Thread: P/N Inhibitor - other threads don't have right info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

P/N Inhibitor - other threads don't have right info

Evening all

What is the location of the P/N start inhibitor relay switch?

I know the actual switch is on the side of the gearbox, but this is just the switch that tells the truck where the stick is located. And I know where the start relay is (under the cover next to the driver side battery), but again, this is just the start relay.

The inhibitor relay is the one that opens the start circuit when the gear shift switch says its not in park or neutral.

Reason for asking - manual conversion. Need to bridge it. I can cross the neutral and live wire in the auto's loom to trick it into thinking its in neutral. But I would much prefer just to remove the relay. Wagon is a 1992 GQ Safari.

cheers people
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P/N inhibitor is on the side of the trans. It closes the circuit in P or N so the start relay can work.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

tuckertrucker (24th November 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The manual pages EL 80 and EL 81 show the relay as 142 M under the cover next to the battery.

Page EL17 shows which wires to bridge out, but the Haynes manual is a bit different.

Edit that is for a petrol engine.
    Last edited by mudnut; 24th November 2017 at 03:14 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    P/N inhibitor is on the side of the trans. It closes the circuit in P or N so the start relay can work.
    Awesome thanks! I wasn't sure if it closed the circuit or just sent signal to another relay near the passenger kick panel.
    1992 Nissan Safari Granroad LWB TD42 after market turbo RE4R03A (for now) 3" straight pipe

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I now see where I was getting confused - I was assuming that the start relay that uses the signal from the inhibitor switch was live with a constant 24v. But according to the diagram (if I opened my eyes and read correctly) it says that the inhibitor circuit is switched in the ignition circuit.

So when the key is on, the P/N inhibitor switch will close or open the start relay, and the START position on the ignition switch energises the relay (which will only send power to the cranker if the P/N inhibitor closes the relay)

So if I earth the WHITE wire, the relay will close when the ignition switch is moved to START, and the cranker will do its thing.

The manual says that the brown relay wire is connected to ON or START. I don't know what variants the manual covers, but in mine, it must be connected to start. Considering if I bridge the two heavy wires, the engine will crank.

Cheers for the help, i've had the manual for a few months but must have kept mis reading this page on account of it saying "gasoline engine models"
    Last edited by tuckertrucker; 24th November 2017 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @tuckertrucker The Haynes manual page 16-12 shows the TD42. Yep, just earth the starter relay and bypass the switch altogether as per a manual transmission. I have amended post #3.
    Last edited by mudnut; 24th November 2017 at 03:16 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool thanks. I don't have the haines manual dammit. Is the wiring the same for the two? I can't imagine why it'd have different wiring considering both are mechanical engines.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @tuckertrucker this should suffice. The two (petrol and diesel) are wired differently. M/T = manual transmission (black wire) . A/T = auto transmission (White wire which you can earth). This diagram is for TD42 1991 and later models. The second is for Carby engines. And the third is TB42 EFI. The fourth is a TB42 Carby auto.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mudnut; 24th November 2017 at 05:18 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (24th November 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    @tuckertrucker this should suffice. The two (petrol and diesel) are wired differently. M/T = manual transmission (black wire) . A/T = auto transmission (White wire which you can earth). This diagram is for TD42 1991 and later models. The second is for Carby engines. And the third is TB42 EFI. The fourth is a TB42 Carby auto.
    so here's something interesting then - mine is auto, and its diesel. But it is certainly not wired like the haines manual says. The black and yellow wire going into the start relay is live with the ignition key ON. I know this because I crossed the two black/ yellow wire with the ignition on and the engine cranked. If it was wired as above, then the black/yellow wire will only be live when the ignition switch is in the start position.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuckertrucker View Post
    so here's something interesting then - mine is auto, and its diesel. But it is certainly not wired like the haines manual says. The black and yellow wire going into the start relay is live with the ignition key ON. I know this because I crossed the two black/ yellow wire with the ignition on and the engine cranked. If it was wired as above, then the black/yellow wire will only be live when the ignition switch is in the start position.
    Maybe the difference between a safari 24 volt and non safari 12 volt .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast