Thread: Sub tank issues

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sub tank issues

I have an issue, my subtank warning light comes on the dash board and I can no longer swithch the sub tank on.
    I had it fixed and it lasted about a week. Any thoughts
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had it fixed and it lasted about a week
    . So what was done to fix it for a week. If it was a loose wire or somthing it might have happned again. Faulty earth perhaps? Not much information to go on mate. Who are you, who fixed it before, how old is the vehicle, when did it first fail etc. would help people make suggestions. Welcome to the forum BTW.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a dodgy earth to me (most other faults like senders, pump etc are hard IE when they go they go)... either run an aux earth from the tank to chassis in blind hope or read the trouble code from the Sub Tank Poota and see what it thinks is wrong.

If you have already done the earth then reset the Poota (pull the fuses or disco the battery) and see if it faults out again.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys, I have been the proud owner of my Patrol for 2 weeks dealer fixed under warranty the first time but I have headed of around Oz and am not going to be anywhere near the dealer again. I am waiting for a call back from them to see what they did to fix it the first time. It is a 2012 year with only 77,000 km on it, I am quite mechanical bit what the hell is a Poota. I will try the battery trick and have a look at the earth.
    Thanks Guys I will let you know how I go and thanks again for the advice

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Poota - Official forum abbreviation for "Computer"

The Sub Tank System is controlled by a small "Poota" in the dash ('bout the size of a ciggy packet).
    The Poota monitors the fuel levels in the main and sub, wiring, pump and switch and if it detects a fault it illuminates the warning light.
    When that happens you have to reset the Poota by removing power even if the fault is fixed and you cannot transfer fuel until you do.
    The Sub Tank system runs every time you start the car for 15 seconds or so IF there is fuel in the sub and the main is less than 3/4 full as a "self test".
    This means that if you disconnect the battery but haven't actually fixed the fault the light will go out and everything will be OK until the next self test or the intermittent fault occurs again

GU's are notorious for crap earthing (esp for the fuel tank senders, lights and Brake Controllers if towing)... on every GU I owned I ran an extra earth (couple of bucks at Supercheap if you can't make your own) from Battery to Chassis and Chassis to Body.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ... once you get your head around the idiosyncrasies of Patrols your 2012 with only 77K on it should do several laps of Oz no worries.

May I recommend you purchase a Scangauge OBDII Reader or similar (150 bucks more or less depending).

Brilliant bit of kit and will tell you Turbo boost pressure, coolant temp, fuel useage, true speed plus heaps of others and most importantly read and reset engine fault codes and check engine light

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have reset the Poota (I feel like an idiot for asking what that meant) and it canceled the fault on the dash I will look at the earth tomorrow I have a full tank so I cant check if it is working I will definitely invest in a scanguage for a couple of hundred bucks it sound like a must have,
    Thanks again for all your great help what a great sight
    Last edited by Not so grey nomad; 20th December 2018 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you by any chance fill the main tank & whilst doing so try to squeeze in as much as you could, with the sub tank also full? I have found that doing this will cause the sub tank light to remain on every time. Solution is to use some fuel from the main tank, & then disconnect & reconnect the battery. In my case I have already fitted a couple of extra earth cables.

What I have learned to do to avoid the issue to to stop filling when the pump clicks off & to resist the urge to squeeze a bit more in.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    What I have learned to do to avoid the issue to to stop filling when the pump clicks off & to resist the urge to squeeze a bit more in.
    funny you should say this Cuppa,
    I always "squeeze" in as much as I can when about to travel........ if I can see the fuel in the filler neck, then she is full...... for both tanks
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigcol View Post
    funny you should say this Cuppa,
    I always "squeeze" in as much as I can when about to travel........ if I can see the fuel in the filler neck, then she is full...... for both tanks
    On occasions when heading into remote country I do that, knowing I'll need to do the battery disconnect at some point to switch off the sub tank light & restore sub tank switch operation. When I first discovered this 'glitch’ I was concerned that I may not be able to rely on the sub tank pump operating when I needed it, so carry a jiggle syphon hose tested in a sub tank to jerry can situation.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast