Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

GU engine options

Evening all.
    Looking at buying a grenade with the damage already done. What are the cheaper options and availability for a new motor ? Stick with another 3L , 2.8? It’ll be for number 1 daughter, so no V8s. What sort of $$$ am I looking at? Does a4.2 fit?
    TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brahambell View Post
    Thanks for sharing this article. I am glad to see this amazing post. Wobbleman
    Wtf ?....

Last edited by growler2058; 4th December 2020 at 09:33 AM.
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Silent member 1208

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katwoman View Post
    Wtf ?....

Generation xyz squared times 4 banaana shakes - who knows??

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

katwoman (2nd December 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kat, I had the 2.8TD in the GQ and swapped it out. It went ok as an empty vehicle, totally gutless offroad, even in low range and I tried every trick in the book to get it going, so i would not recommend that swap. I think the GU with the electronic pump control can be 'chip tweaked' but its a pretty small engine for a big vehicle. I think there are thousands of 3.0L to 4.2 conversions out there, totally possible. I think patrol a Part do a drive in drive out for something like 12-13K?? but a standard swap over engine with no mods would be the way to go I think as there appears to be inherent issues with heat and 'powered up' 4.2's - there are dozens of pages about it here alone.

I would be leaning towards a low mileage 3L motor from the engine series with the least documented variety, can't be specific as don't know enough about the 3.0, however they all can't have been lemons.

Hope this helps or triggers some other comments from those with more specific knowledge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Kat, I had the 2.8TD in the GQ and swapped it out. It went ok as an empty vehicle, totally gutless offroad, even in low range and I tried every trick in the book to get it going, so i would not recommend that swap. I think the GU with the electronic pump control can be 'chip tweaked' but its a pretty small engine for a big vehicle. I think there are thousands of 3.0L to 4.2 conversions out there, totally possible. I think patrol a Part do a drive in drive out for something like 12-13K?? but a standard swap over engine with no mods would be the way to go I think as there appears to be inherent issues with heat and 'powered up' 4.2's - there are dozens of pages about it here alone.

I would be leaning towards a low mileage 3L motor from the engine series with the least documented variety, can't be specific as don't know enough about the 3.0, however they all can't have been lemons.

Hope this helps or triggers some other comments from those with more specific knowledge.
    It’s a start. Even tho she won’t be doing any 4x4 now, if the cars right she may do down the track. I’m just trying to gauge whether it’s financially viable option for her. She’s only 18, and not overly confident behind the wheel except in Katrol.

KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Silent member 1208

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon we too will be looking for a lowest possible km early 3.0L GU for Miss HB in a few years too Kat.
    Loved our zippy old one pre 4.2TD upgraded wagon horse float slower chugging needs.
    Plenty of the 3.0L’s don’t go pop if looked after and towing weights kept to a minimum.
    Within 3 years they’ll be off their ‘P’ plate restrictions and it’ll give Steve and myself something to do transplanting LS1’s into them

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep plenty of cheap Grenades going around. You'd get a running one for $500 I reckon. Just do this until until she's able to drive something with more grunt. A TD swap is doable but I reckon you'd be looking at 10-15K to do this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s a start. Even tho she won’t be doing any 4x4 now, if the cars right she may do down the track. I’m just trying to gauge whether it’s financially viable option for her. She’s only 18, and not overly confident behind the wheel except in Katrol.

Apologies Kat Mate for ‘quoting’ like a toss pot here but hopefully makes sense at this time of night :-)

Tis truly excellent she feels comfortable and confident behind ‘Katrol’s’ big wheel and no doubt between Yourself & Steve you’ve both taught her how slow & steady driving wins all races!
    IMHO: Don’t worry too much about donk variants for her first ‘BoTrol’ even a cheap heavy 2.8L GU early faithful could do the job nicely.
    Plenty of big bunnies getting around your neck of the woods known too and I find our local neighbours lesser brand bar less twucks “fuel economy” spruiked savings are far outweighed by their panel beating shop time :-)

Shock & awe time, pictures tracked down tonight of my beloved old work GU faithful, 60 <> 60 kmph ‘P’ plate near ‘T’ bone lucky 18YO beautiful couple well foolishly survived thankfully

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (4th December 2020), katwoman (4th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Apologies Kat Mate for ‘quoting’ like a toss pot here but hopefully makes sense at this time of night :-)

Tis truly excellent she feels comfortable and confident behind ‘Katrol’s’ big wheel and no doubt between Yourself & Steve you’ve both taught her how slow & steady driving wins all races!
    IMHO: Don’t worry too much about donk variants for her first ‘BoTrol’ even a cheap heavy 2.8L GU early faithful could do the job nicely.
    Plenty of big bunnies getting around your neck of the woods known too and I find our local neighbours lesser brand bar less twucks “fuel economy” spruiked savings are far outweighed by their panel beating shop time :-)

Shock & awe time, pictures tracked down tonight of my beloved old work GU faithful, 60 <> 60 kmph ‘P’ plate near ‘T’ bone lucky 18YO beautiful couple well foolishly survived thankfully

Ahhhhhh phuk!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

MB (4th December 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wtf ?....

And GONESKI!! Gave him a good ol bitch slap for ya Kat!

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

katwoman (4th December 2020), MB (4th December 2020)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast