The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackCollo View Post
    I read somewhere that you can’t use the auto zd30 tcu because it uses the throttle position sensor to determine gear changes etc and going from fly by wire to cable you loose the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah this part im not sure. jff45 knows about this part, as he did it to his GU.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

JackCollo (26th September 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    You will need an adaptor yes. I believe you can use the ZD30 TCU. jff45 used a different TCU which made gear changing different, or something like that. Hopefully he sticks his head in and clears it up.
    If you already have a GU 4 speed auto you just need to redrill the bellhousing to match the TD42 starter motor. The choice of flexplate will depend on whether you have a N/A TD crank or TD42T/Ti with larger journal. The flexplate will also have to match your choice of torque converter.

I initially used my TB45E TCU but have now swapped to a ZD30 TCU which changes much earlier. You need to retain the ECU for either the TB or ZD TCUs to work.
    I also initially used a ZD30 TPS on the foot pedal but now use a TD42Ti (3 wire) TPS on the injection pump because I had issues with my cruise control not activating the TPS on the pedal.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

mudski (26th September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JackCollo View Post
    I read somewhere that you can’t use the auto zd30 tcu because it uses the throttle position sensor to determine gear changes etc and going from fly by wire to cable you loose the sensor.
    Every TCU for the 4 speed auto requires a TPS signal. I added a cable to a ZD30 foot pedal/TPS to replace my TB45E foot pedal. Secondhand ZD30 stuff was $50 and TD42 TPS for auto was $250 at the time.

Here's a pic of the bracket I fitted to the ZD30 pedal to pull the cable.
    IMG_3446.JPG
    John

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    Every TCU for the 4 speed auto requires a TPS signal. I added a cable to a ZD30 foot pedal/TPS to replace my TB45E foot pedal. Secondhand ZD30 stuff was $50 and TD42 TPS for auto was $250 at the time.

Here's a pic of the bracket I fitted to the ZD30 pedal to pull the cable.
    IMG_3446.JPG
    Thanks jff45 that looks awesome.
    So when I get my loom redone I need to mention that I’m keeping the tps sensor. Would I be better off getting a td42 auto pedal? Would it work
    Sorry for all the questions

Will the stock 4 speed auto from the zd30 be able to handle the td42

Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't expect a TD42 auto pedal to be any different from a manual pedal.
    If you modify your ZD pedal to take a throttle cable, I don't see any reason to get a loom redone. You can adapt your current wiring easily to fit to the TD requirements.. just depends how handy you are.

If using the ZD T4 torque converter, best to get it stalled a bit lower. I'm using a stock J6 TB45E TC. Your auto will need a good valve body or, at least, a Transgo shift kit.
    Personally, at 300k kms, I'd rebuild it and add the extra clutches.

There are now a few TD42 autos getting around and there's quite a bit of info about them out there..
    John

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't expect a TD42 auto pedal to be any different from a manual pedal.
    If you modify your ZD pedal to take a throttle cable, I don't see any reason to get a loom redone. You can adapt your current wiring easily to fit to the TD requirements.. just depends how handy you are.

If using the ZD T4 torque converter, best to get it stalled a bit lower. I'm using a stock J6 TB45E TC. Your auto will need a good valve body or, at least, a Transgo shift kit.
    Personally, at 300k kms, I'd rebuild it and add the extra clutches.

There are now a few TD42 autos getting around and there's quite a bit of info about them out there..
    So you reckon for me to use my transmission I’ve got to put a j6 tb45e torque converter, rebuild the transmission and put in some extra clutches and while I’m at it I should maybe do a heavy duty valve body upgrade?

Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not after re-reading your original post.. if you're talking BW turbo, 12mm pump, blah, blah then it's going to be up there power wise so you'd better discuss it with a good trans shop.

Seriously, with all you're dreaming about doing you're going to need deep pockets and a shed load of good advice. I'm not sure I'd be using a 300k kms 2000 ZD30 as a base to start from. Just my opinion and it's your money after all..
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not after re-reading your original post.. if you're talking BW turbo, 12mm pump, blah, blah then it's going to be up there power wise so you'd better discuss it with a good trans shop.

Seriously, with all you're dreaming about doing you're going to need deep pockets and a shed load of good advice. I'm not sure I'd be using a 300k kms 2000 ZD30 as a base to start from. Just my opinion and it's your money after all..
    Can you recommend any good shops?

Yeah I’ve had a few people tell me that it’s more because it’s a special car to me and my family served us very well then the owner ship came to me.

Well I’m all ears for good advice so bring on all your opinions and advice mate I’m all ears

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12