Thread: 2.8 spun crank

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    what side of town ore you on,?
    depending on what you want to do if you want to do a lap I would suggest diesel.
    If you only use it for weekends away and shorter trips under 1000 K then the ls1 may suit you better
    I'm sort of going through the same dilemma even though there is nothing wrong with my motor ATM.
    I also want to convert mine into a dual cab but thats another story.
    TD 4.2 would be nice as the value will go up I think or at least hold a decent price
    Im up in Bacchus marsh plan was to do a 3month trip with friends this year
    Think id prefer diesel but some power would be nice
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    A TD42 coversion from RD28 will also include a gearbox and transfer case as well. Yours is one of a number of RD28s that have the same damage. I have had a look for threads with info on successful repairs, but came up with nothing. I think someone had there stripped keyway welded.
    I know gear box needs to be changed but i thought the transfer cases were all interchangeable
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

4. The Following User Says Thank You to patrol2.8 For This Useful Post:

mudnut (3rd January 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully you are correct.
    Last edited by mudnut; 3rd January 2015 at 09:22 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    what side of town ore you on,?
    depending on what you want to do if you want to do a lap I would suggest diesel.
    If you only use it for weekends away and shorter trips under 1000 K then the ls1 may suit you better
    I'm sort of going through the same dilemma even though there is nothing wrong with my motor ATM.
    I also want to convert mine into a dual cab but thats another story.
    TD 4.2 would be nice as the value will go up I think or at least hold a decent price
    So now a TD24 would be nice?

The other day you were against it mentioning they were slow and thirsty and the ls1 was the go. Which one is it?....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a while i finally went with an L76 with the 6 spd auto engine out of a Ve ss.The engine should be in this weekend so hopefully have her back on the road within a couple of weeks figured the amount of trouble i had with trying to find a mechanic to fix the old 2.8 and the availability and the relative cheapness of the ls motors had nothing to lose based on on research and a guy i know who can tune the ls motors their claiming they can get 14 lt per 100ks out of it but we will see

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by patrol2.8 View Post
    Been a while i finally went with an L76 with the 6 spd auto engine out of a Ve ss.The engine should be in this weekend so hopefully have her back on the road within a couple of weeks figured the amount of trouble i had with trying to find a mechanic to fix the old 2.8 and the availability and the relative cheapness of the ls motors had nothing to lose based on on research and a guy i know who can tune the ls motors their claiming they can get 14 lt per 100ks out of it but we will see
    Nice mate. In a way a good outcome.
    Let us know how you go with those fuel figures.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the same problem just recently, common with Rd28Ts woodruff key lets go. engine still performing well like yours after a lot of research including replace engine the cheapest option was to strip down the engine have the crank titanium welded ,Why did i not just buy another second hand crank, ? because their like finding gold teeth in a chook, [though you might be luckier,] a new Nissan crank is worth an arm and 2 legs. you will probably need a new harmonic balancer of course, & if you decide to go this way replace your big end & main bearings as well. I also had it balanced, that has improved the power and fuel economy significantly, worth the extra $$ Replaced all the necessary oil seals & other bits & pieces too. Everything $ wise came in well under a second hand or new engine. Good luck mate Rob Ness

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rob Ness For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th August 2016), patrol2.8 (22nd August 2016), proxima (7th March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Nice mate. In a way a good outcome.
    Let us know how you go with those fuel figures.
    figures ive been getting without a tune are 17ltr per 100 and with the caravan on 22 per 100 thats running it on 91 ulp
    so all up pretty happy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to patrol2.8 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (9th August 2016)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12