Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bastard won’t start

Hi all new to the group
    Recently brought a GU 4.2ti 2003 series 3
    Had it just over 2 weeks now started being a prick to start on cold mornings so I replaced the glow plugs all was good after that .
    Decided to change my trailer plug from round Pin to flat pin plug and decided to hook up my LED spotlights all was good after that took it for a drive no problem at all .
    Went out the next morning car wouldn’t start only would wind over found I had no power to my glow plug bar thought that was odd

Hooked the positive from my battery straight to the glow plug bar it then started i then Replaced the glow plug relay it started straight away

Went out this morning wouldn’t start again after glowing several times but did after hooking the leads up again to the glow bar Is it possible I’ve fried yet another relay I thought that it would go through my fuse first or could it just be a earth problem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Patrols are renown for earthing issues. This could be affecting your glow issues. Not sure. I would clean up all the earth points you can find first. Check the fuse aswell. Test the relay to see if its working or not. Theres plenty of how to's on youtube to do this. its quite simple. The glow plug bar or power wire is in contact with something it shouldn't be? Have you got the plastic washers under the bar on each glow plug? or did you remove them?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Tricky (17th July 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was thinking the earth could be an issue
    The 100amp fuse is new cause I replaced that aswell I never seen any plastic washers on the old glow plugs but I will definitely look at the new ones didn’t come with any either is that something that has to be on there to stop them from arcing ?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah its like a plastic or a non conductive piece. Its there so that the power rail is only in contact with the post on the glow plug and not the outer section of the plug as far as I know. Maybe run a DMM across the body of each plug and the rail and see if there is a circuit happening.
    But I do know there should be some contact, as thats how a glow plug works. Apply power and the resistance in the plugs contact gets hot, like how a heater element would kinda work. So a bad earth from the motor to the chassis might be the cause???
    My knowledge is limited on this.
    Last edited by mudski; 17th July 2020 at 12:38 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Tricky (17th July 2020)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found the problem happen to have a look under my dash and found a broken ignition wire that had accidentally been spliced at some point 🤟 a few hundred bucks later wasted but all is good
    Thanks for your help mudski

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tricky For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (17th July 2020), MudRunnerTD (17th July 2020), mudski (17th July 2020), PeeBee (17th July 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    I have found the problem happen to have a look under my dash and found a broken ignition wire that had accidentally been spliced at some point 🤟 a few hundred bucks later wasted but all is good
    Thanks for your help mudski
    If I still had all the money I've spent fixing the wrong thing I'd have paid off my house by now.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (17th July 2020)