Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

efs 2" lift wagon

hi all,
    so brought the patrol couple years ago with a efs suspension lift already in it. (i think 2")
    drives ok apart from slight death wobbles around 80-100kph and pulls left abit. i drive holding the wheel at about 1 o'clock i let go and the wheel turns to 11 o'clock and pulls me left

as far as i can tell the 4 shocks are efs and the steering stabilizer as well. coils may also be aftermarket i dont know though cause they are black and could be genuine.

i know the sway bar links, brake lines and front radius arm bushes are all stock.
    also the rear brake bias (brake proportional valve) brake is all stock

i know its a lift because its higher than other stock patrols i know of i would guess 2" (not more that's for sure)

my aim would be to have no pulling left issues..
    my question as well is i made a home made bracket to move the brake bias bracket up 50mm and test drove all ok. honestly i couldn't tell any difference .
    except when i came to a final stop felt like the rear brakes were slightly holding and caused noise and squeal. i took the bracket off not and seam good again.

i read that 2" lift and bellow doesn't need sway bar links and bias bracket. but why would companies like superior engineering sell brackets for brake bias to suit 2-3" lifts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy anything these days aftermarket mate ,lifted the GQ and altered nothing else except recently finally had the spacers put in to move the front diff forward .
    If your Patrol has the wobbles it's more than likely else where like bearings ,wheel balance or a worn bush somewhere .

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would agree wheel bearings prehaps cause ive not re-packed them ever. brought the car with 160,000km now has 190,000km and i dont know when the last re-pack was. i tightened them about 10-15,000km ago did make it better.
    i have all the gear to do it just abit lazy lol
    i know the radius bushes have small cracks and wheels i dont know..

any idea on the pulling left read alot and would seam that wheel allignment but not much adjusting to be had a read.
    sources say you need adjustable drag ling arm or panhard?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I get older I tend to forget the proper names of parts etc but we had a maverick that had the shakes something shocking and took it to a guy who got underneath and made me turn the steering wheel left and right , turns out the bush on the (I think) panhard Rod had free play and was worn .
    He just tightened the shit out of the nut and it stopped it from wobbling straight away so do you have any free play in the steering wheel at all .

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i will have to check that, i do know there is a recall on some gu's where they do add a small bracket to the front panhard. the recall calls to tighten the nut to about 130nm. i cant order the part unless my car was apart of the recall so i cant get it haha.
    but knowing that nut on the passenger side is possible to come loose to the point where nissan made a recall, i should check mine there. and 130nm would be good place to start thanks for the idea

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any thoughts on my pulling to the left issue?
    One stage I was going to pull the steering wheel and rotate is anti clock wise so at least when driving in a straight line I’d have the steering wheel centred. But if I let go it would still pull to the left.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    Any thoughts on my pulling to the left issue?
    One stage I was going to pull the steering wheel and rotate is anti clock wise so at least when driving in a straight line I’d have the steering wheel centred. But if I let go it would still pull to the left.
    When looking at the front of you car, do your wheels look like they're sitting evenly in the guards? If not, adjustable panhard will sort that.
    Adjustable draglink I believe should help sort out the pulling to the left. I think there's also some sort of adjustment that can be made on the steering box also (but don't quote me on that).
    Don't take off your steering wheel to straighten it, as all you'll do is alter your lock to lock.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had the puling left issue in my GU. The left side off camber on the roads don't help at all.
    I took it to a mob called Pro Axle, a very reputable front end allignment company. They first made sure everything else was good. In the end the only fix for mine was a return to centre steering damper. *puts on flame proof suit*. Many say they are shit and just a bandaid to fix the issue but none can say what the actual fix is. Pro Axle said theres nothing wrong with them, I can't either, I've now had one for probably three years. The only small issue is your steering will be slightly heavier, but after an hour of driving you wont even know the difference.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I had the puling left issue in my GU. The left side off camber on the roads don't help at all.
    I took it to a mob called Pro Axle, a very reputable front end allignment company. They first made sure everything else was good. In the end the only fix for mine was a return to centre steering damper. *puts on flame proof suit*. Many say they are shit and just a bandaid to fix the issue but none can say what the actual fix is. Pro Axle said theres nothing wrong with them, I can't either, I've now had one for probably three years. The only small issue is your steering will be slightly heavier, but after an hour of driving you wont even know the difference.
    so my plan of attack will be,
    *repack wheel bearings and tighten if needed
    *replace steering dampener (mudski do you recomend a brand of the return to centre one)
    *Adjustable draglink + wheel allignment but this might wait abit because id like 2 new tyres.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    so my plan of attack will be,
    *repack wheel bearings and tighten if needed
    *replace steering dampener (mudski do you recomend a brand of the return to centre one)
    *Adjustable draglink + wheel allignment but this might wait abit because id like 2 new tyres.
    If you're getting the wobbles, You may find them being masked by fitting an RTC damper. Better off sorting out the wobbles before fitting the RTC..... My opinion only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast