Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UHF radios

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha i have enough problems working this out with just the legal gear :-)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo2410 View Post
    Another question ... I will be fitting a flush mount passthrough .. are the handsets a standard ethernet plug? Or do different brands have different plugs/sockets?
    My gme has a standard Ethernet type plug for the handset from memory.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that, I will order a flush mount socket when I buy the radio and antenna :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickhead View Post
    Or for something totally different....I have used one of these for a couple of years with great results.. BUT.. they are not quite legal due to 25 watt output and also if you transmit off channel you may be noticed....
    When you transmit at 25w does it have any impact on nearby users of legal wattage units? Also what is the advantage, - can you transmit for longer distances? What does 'transmit off channel' mean? can you set your own frequencies? Just an enquiring mind - no plans to change what I have.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to be transmitting at 10 times the legal power to get twice the distance on UHF frequencies. The advantage is greater clarity ie higher volume received, however nothing that would blow a standard speaker up, might be very loud and simply require turning down.

Transmit off channel - unsure if that refers to not using a gazetted frequency or using a freq that is licenced to someone else. I don't think it means transmitting on a slightly different frequency, but it could be I suppose - such as say you buy a radio and program it yourself - although I would have thought that would be off freq rather than off channel as the channel is clearly designated with the assigned frequency. You cannot set your own frequencies as the ACMA regulates the 'spectrum to ensure it can segregate the airwaves and basically get revenue from its use.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    When you transmit at 25w does it have any impact on nearby users of legal wattage units? Also what is the advantage, - can you transmit for longer distances? What does 'transmit off channel' mean? can you set your own frequencies? Just an enquiring mind - no plans to change what I have.
    25 watt - for radios the wattage is a measure of the carrier wave power at the set and you lose power from that point on thru the coax and antenna then obviously the atmosphere.
    Propogation is determined by inverse square IE to double the range of a signal you need four times the transmitter power
    There is no effect on the nearby users, same as driving past a radio station doesn't change the volume or blow up your FM radio BUT what does happen is now that you are Txing lets assume twice as far you blot out other distant users who could have been using the same freq otherwise because prev they were out of range.
    That can be a real PIA on repeater freq's

Transmit off channel - In Oz we now have 80 channels in what was once the same spread or frequency band as 40 channels.
    Each assigned channel has a carrier frequency on which the "voice" is carried and has to have a "gap" from the next to prevent cross talk or co channel interference or other techo guff (the adjacent channel interfering). This gap previously required in old gear and 40 channel days has been effectively halved due to the quality and technology improvements today but elcheapo sets may not be good enough to meet spec.
    Someone on, say 20, with an elcheapo Chinee set can potentially blot out users up to twice as far away and also on the channels either side of 20.
    The sets come "blank" IE you name each channel and program the bandwidth, carrier etc etc so same issue arises if you program a typo or whatever into the set

Full disclosure - I have non-compliant sets (Wouxun brand) capable of tx'ing on higher power than allowed on Oz CB freqs and you take the chance of having them seized at time of import by customs when purchasing. I used to use them on licenced freqs that legally allow higher power but to the letter of the law the sets are illegal in Oz due to the manuf not locking out our CB bands from the sets programming chip
    Last edited by the evil twin; 24th April 2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (24th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    All of the above Cuppa. The unit pictured is of remarkably high quality, but you need to be careful to stick to the proper 80 channel narrow band frequencies, if you start messing around off channel eg 450 Mhz where this unit is capable of transmitting, you may get a talking to via the ACMA. If it is set up properly you will have a capable UHF at a fraction of the price, and if you were up ship creek you have extra frequencies to find help.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234