Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: Turbo Upgrades for the GUIV TD42Ti

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darren have enjoyed the read. Maybe U will be able to help out with a common mod.

Induction - Came across your thread searching for Fatz and Radius Fab air boxes and snorkels.

CRD as U know but looking for improved flow, currently run Fabwitz SS rnd Airbox (K&N)/ 3" pipe to turbo / JT cooler (TMIC Tube&Fin). Looking to improve low down torque and run generally.

Like the Radius snorkel (fwd facing), build and cost. What Ram hd did they supply or did you by an other(type)?

Airbox - Too much stuff under bonnet to shift bits to fit Radius Panel LS1. Maybe the Fatz airbox (depends on function and $$s). Fatz say their filter box fits with 2nd battery tray, only need to trim radiator cowl a bit.

Your air filter, is that Radius Fab (eg: 100mm pod filter)?
    What dia is filter can/canister, I am interested in radial clearance between OD of filter and canister ID and clearance between base of filter pod and bottom of canister.
    Is the 4" inlet at base centrally fitted or offset?

Radius must be very busy, have made initial contact and waiting for follow up.

John
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Darren have enjoyed the read. Maybe U will be able to help out with a common mod.

Induction - Came across your thread searching for Fatz and Radius Fab air boxes and snorkels.

CRD as U know but looking for improved flow, currently run Fabwitz SS rnd Airbox (K&N)/ 3" pipe to turbo / JT cooler (TMIC Tube&Fin). Looking to improve low down torque and run generally.

Like the Radius snorkel (fwd facing), build and cost. What Ram hd did they supply or did you by an other(type)?

Airbox - Too much stuff under bonnet to shift bits to fit Radius Panel LS1. Maybe the Fatz airbox (depends on function and $$s). Fatz say their filter box fits with 2nd battery tray, only need to trim radiator cowl a bit.

Your air filter, is that Radius Fab (eg: 100mm pod filter)?
    What dia is filter can/canister, I am interested in radial clearance between OD of filter and canister ID and clearance between base of filter pod and bottom of canister.
    Is the 4" inlet at base centrally fitted or offset?

Radius must be very busy, have made initial contact and waiting for follow up.

John
    Hi John. The filter is a 150 long pod filter. i have recently swapped the filter that came with it for a new K&N and found that the K&N was about 2mm to big to fit through the hole!!! I ended up using a hammer to panel beat the outer edge of the pod until i got my 2mm back and the pod went into the box! I was flabbergasted that this airbox did not fit a standard sized K&N Filter straight in. for the sake of a couple of mm it was ridiculous. I dont know what brand of washable filter is supplied but it was slightly smaller than the K&N.

There is surprisingly a reasonable amount of room around the filter. the filter is mounted to the lid which is on a slight angle making plenty of room in the box. The box is 4" in and 4" out and the induction noise from my car is off its TiTs!!. Really loud and Turns Heads.

The forward facing Ram Head came with the Snork and is basically the same as a safari head but in 4" Looks Sik and works Great. the induction Noise in the cab is very manageable by comparison to a rear facing. Love it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi John. The filter is a 150 long pod filter. i have recently swapped the filter that came with it for a new K&N and found that the K&N was about 2mm to big to fit through the hole!!! I ended up using a hammer to panel beat the outer edge of the pod until i got my 2mm back and the pod went into the box! I was flabbergasted that this airbox did not fit a standard sized K&N Filter straight in. for the sake of a couple of mm it was ridiculous. I dont know what brand of washable filter is supplied but it was slightly smaller than the K&N.

There is surprisingly a reasonable amount of room around the filter. the filter is mounted to the lid which is on a slight angle making plenty of room in the box. The box is 4" in and 4" out and the induction noise from my car is off its TiTs!!. Really loud and Turns Heads.

The forward facing Ram Head came with the Snork and is basically the same as a safari head but in 4" Looks Sik and works Great. the induction Noise in the cab is very manageable by comparison to a rear facing. Love it.
    Yeah I spent last weekend in the passenger seat of Darren's GU and is does sound awesome lol. But with the window up it is not that bad, you would forget it was there but from the outside is loud as hell!
    Mine is a rear facing 4 inch and with the passenger window down it is downright rude.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Bidja (7th November 2018), MudRunnerTD (7th November 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks Darren, guess having the filter @ angle will encourage the air to flow around pod (this is good). What minimum distance (clearance) do you recon between the filter pod base and the bottom of can?
    Have read of a 30mm min design clearance rule between the filter outside faces and its box/can inside profile (for effective flow/filtration).

Sounds like she is drawing real well. Interesting, with my procharge stage 3 h/f turbo (max B 26psi) 3" induction to turbo (IC stock size) got spool sound/real hoot, now with JT cooler 600x300x76mm core the induction is quiet as, does draw of course but no spool sound of note. Pulls well, just need to mod further.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks Darren, guess having the filter @ angle will encourage the air to flow around pod (this is good). What minimum distance (clearance) do you recon between the filter pod base and the bottom of can?
    Have read of a 30mm min design clearance rule between the filter outside faces and its box/can inside profile (for effective flow/filtration).

Sounds like she is drawing real well. Interesting, with my procharge stage 3 h/f turbo (max B 26psi) 3" induction to turbo (IC stock size) got spool sound/real hoot, now with JT cooler 600x300x76mm core the induction is quiet as, does draw of course but no spool sound of note. Pulls well, just need to mod further.
    They say a Diesel wont Dose.... I can get mine to Dose. heheheheheh!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They say a Diesel wont Dose.... I can get mine to Dose. heheheheheh!
    More boost and a snorkel will all help amplify the noise.

Along as it can put you back in the seat and hold it there mate. Then happy days, sound like a good result.

I worked hard and got rid of my resonance (noise) from the cooler under load/higher boost, must say I do like to hear the snorkel drawing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I run the Radius Snorkel, I bought the 4inch ram head local for around $60 too.... My air box is the FATZ box.
    Attachment 69698

As for the price difference in snorkels. My guess is that the FATZ snorkel has hidden welds. More time and care is need in this. My Radius snorkel you can see where the joins are. Doesn't bother me though.
    Mark, have been looking at the Fatz Fab pod air box, assume U are still running this mate.

Fatz tell me that only mod needed is to cut radiator cowl slightly and no need to move the aux battery tray for their air box to drop in. Is that what you found?

Could you measure the box length for me and how much clearance from bottom of pod filter to the air box base (inlet face)?

Are they good to maintain and seal well?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mark, have been looking at the Fatz Fab pod air box, assume U are still running this mate.

Fatz tell me that only mod needed is to cut radiator cowl slightly and no need to move the aux battery tray for their air box to drop in. Is that what you found?

Could you measure the box length for me and how much clearance from bottom of pod filter to the air box base (inlet face)?

Are they good to maintain and seal well?
    I was told that I would need minimal mods to fit the fatz box in my car but it turned into a full weekend mission and lots of mods were needed.
    Mine is a gq though. Great air box but I wouldn't buy again because for that price it should just drop in.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Bidja (13th November 2018), Rossco (13th November 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey John, i would also seriously consider Millweld for airbox and snorkel i know i always spruke his stuff but cannot fault it at all and such good service and very reasonably priced. He did a totally custom jobbie on mine for the snorkel and airbox with ducting right up to the turbo and couldn't be happier with it. Give him a buzz see what he reckons not sure what he's got on the shelf, might have to drop it off with him for a couple of days but sure he can work his magic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

Bidja (13th November 2018), Travel (20th July 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey John, i would also seriously consider Millweld for airbox and snorkel i know i always spruke his stuff but cannot fault it at all and such good service and very reasonably priced. He did a totally custom jobbie on mine for the snorkel and airbox with ducting right up to the turbo and couldn't be happier with it. Give him a buzz see what he reckons not sure what he's got on the shelf, might have to drop it off with him for a couple of days but sure he can work his magic.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I saw a brand new GU Millweld air box for sale on Facebook for $350 but does not come with the filter.
    Looking at Rossco's box if I had to buy again that's what I would go with.

Page 46 of 64 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast