Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Fuel problem - bleeding bulb empty - Primer

Hi All,
    I am having a fuel problem on a 2014 Y61 CRD TD. Particularly after a cold night with a half full fuel tank the engine will not start. The fuel bleeder bulb feels full of air. Squeezing the bulb several times builds pressure in the bulb and the vehicle will usually start. I suspect I am drawing air into the fuel line somewhere but can not see any fuel leakage. The problems only started after I had a second fuel filter installed. The installers say they have looked but can not find any problem.
    Any suggestions
    TIA
    Paul
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th June 2021 at 06:16 PM.
    2014 ST 3.0L CRD Manual | ARB bull bar and dual wheel rear carrier |ARB compressor and front Airlocker | 50mm lift kit and shocks |Safari snorkel |long range tank | dual batteries with Redarc management | rear camera | full length roof rack and awning, Hema HN7, Inverter, solar panels.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First thing to do is Bypass the secondary fuel filter mate. just take the hose of each side and join them for a day or two if the problem does not return that it is clearly that filter. If that is the only change then thats where you start.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (6th May 2021), PRIGBY (5th May 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've now disconnected the second fuel filter and it's made no difference (unfortunately).
    Does anyone know if there is some sort of non-return valve in the fuel lines (to maybe stop fuel running back into the tank)? Know where it might be located?
    Alternatively, could it be a fuel pump issue, with the pump loosing prime?
    I'm struggling to come up with what to look at next.
    One other bit of information (which might or might not be helpful) - I have a ScanGauge fitted and am displaying fuel consumption (as litres/hundred km) which is updated every 2 seconds. Previously to the starting problem the display varied only small amounts (when either accelerating or decelerating). Now it changes by very large amounts (showing up to 20 or 30 lhk with slight acceleration or down to 2 or 3 lhk with slight deceleration). My average consumption is around 14 lhk. As the ScanGauge is reading directly from the engine computer, does anyone know where the sensor for fuel flow is located (and could this be faulty)? I am presuming there is such a sensor.
    BTW, when the Patrol is running after startup, the vehicle seems to drive without fault.
    All and any suggestions most appreciated.
    2014 ST 3.0L CRD Manual | ARB bull bar and dual wheel rear carrier |ARB compressor and front Airlocker | 50mm lift kit and shocks |Safari snorkel |long range tank | dual batteries with Redarc management | rear camera | full length roof rack and awning, Hema HN7, Inverter, solar panels.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had an issue with my GUIV TD42. fuel issue for near 1 year. I was booked in for a new pump at $3k and tye wwwk before it went in I filled the car tanks to the brim and them happened to park at the supermarket. When I returned to the car there was fuel in the ground on the inside of the rear driver's wheel. 12 months I'd even chasing this damn it and stumbled on it at the 11th hour.

My issue was a split in the copper fuel line going over the top of the rear spring tower. It happened when a stone wore a hole in it on a Desert crossing. Basically this allowed the feed fuel line which is under vacuum to the back of the pump to bleed back on itself to the tank and loose fuel pressure to the pump. Ran great, but park it and come back and if have to pop the bonnet and hand pump. Also if I sat idling for too long it would stall occasionally. Worth a look mate.

Consider installing a Lift Pump to feed the back of the pump. This alone may resolve your issue. Good luck.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PRIGBY (8th May 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update to the fuel and starting problem.
    Thanks MudRunnerTD, your suggestions helped us to nail down the fault. Initial diagnosis indicated a fuel pump fault and that the pump would need replacing (as you suggested). However, following your comments, I pushed to have the team look further. They eventually decided that the common rail relief pressure valve was faulty. It has now been replaced and the problem seems to have gone away (cross fingers...). MudRunnerTD, you saved me over $1000. Thank you.
    Does anyone experienced this problem? It has been suggested that this is not uncommon on the common rail ZD30 engines?
    Many thanks
    Paul

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PRIGBY For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th June 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep a spare uprated fprv in my tool box
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one here waiting to be fitted.

Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    I keep a spare uprated fprv in my tool box
    What is the uprated one pollenface?
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhuck View Post
    What is the uprated one pollenface?
    https://chiptuning.com.au/product/hi...ssure-limiter/
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pollenface For This Useful Post:

Dhuck (14th June 2021)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Further update:
    Had the pressure relief valve replaced and all seemed good. That is, until on a road trip to Busselton (about 200 km) - the Dynamic Vehicle Control (DVC) light on the dash illuminated (constant on) with power loss. Pulled over, checked everything I could think of, but vehicle would not start. Reprimed pump several times and eventually started. Limped to Busselton.
    Next morning, difficulty starting with engine dying within 50 metres of driving. Re-prime, eventual restart, travel another 50 metres... all repeated x 3. Made it to workshop and noticed fuel leaking from top of fuel filter. Replaced fuel filter. All apparently fixed... (at least no fuel leak).
    Drive home and DVC light comes back on. Scan error codes with ScanGauge - gives pending code P0089. Clear code, DVC light clears, drive 200 metres, DVC light re-illuminates, pending code P0089 returns. Now getting tiresome.
    Back to the mechanic tomorrow for a full rescan of system. Will update if this ever gets fixed.
    As always, any comments suggestions are most welcome.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PRIGBY For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th June 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When they fitted the new filter did they replace the O Ring? surely! The fact that it leaked there is interesting. How big was the leak? what can happen there is air bleeding In resulting in a loss of prime. Have you installed a Lift pump at all? A leak at the filter more often presents as air in rather than fuel out leaving you none the wiser because you cant see air going in. With a clear bowl on an After market i have witnessed this as a negative Drip of air into the bowl rather than positive drip out. Be interested to hear what the codes mean and Please keep us informed mate. This type of thread is the basis of this forum.