Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2012 GU Harsh Factory Suspension

Hey All,

I'd been assuming since I picked my 2012 up a few months back that the suspension had been upgraded to something a lot heavier for towing as the previous owner had fitted electric brake controller and the ride is very harsh. I bought a 2000 GU new and I'm positive the ride was quite a bit smoother back then. After dropping in at my mechanic mate and checking it out, it appears to be factory springs and shocks.

So, is anyone aware of this paticular year model coming out with stiff suspension? I'm open to suggestions on alternates in terms of shocks but not planning to change the standard height as I've not needed to years ago and my driving habits are somewhat tamed compared to the old days. I'm basically after a smoother ride without compromising handling which is pretty damn good at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Buy standard height Old Man Emu . Worth every cent.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pspeirs View Post
    Hey All,

I'd been assuming since I picked my 2012 up a few months back that the suspension had been upgraded to something a lot heavier for towing as the previous owner had fitted electric brake controller and the ride is very harsh. I bought a 2000 GU new and I'm positive the ride was quite a bit smoother back then. After dropping in at my mechanic mate and checking it out, it appears to be factory springs and shocks.

So, is anyone aware of this paticular year model coming out with stiff suspension? I'm open to suggestions on alternates in terms of shocks but not planning to change the standard height as I've not needed to years ago and my driving habits are somewhat tamed compared to the old days. I'm basically after a smoother ride without compromising handling which is pretty damn good at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul
    I’m pretty sure suspension was standard in all those models, I replaced mine with a lift kit after 1000km. Only got rid of the old springs last year, check around there would be plenty of near new ones that people have laying around.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, was wondering if anyone was aware of the shocks being a little harder around that year model or not. Having some issues convincing the finance department to agree to the release of funds though :-) Have been recommended the KYB Scorched Fours shocks by the guys at King springs, any experience with those.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pspeirs View Post
    Yeah, was wondering if anyone was aware of the shocks being a little harder around that year model or not. Having some issues convincing the finance department to agree to the release of funds though :-) Have been recommended the KYB Scorched Fours shocks by the guys at King springs, any experience with those.
    Never heard of them to be honest. The Shocks make a Big difference here. Honestly as a No Brainer i would be going with Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks in standard height. Give ARB a call and ask for a price. if there is only a couple of $100 in it then its a No Brainer. the rest of the World has been chasing OME for years mate. Reliable and well built.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (21st November 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a 2012 gu8 ST from new and original suspension was soft and comfortable. Good all around.
    I set it up for towing and had 300kg rear springs and medium fronts with bullbar and winch. Tjm gold shocks all around.
    Was horrible to drive without the caravan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will give me something to think about, was never that keen on ome from years back, but that was leaf all round. Might revisit

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems none of the guys working at the local OME stockists are actually using their product, apart from one guy with springs

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've never had any other suspension on all my 4x4's. So can't comment on others.
    But I've found OME to be great.
    Not so long ago I took a ride in a similar car to mine which had the BP OME shocks and it blew my mind away how smooth the ride was...
    2005 TD42TI

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That’s the key, it would be good to find a few different vehicles in the area and catch a ride, might work on that before deciding

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast