Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Michael's V8Y62

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't forgotten about this forum just haven't had much time to do devote to the internet.

To sum up the last month with Pearl we have been out a each weekend for a day trip and I have driven her to work twice a week. I am getting to know the various features she has over time. Took Pearl out today before fuel prices rise by 40 cents per litre to fill her up and do a family day out. Filled up with E10 near the Vineyards at Pokolbin for 183.5 Newcastle prices rose to over $2.20 yesterday and much of the rest of the Hunter Valley went up this morning. Checked the trip metre and had done 399 km and used 59.29 litres which gives me 14.108 litres/100 km (or 20.023 MPG in the old language). I am extremely happy with this.

Also bought a trunk boots mats liner for the rear of Pearl. I will be fitting it tomorrow.
    Michael.
    Vehicle: Pearl: 2019 Y62 Ti.
    Modifications: none yet.
    Michael Built FB page
    Hacking the VK56VD ROM thread and GitHub page.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to V8Y62 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th August 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd also mention that I filled 5 Jerry cans with 100 litres of fuel and put them securely in the back of Pearl. There was a noticeable difference in how Pearl handled with the extra weight of the 5 full Jerry cans. I imagine it would be much worse with a long range tank if there is no change to the suspension. So I am researching suspension modifications for both front (because I have the bull bar) and rear (because I eventually want to fit a long range tank). I am thinking of height adjustable air bags for the rear and slightly increased load capacity front springs.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

Thanks
    Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Y62 View Post
    I thought I'd also mention that I filled 5 Jerry cans with 100 litres of fuel and put them securely in the back of Pearl. There was a noticeable difference in how Pearl handled with the extra weight of the 5 full Jerry cans. I imagine it would be much worse with a long range tank if there is no change to the suspension. So I am researching suspension modifications for both front (because I have the bull bar) and rear (because I eventually want to fit a long range tank). I am thinking of height adjustable air bags for the rear and slightly increased load capacity front springs.
    I haven’t reset my economy reading for about 6 months and it sits at 15.6l/100. This is probably over 50% around town driving too. Your 14.1l/100 figure is around what I get mostly highway driving.

Will be interested to hear what you choose with regards to front and rear suspension for added loads. I chose heavier progressive-rate springs in my Y61 due to my personal belief of having the springs work harder, not the chassis, but the Y62 is an entirely different suspension setup so I haven’t done anything to the factory setup yet (I also haven’t modified or loaded this one as much as the Y61).

I installed an Opposite Lock bullbar on my Y62 and although it has not exceeded maximum permitted loading to the front end, it noticeably affected the performance of the front suspension through corners. It’s a fantastic bullbar however and I’m happy with its aesthetics and protection and will be interested in your front end upgrades and feedback.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (14th August 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    I haven’t reset my economy reading for about 6 months and it sits at 15.6l/100. This is probably over 50% around town driving too. Your 14.1l/100 figure is around what I get mostly highway driving.
    I do some stop start driving but not alot, most of my driving is steady speed from 40-100kmh and gentle acceleration.

Will be interested to hear what you choose with regards to front and rear suspension for added loads. I chose heavier progressive-rate springs in my Y61 due to my personal belief of having the springs work harder, not the chassis, but the Y62 is an entirely different suspension setup so I haven’t done anything to the factory setup yet (I also haven’t modified or loaded this one as much as the Y61).
    To a certain extent I agree with your feelings about setting up a suspension and yes the Y62 is a totaly differnt beast compared to a GU/GQ (or live axle Toyotas like my 75 series Troopy). For the rears I think I'll save up for airbags with automatic ride height adjustments. After doing some reading after my last post I don't know what I'm going to do with the front apart from more research.

I installed an Opposite Lock bullbar on my Y62 and although it has not exceeded maximum permitted loading to the front end, it noticeably affected the performance of the front suspension through corners. It’s a fantastic bullbar however and I’m happy with its aesthetics and protection and will be interested in your front end upgrades and feedback.
    It will take some planning, I also want to fit a winch and don't want to go through this twice. I'll keep posting my thoughts and look forward to your input.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

Thanks
    Thanked 7,022 Times in 3,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Y62 View Post
    I do some stop start driving but not alot, most of my driving is steady speed from 40-100kmh and gentle acceleration.

To a certain extent I agree with your feelings about setting up a suspension and yes the Y62 is a totaly differnt beast compared to a GU/GQ (or live axle Toyotas like my 75 series Troopy). For the rears I think I'll save up for airbags with automatic ride height adjustments. After doing some reading after my last post I don't know what I'm going to do with the front apart from more research.

It will take some planning, I also want to fit a winch and don't want to go through this twice. I'll keep posting my thoughts and look forward to your input.
    My only comment really is regards to your requirement for an electric winch. I have had winches for years and only ever used one for recovery on four occasions. Twice were hand winch recoveries before I had an electric winch, and twice with an electric winch. So that's 4 times in 17 years of 4x4ing I've needed winch recovery. No, I'm not into "extreme" offroading but have done a lot of advanced tracks I suppose you could say and evidently nearly every time I could work myself out of the predicament without a winch. I don't plan to install one into the Y62.
    Last edited by Plasnart; 14th August 2023 at 08:40 PM.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (19th August 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,286 Times in 492 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 litres of fuel is less then 100kg, so I would say it equals the weight of a passenger. Wouldn't it be too much to consider upgrading the suspension over "one extra passenger"?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    100 litres of fuel is less then 100kg, so I would say it equals the weight of a passenger. Wouldn't it be too much to consider upgrading the suspension over "one extra passenger"?
    It works out to be around 70 extra kilograms but it was a very noticable difference in vehicle handling. The issue is probably also linked to where the weight was, behind the 3 row seats, and as such I do think I need to research it and do something because if it has a drastic change for 100 litres what will it do with 150+ litres if I fit a long range tank and add more weight by towing. It may just need a wheel alignment to sort it out but if I don't research it I will never know. Ah the joys of getting used to a new, to me, vehicle.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only comment really is regards to your requirement for an electric winch. I have had winches for years and only ever used one for recovery on four occasions. Twice were hand winch recoveries before I had an electric winch, and twice with an electric winch. So that's 4 times in 17 years of 4x4ing I've needed winch recovery. No, I'm not into "extreme" offroading but have done a lot of advanced tracks I suppose you could say and evidently nearly every time I could work myself out of the predicament without a winch. I don't plan to install one into the Y62.
    I totally understand your point. I've owned a 4wd for 22 years now and have never had anything but a hand winch as well. My front paddock is about 10 acres and I took my old wagon in there a couple of years ago to get some fallen timber out for the slow combustion fire in the house. It got bogged due to La Nina bucketing H2O down. Anyway the only way I could get my old Commodore Wagon out was to snatch it out with my VC Commodore with over 100 metres of straps to join the two vehicles.
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of the airbag replacement coil delete on the back of these. It just makes sense. Infinitely variable continuously adjusting the ride height to the optimum postion for exact Wheel alignment. Adjusts as you use fuel, adjsuts as you take and offload passengers, etc, etc,. Given the wheel alignment is so fickle with these the rear tyre scrubbing is a big deal if you are towing constantly. This is 100% the way i will go on the 62.

I have not done anything to the front springs for the Rhino bar and Runva winch yet, it seems ok at this point. The winch has Plasma rope and the Battery was swapped out for a DCS80 Lithum so that cgave me back some wieght.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

V8Y62 (19th August 2023)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    This is 100% the way i will go on the 62.
    I agree they do seem to be the ultimate option for vehicles that are used for towing, which I will eventually do. What system are you looking at using for your automatic height control?
    Michael.
    Michael Built FB page

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast