Thread: Nissan TD42Ti wont start

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nissan TD42Ti wont start

Hi Guys

My wife drove down to the shops to pick up groceries in and out 5 mins, only to find out the car wont start, there is just under quarter of a tank of fuel so i don't think that is the problem unless there is water or shit in the fuel, but there was no warning or spluttering of any kind, it drove down to the shops ok where she turned it off and when she returned it failed to start.
    So i had to go and pick her up and my Nissan is still sitting there and i am going back to check what i can and take a jerry can with me just in case, but if it's not the fuel i was thinking maybe the immobilizer playing is up as it happened very sudden but how do you check that ?
    Anyone have any idea's what else could be the problem.

Back soon.
    2006 Y61 Nissan Patrol TD42Ti Modified Turbo & 3' Exhaust Compliments of United Fuel Injection Perth WA
    Great White Spotties and Bar Light, Ironman Barwork the rest is standard "What more do you need it's Already a Nissan Patrol"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo53 View Post
    Hi Guys

My wife drove down to the shops to pick up groceries in and out 5 mins, only to find out the car wont start, there is just under quarter of a tank of fuel so i don't think that is the problem unless there is water or shit in the fuel, but there was no warning or spluttering of any kind, it drove down to the shops ok where she turned it off and when she returned it failed to start.
    So i had to go and pick her up and my Nissan is still sitting there and i am going back to check what i can and take a jerry can with me just in case, but if it's not the fuel i was thinking maybe the immobilizer playing is up as it happened very sudden but how do you check that ?

Back soon.
    possible fuel filter mate? is it cranking but not firing? need a little more info sorry.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (11th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day Mojo Mate!
    If it will crank over (starter motor powered up) check your diesel priming plunger for hard pressure.
    It is located under the bonnet on the drivers side closest to the windscreen area.
    Should look like a flat black nob sitting on top above the diesel fuel filter.
    Use both hands pressing down on it as if you were performing CPR and it should be rock solid to show you have diesel ready and n the lines to feed the pump.
    Start with that and we can all guide you to next steps hopefully although a TD42T ‘i’ has extra electrical stuff to the pump I’m unsure of it’s workings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (11th March 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    NATS fail for sure mate.

Read This

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ght-staying-on
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (8th March 2021), mojo53 (11th March 2021), Rossco (8th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo53 View Post
    Hi Guys

Back soon.
    Hey mate, just read your sig line, you say yoy have UFI. Just turbo or turbo AND pump? If it is And Pump then the NATS has been removed. If yoy are running the OEM 11mm pump then I bet my Left Nut your NATS has failed. Read the above thread mate. There are a couple of other threads about on the forum too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (11th March 2021), Stropp (11th April 2021)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so witch models GU TD42 have Nats ?
    don't think my 2005 has it ?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tip12345 For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th March 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    It should ... Do you have the little red light on top of the dashboard?
    My 2005 td42ti has it.
    It will be the sensor at the pump in sure if it.

Follow Mudrunners link.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tip12345 View Post
    100% you have NATS. (Nissan Anti Theft System) no chance you don't have it. Mine is a 2005.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone needs to kindly create a thread on how to remove that NATS crap then
    None of my TD42 or TD42T donks had that electrical caper and glad as what a debacle it would be out in the middle of nowhere
    Aftermarket theft systems too on any truck, highly not recommended if going off grid IMHO.
    Once had to battery hotwire a mates 6.5NA simple diesel injection pump too due to his aftermarket theft junk useless contraption added deep in the mountains

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

mojo53 (11th March 2021), MudRunnerTD (9th March 2021), Rossco (10th March 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    @MB this is basically a walk through. Crude but lays it out.

I cant confirm but assume thr NATS was added when the GU went to the TD42Ti.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (9th March 2021), Stropp (11th April 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast