Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may not surprise you.

It surprised me though.

Over the past 2 to 3 months the amount I’ve driven our Patrol has been not much. I have had the use of a couple of fairly late model dual cab Hiluxes & the only times I’ve driven the Patrol has either been in city traffic or towing with both Patrol & TVAN pretty well loaded up. This morning however I took the Patrol out solo, only a half hour drive each way to go into Mareeba to get food supplies, mainly on bitumen, but beginning & ending on a short rough track. Bear in mind the Patrol is a Dx leaf sprung ute.

Well I’m not sure whether it’s just that Hiluxs have particularly heavy clutches & overly harsh suspension, but our old school leaf sprung clunker felt like a Rolls Royce in comparison. Over the bumpy track, & on the bitumen. I had expected something more modern would outdo it hands down in the comfort stakes, but far from it. It was an unexpected reminder of how good the old Patrol is. 🙂

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

10G (27th April 2020), mudski (22nd April 2020), PeeBee (21st April 2020), Plasnart (22nd April 2020), threedogs (28th April 2020), Touses (22nd April 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    It surprised me though.

Over the past 2 to 3 months the amount I’ve driven our Patrol has been not much. I have had the use of a couple of fairly late model dual cab Hiluxes & the only times I’ve driven the Patrol has either been in city traffic or towing with both Patrol & TVAN pretty well loaded up. This morning however I took the Patrol out solo, only a half hour drive each way to go into Mareeba to get food supplies, mainly on bitumen, but beginning & ending on a short rough track. Bear in mind the Patrol is a Dx leaf sprung ute.

Well I’m not sure whether it’s just that Hiluxs have particularly heavy clutches & overly harsh suspension, but our old school leaf sprung clunker felt like a Rolls Royce in comparison. Over the bumpy track, & on the bitumen. I had expected something more modern would outdo it hands down in the comfort stakes, but far from it. It was an unexpected reminder of how good the old Patrol is.
    The clutch on the 76series I used to own was much heavier and suspension rougher compared to the 30yo GQ that took its place. Both have HD clutches and 300+ springs...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB TD42; 21st April 2020 at 10:39 PM.
    Quad-Drive 4WD Club...Western Australia

We're all here coz we ain't all there...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB TD42 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (21st April 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah we have a 70 something series ute (6cyl turbo) and clutch is pretty heavy (no vacuum assist) and gearbox can be notchy especially when cold. Other than that great workhorse. Also drive DMax's and cab over Isuzu and after driving them (especially cab over lol) driving the GQ is sooo nice like driving a couch bear in mind it does have BP51's and Stratos seats, which is one of the best things I've done to the thing bloody love em.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MB TD42 (30th April 2020), mudski (22nd April 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget Cuppa that your ute is over 3 tons normally with your set up in the back.
    My son's 2005 GU leafy rides very good considering but he also have a heavy tray and canopy.
    At the end of the day, all you have is yourself and all you need is your friends (and in our case our Patrol)
    2006 GUI1 4.2TDi Coil Cab "almost" standard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wizard52 For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (25th April 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard52 View Post
    Don't forget Cuppa that your ute is over 3 tons normally with your set up in the back.
    My son's 2005 GU leafy rides very good considering but he also have a heavy tray and canopy.
    That's a fair point Wiz, both the Hilux utes have been relatively empty most of the time. the one up at Portland Roads also had 17" wheels fitted as standard , & required far higher pressures as the tyres had much less sidewall. Fine for smooth roads but you could hardly use that description for the road between Port & Lockhart River.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mareeba .... are you touring the tablelands?
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A heavier vehicle will always feel smoother, simply as it has more weight to make the suspension compress. Unloaded utes have always been bouncy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pollenface View Post
    Mareeba .... are you touring the tablelands?
    No, we had planned to be touring the Cape for as long as we could this dry season, but that may have to wait until next year now (hopefully). We are living here, 'bunkered down' & caretaking a farm to get us through the Pandemic - so here for as long as it takes. Preferable to returning home to Vic for a southern winter after being in the north for the past two years!

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My Troopy articulated very well, only reason
    I sold it was it had a clutch and I had a weak left leg.
    More than happy with my patrol, would love tofit
    some smoothy shocks .
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there