Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend Cordless Impact Drill

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cordless impact driver won't undo wheel nuts, you'll need to crack them first and tension them properly by hand. That's no big deal.
    My personal Milwaukee stuff used the older brushed motors and I still have 4 ah batteries and I have always ussed the impact driver for wheel nuts and whatever. The reciprcating saw I have for the garden nd some track clearing has copped an absolute hiding and still going strong.
    My work Milwaukeegear is brushless and the impact driver is playing up at the moment . It just slows randomly and I am not too happy about it.
    All I use is Milwaukee for work and personal use, both kits get used and used hard.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd February 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO whatever brand choice make sure you get the ‘Friction Ring’ on the 1/2” drive and not the ‘Detent Pin’ as they can be an absolute prick to get sockets off them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    A cordless impact driver won't undo wheel nuts, you'll need to crack them first and tension them properly by hand. That's no big deal.
    My personal Milwaukee stuff used the older brushed motors and I still have 4 ah batteries and I have always used the impact driver for wheel nuts and whatever. The reciprcating saw I have for the garden nd some track clearing has copped an absolute hiding and still going strong.
    My work Milwaukeegear is brushless and the impact driver is playing up at the moment . It just slows randomly and I am not too happy about it.
    All I use is Milwaukee for work and personal use, both kits get used and used hard.
    Yeah I didn't mean that the impact driver was the tool of choice for undoing wheel nuts... mine certainly wouldn't, but I guess a cordless rattle gun (impact wrench) like Hodge showed is a different kettle of fish?
    Since the 18v lithium tools came out they must have revolutionised most people's work practices, they are just so good. My oldest batteries are now over 6 years old & still going strong & they've had a *lot* of use.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is our work beast, something like 1,000Nm of torque. It’ll easily snap 12mm 304HC stainless bolts that the boys have foolishly galled together. Word of warning, Trol wheelnuts only need something like 140Nm of torque I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've abused the hitachi gear at work for 3 or 4 years... nicer to use than the milwarkie stuff. and i mean abused.
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If all you want to do is crack a wheel nut and remove them and quick spin them back on then This little jigger will well and truly get it done! In-fact it will confidently crack a Wheel nut better than my 18v Makita Rattle gun.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Impact-E...-/142550413485

That will save you $400 too!!

If you think you want something to get a bit of other stuff done then i reckon the Rattle gun is too big and heavy. i only use mine to do the heavy lifting. I'd use my impact driver way way way way way more but useless on a wheel nut.

If you have No 18v Tools then anything is better, if you happy to spend some coin then i'd buy Milwalkie next time. I have Makita now and its been great. none is Brushless but i dont really have a need these days. and cant justify starting from scratch.

I recently bought 3 x 5AH batteries for my kit as i had 3 x 3AH and they were tired and the new batteries have made a huge difference.

Good luck, have fun. Consider buying a Combo kit for the value. June is the best time to buy as the big stores have Tax Specials for tradies.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yeah I didn't mean that the impact driver was the tool of choice for undoing wheel nuts... mine certainly wouldn't, but I guess a cordless rattle gun (impact wrench) like Hodge showed is a different kettle of fish?
    Since the 18v lithium tools came out they must have revolutionised most people's work practices, they are just so good. My oldest batteries are now over 6 years old & still going strong & they've had a *lot* of use.
    Yes, the rattle gun is is different, it will tighten well above spec. Which ( im my opinion of coarse) can be a negative for general duty, house, automotive ect as 1 too many ugga duggas can easily give you a 2 piece bolt/stud. Construction on the other hand or with Hodge and his HV work for example Rattle guns for the win
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 1/2 Dewalt impact driver with a 5amp battery has never let me down. All my battery tools are Dewalt.
    Last edited by bazzaboy; 3rd February 2018 at 10:30 AM.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 766 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey folks thanks for all the replies.

Yeah, I'm looking for something to undo & redo up wheel nuts and also to do up nuts and bolts when I'm feeling lazy, also for undoing rusted on stuff. I don't mind using hand tools, but when I'm stuffed, I'd kill to be able to just squeeze a trigger rather than yank on a spanner.

I don't have any 18v stuff and don't do anything heavier than work on the Patrol.

What sort of power would I need to undo a Patrol wheel nut? 100Nm, 300, 325????

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 766 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    If all you want to do is crack a wheel nut and remove them and quick spin them back on then This little jigger will well and truly get it done! In-fact it will confidently crack a Wheel nut better than my 18v Makita Rattle gun.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Impact-E...-/142550413485
    Hey that could be a bloody good way to start off. I'd ditch the sockets and get a couple of deep quality ones. I think this is what ET was talking about???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast