Thread: In cab brake controller .

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In cab brake controller .

In the market for a brake controller and know sweet b ---all about them .

Needs 1 to be able to be used on a unbraked tinny trailer

2 to be used on car trailer

3 to be used as a caravan plug

and I dont want to be using adapter plugs or changing wires for each use ,which if I use a seven pin flat plug that will cover it.

My research so far leads me to *2017 model, latest software, includes bonus 30 amp automatic reset circuit breaker and circuit breaker insulator*

The Tekonsha P3 is the height of performance.

Like the rest of the top end of the Tekonsha brake controller range, the P3 utilizes an accelerometer to accurately determine braking force being applied by the towing vehicle and matches it accordingly with the trailer brakes, unlike the simple and more common time delay variants which merely activate at a predetermined amount and a set delay from when the brake lights are activated. Unlike other brands of proportional force brake controllers, Tekonsha units do not have to be mounted and calibrated level.

The P3 sets itself apart from the rest of the range with its LCD display, allowing the driver to customize a multitude a settings and even saving profiles to allow for hot swapping between trailers or even preferences of multiple drivers.

Tekonsha have so much faith in their P3 they’ve given it a limited lifetime warranty.

P3 the industries most advanced electric trailer brake control. A true proportional braking system, P3 has several added features, making it the new standard for electric trailer brake controls.
    5 storable setting options for pulling different trailers or preferences of multiple drivers.
    A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options.
    Up-Front controls provide easy access to all P3 features.
    Easy to understand diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage.
    A flashing red warning system alerts user to No Trailer Brake situations.
    Select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode.
    Screen information display in English, French or Spanish.
    The Original Boost feature allows for different levels of customized braking.
    Compact, dash-hugging design.
    Integrated Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters.
    Snap-in mounting clip allows user to remove and store the control when not in use.
    Electric trailer brake control for up to 4 braking axles.
    Limited Lifetime Warranty
    Technical Specifications:
    Brand: Tekonsha
    Part Number: 90195
    Warranty: Limited Lifetime Warranty
    UPC: 783192015686
    Dimensions: 3" L x 4.5" W x 10.63" H
    Weight: 1.497 lbs.
    Package Type: Boxed

or

REDARC-EBRH-ACCV2-TOW-PRO-ELITE-TOWPRO-ELECTRIC-BRAKE-CONTROL

So who has what and why also can I cover all systems with a 7 pin flat plug I think I can .Any power supply will be by anderson plug to keep things simple . TIA
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a red arc tow pro elite and love it. Works a treat can leave it in auto mode where you can still dial it up or down or manual where you can tweak it more. Usually just leave it in auto and does the job great. The best thing i like about it is the unit can be mounted anywhere under the dash in any direction with just the control knob visible on the dash wherever it fits. One you start driving it calibrates and works out which way your traveling.

Yeah I've got everything running through a 7 pin round including a hot wire for the accessories but she's full now!

If your after brakes for the trailer try Huntsman products for bits they're really good, probably best to get whole new axle drum to drum.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a P3, it works well for me, is simple to use, and doesn't require a memory of the manual to adjust or use, very intuitive.

Haven't used a Redarc, but did consider one prior to purchase of the Tekonsha.
    Last edited by TimE; 15th June 2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks TimE and Rossco for your views and comments still haven't made a decision . Now I have a couple of handy diesel fitters (sons) that raid the beer fridge often would you let them loose to wire the unit up or quicker to pay a auto leccy , who did yours ?
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did mine myself, was a pisser. If i can can do it sure anyone can .

The only thing i noticed with the red arc was it took a little to calibrate it's self. First time you drive it brakes don't work need to do a few hard stops then it knows which way it's mounted, then after that good as gold.

Had a quick look at the P3 looks good, but the main thing I like about the red arc is its so minimal in the cab, but looks like P3 would be more customisable maybe. Come down to personal choice i reckon. .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (15th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, easy to install, I'm a 64 year old ex public servant, mate if I can do it in less than an hour, anyone should be able to do it!!

I mounted the cradle that holds the P3 unit on the dash directly above my left knee, have yet to knock it with my knee in the 18 months it has been installed. I ran the cable to the plug that clips into the unit up the underside of the steering column, when disconnected excess cable can be fed back under the dash.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (15th June 2017)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, easy to install, I'm a 64 year old ex public servant ; well thats 2 of us ex Aviation Firefighter .

Whats the camper mate T van ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by dads tractor View Post
    Whats the camper mate T van ?
    Wash your mouth out

It is a Vista RV Crossover XL Possibly the best go anywhere, and I mean anywhere your 4X4 will go camper (that doesn't use canvas) built in Aus. Just in the process of packing it up for our Kimberley trip, head off on Sunday for a couple of moths, can't wait for the warm
    Last edited by TimE; 15th June 2017 at 02:37 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Avo (15th June 2017), dads tractor (15th June 2017)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did with Carlton dry does that count .

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the Redarc Tow Pro Elite, I ended up going for it because it has lots of installation options, you can mount the actual unit anywhere, anyway up and the cable that comes with it to link the controller to the switch is just a normal network cable so you can swap it out to any length you need. The initial calibration takes a few minutes but that is only the first use after installation, after that it is brilliant.

Consider using a quality trailer connector set, the cheap ones struggle to accommodate the thicker wires needed for electric brakes (from memory I think it's 20amp???). Supercheap do a metal plug housing that includes LEDs to show when each circuit has power which simplifies wiring, I think it was about $20 or so.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JME_GU For This Useful Post:

dads tractor (15th June 2017), MudRunnerTD (15th June 2017)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast