Thread: Climbing Uluru to be banned from Oct 2019

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Climbing Uluru to be banned from Oct 2019

If you haven`t done it already it might be time to plan that trip to Uluru if you want to climb the rock. I was there in 2012 but respected the traditional owners request not to climb it but it seems that that is what most people go there to do.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-0...form=hootsuite
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

dom14 (8th November 2017), GQtdauto (1st November 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a hot topic for a while , been there but didn't (couldn't ) climb although plenty did , if you look objectively at the issue and talk to any of the traditional owners they see it as someone walking over a grave and I can personally respect that .
    Climbing the rock was not why we went there , on the other hand there are a lot of tracks that are becoming very expensive to get a permit for and some that it's virtually impossible and I think this is a bigger issue .
    Uluru is not even the biggest rock in oz just another high priced tourist trap if you ask me .

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

katwoman (1st November 2017), VK2FMIA (1st November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About time too!

I too respected the Anangu people's request not to climb in 2009, but had previously climbed 'in ignorance' back in 2000.

There will be those who express their belief that as an Aussie they have the right to climb Uluru, & some who will express their ingrained hatred of indigenous Australians but I consider that the need to respect the right of the traditional owners to say what is & is not acceptable, ie. no longer a 'request', is important.

IMHO the delay of two years before implementing the decision should not be necessary but I guess it's a political decison.

"Closing the climb is not something to feel upset about but a cause for celebration."

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

VK2FMIA (1st November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    About time too!

I too respected the Anangu people's request not to climb in 2009, but had previously climbed 'in ignorance' back in 2000.

There will be those who express their belief that as an Aussie they have the right to climb Uluru, & some who will express their ingrained hatred of indigenous Australians but I consider that the need to respect the right of the traditional owners to say what is & is not acceptable, ie. no longer a 'request', is important.

IMHO the delay of two years before implementing the decision should not be necessary but I guess it's a political decison.

"Closing the climb is not something to feel upset about but a cause for celebration."
    Agree Cuppa

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was lucky enough to climb it in 2012 as well. Long and steep climb but well worth it, especially seeing the Olga’s from the top

................on the road

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Bush Ranger (1st November 2017), GQtdauto (1st November 2017), growler2058 (9th November 2017), Plasnart (2nd November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah i climbed it in 98ish returned in 05ish and didn't climb. Yeah definatly respect wishes not too climb, can't remember if it was as discouraged when i did it but glad i got the opportunity i guess was pretty cool . . . Special place that's for sure. .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (1st November 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this subject, and I will defend your right to yours.

Mine is this ...... I do not consider Aboriginals as "traditional owners" of this land. It has been acknowledged in the past by Aboriginal elders that the "Bradshaw rock paintings" were done by others long before them, and that they have no knowledge of their history or existence. How can you claim to be "traditional owners" and be acknowledged as such, if you were not the first people to populate this country?
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 2nd November 2017 at 08:30 AM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bazzaboy For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (1st November 2017), Rumcajs (1st November 2017), threedogs (4th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plane that I was in, when travelling to WA one year, happened to fly over Ayres Rock and was the only time that I decided to leave my camera behind.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzaboy View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this subject, and I will defend your right to yours.

Mine is this ...... I do not consider Aboriginals as "traditional owners" of this land. It has been acknowledged in the past by Aboriginal elders that the "Bradshaw rock paintings" were done by others long before them, and that they have no knowledge of their history or existence. How can you claim to be "traditional owners" and be acknowledged as such, if you were not the first people populate this country?
    While I partially agree, there is a point to make: just to be first somewhere doesn't mean it either. What was made by the nature should and shall not be claimed by anyone in terms of ownership. I find the whole idea preposterous.

While the concept of exploiting the surrounding for one's benefit might do in being the first there, e.g. flying to moon and mining some rocks there and bring them back to Earth means one might claim ownership of those rocks but not the Moon.....

Same can be said in regards to building one's dwelling on a land but actually being an owner of said land is completely wrong.

We as a society would do well to oppose this ludicrous idea of having individual or specific group ownership over the rocks, sands, rivers, forests (especially the ones we have not planted!)As a nation geo-politically speaking we are the beneficiaries of the place but that is it. We don't own this dirt no more then others did before us or after us.

So while the "first nations" groups might be able to claim some sort of moral acknowledgement in regards to the land use, they're not the owners nor can they be. This planet existed long before puny "homo erectus" or "home sapiens" species walked on it. Call me what you want but this sort of appropriation nonsense is exactly what is wrong with us as the species, always thinking that we can own something the nature has provided.

We are only permitted to use said land for limited time and as such should ensure that we do our utmost to preserve it in the best shape for the future generations.

I do see the point in limiting or prohibiting the ascend to Ayers Rock/Uluru (whatever ones's chooses to call it) for safety reasons and even then from the point of the first responders only as any rescues and or assistance there is done at the great peril and people are generally mostly stupid when it comes to behaving responsibly. Maybe there is a time the Darwinism is allowed to flourish.... stupid enough to climb it, then getting in to strife there, so be it you've choosen your destiny...

If the ban means that those ugly chains, rubbish and idiots won't be ruining the place then so be it.

Regards
    Last edited by Rumcajs; 1st November 2017 at 09:17 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rumcajs For This Useful Post:

bazzaboy (2nd November 2017), growler2058 (9th November 2017), jff45 (4th November 2017), katwoman (1st November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    of course people own land,don't we buy it and out a house on it?
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast