Thread: Driving from Wollongong, NSW to Perth, WA

Thanks
    Thanked 3,786 Times in 2,089 Posts
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    now thats the information im looking for!!! were in a subaru outback, so it should be nice and comfortable even on the dirt. is there a name for this road or should i just look up a dirt road from norseman to hyden?

oh and will using it save me time? lol
    When I drove on it a couple of months ago they had only just reopened it due to the rain, slippery in some places but still sat on 100kph for most of it.
    It is called Hyden Norseman Rd, cuts about 100ks of the mian road, hardly any traffic just watch for mine trucks on crests and bends.
    When you get to Norseman just ask directions at any service station.
    If any members require assistance in anything regarding this forum, just let me know via a PM and I will help you in any way that I can.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuppa View Post
    When I drove on it a couple of months ago they had only just reopened it due to the rain, slippery in some places but still sat on 100kph for most of it.
    It is called Hyden Norseman Rd, cuts about 100ks of the mian road, hardly any traffic just watch for mine trucks on crests and bends.
    Thats what I was refering to in my post. Didn't know what sort of car he had at that time, so said to stay on the black stuff.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuppa View Post
    thanks mate! i just had a look, on google maps its called the Mort Harslett Drive which turns into the Hyden Norsemann Road. thanks for the tip! bloody ripper!
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Guys,

Im helping my sister drive her car to Perth this weekend. .....
    following Google Maps would be the best thing hey? driving across SA is pretty simple, and NSW i know that area very well but WA, it says to get to Norsmann and head north to Coolgardie the west onto Perth. is that the best way to do it or is there a more direct route as its quite a big northern detour.

TIA for the advice guys!

Rusty
    I use the road a bit in my meandering and #2 son works at the mines at Forrestania (about 1/2 way in) it is a great shortcut for the southern suburbs destinations

Hyden/Norseman will save you 1 to maybe 2 hours depending on the following

If it is night time when you hit Norseman I would be tempted to use the Hwy via Coolgardie rather than the dirt and wheatbelt roads.

If you are headed to Perth Northern Suburbs I would also probably stay on the Hwy as you lose most of the time saved.

If you plan on using the dirt ask at the Servo at Norseman for the latest conditions
    Last edited by the evil twin; 2nd September 2015 at 09:13 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    I use the road a bit in my meandering and #2 son works at the mines at Forrestania (about 1/2 way in) it is a great shortcut for the southern suburbs destinations

Hyden/Norseman will save you 1 to maybe 2 hours depending on the following

If it is night time when you hit Norseman I would be tempted to use the Hwy via Coolgardie rather than the dirt and wheatbelt roads.

If you are headed to Perth Northern Suburbs I would also probably stay on the Hwy as you lose most of the time saved.

If you plan on using the dirt ask at the Servo at Norseman for the latest conditions
    thanks mate will do, were heading to quinns rocks, so as per you advice we should stick to the hwy right? its just north of perth

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your driving for four days. What's an extra hour or two. Stay safe on the black top. IMHO.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chubba For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (2nd September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    thanks mate will do, were heading to quinns rocks, so as per you advice we should stick to the hwy right? its just north of perth
    For Quinns Rocks I would pretty much def stay on the Great Eastern IE from Norseman to Perth via Coolgardie, Merriden, Northam etc....

At Midland that will feed you onto Roe Hwy and the Reid Hwy/Mitchell Fwy loop towards Quinns
    Last edited by the evil twin; 2nd September 2015 at 10:22 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

4bye4 (2nd September 2015), rusty_nail (2nd September 2015)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Car has broken down at hay. Waiting for a verdict. Off to a great start already. Something fuel related I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Car has broken down at hay. Waiting for a verdict. Off to a great start already. Something fuel related I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    Not good mate, hope its nothing too bad

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (4th September 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope you get going again soon.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 4bye4 For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (4th September 2015)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast