OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: ST GQ 1997 RD28 to TD42 Turbo Conversion & Build.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ST GQ 1997 RD28 to TD42 Turbo Conversion & Build.

G'day guys!

Thought i'd start a thread to run as i do my conversion and build so everything i do can be run past guys who've done it before and hopefully who will stop me doing any stupid/unnesscecary mods.

I have bought myself a 1997 ST GQ wagon with a RD28 that has blown head gasket in, along with a 1989 Turboed TD42 (has done 350k, but was rebuilt at 250k when turbo went on, came out of an old grandpas GQ, who had it for aaageerrrsss and seems perfectly clean - He was crying when took wreck, he had to say goodbye to his pride and joy when he rear ended some1 and bent chassis), and gearbox & crossmember & most bits that i think i will need to convert.

I have just got my inspection certification today, so will be starting to pull apart very shortly. plan is to strip all RD28 stuff, mount TD42 gearbox & tailshafts (should all bolt in im assuming) - then try and organise absolutely everything I need (clutch, engine mount mod, etc.) then get engine in with the help of some mates.

IMG_20161022_151808.jpgIMG_20161023_083235.jpg

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandgroper For This Useful Post:

AB (16th November 2016), mudnut (16th November 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok here's my first question ......

Once I everything all out and ready to go .... will it be easier to get the engine or gearbox in first?? .... Coz i'll do whatever is best to do first by myself next week if all goes to plan.

Also.... how have you guys found easiest to crack the bolts on the flywheel?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update

Went and got her licensed today! ... so will rip into the RD28 removal next week! .... (if this sounds confusing... i decided to license first so all the paper work i need to do after is an engine swap form

Wondering for a method to get gearbox in and out without a transmission jack??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
    Update

Went and got her licensed today! ... so will rip into the RD28 removal next week! .... (if this sounds confusing... i decided to license first so all the paper work i need to do after is an engine swap form

Wondering for a method to get gearbox in and out without a transmission jack??
    Fun times.... once engine is removed I used a trolley jack underneath and engine crane up front to lower gearbox down onto a board of ply. Then had straps on the ply to slide it out from under car. I actually put the gearbox back in on my own.... pain in the arse, heavy suckers.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah ok sounds acheivable! .... O really?, as in by yourself!?!?! .... think ill need some help! or lotsa red bull!! haha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post
    Yeah ok sounds acheivable! .... O really?, as in by yourself!?!?! .... think ill need some help! or lotsa red bull!! haha
    Yeah on my lone some. Definitely get a mate to give you a hand, I had a mate help get it out and it was a million times easier.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bad! .... yeh i will be! ... just finished school for the year, so hoping to have it all done before it starts again!!

Sorry i'm only using this forum on laptop and hardly ever get onto it ... thanx for interest and help!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok .... sorry have forgotten about computer for a while, but here's where im at.

- Engine and gearbox Removed
    - Exhaust Removed
    - Got Flywheel Machined and Bought new heavy duty clutch (Paul Remaj engine recon from albany did the flywheel and heavy duty clutch with spigot bearing and bush in crank for $500 )
    - Cleaned up a lot of old wiring and anything i can - but could you please help us with what i can and cannot remove out of the engine bay? ... I would love some pictures of a factory engine bay so i can remove everything thats been done and do it all again myself PROPERLY!!!!!, I HATE dodgi wiring!!!!
    - Changed Rear Pinion flange (noticed that the 2.8 rear flange is the same size as the 4.2 front ... can i swap it?)

Things I would really appreciate help on;

- Clutch slave, it is on the opposite side of gearbox to the RD28.... anyone whos done the conversion can help how to get the hose over there, do you just get the hoses from the master down off a wreck td42 so its all factory?
    - Engine bay wiring and components - does anyone have a diagram of whats in there from factory?, i'd love to remove every accessory and then do it all again properly myself.
    - Front diff flange. I bought a TD42 flange for the rear and now noticed that the 2.8 rear flange fits the front TD42 driveshaft, will this be ok to use?

Will get some photos ASAP .... my phone just doesnt take them.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandgroper For This Useful Post:

Touses (7th August 2017)