Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dawes valve. Will I need one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Max B on climb try 16-17psi some do higherr like you have seen but when you haul, up a hill or have tow, you would more than likely get limp.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (26th July 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldcomfort View Post
    Took the car out on the hiway this morning. The north Stuart Hwy just to the north of town has the closest thing to hills out here. Set the cruise at 110kph in 5th gear and watched the EGT and boost. EGT did not go above 420 and boost peaked at 22psi. I could never get the boost that high with the original exhaust. What is the max boost before the car goes into limp mode? Next job is to block off the EGR. After the dawes is installed that is.....

Cheers all. Brian.
    Brian, read back through the posts and prior to fitting your new exhaust (Beaudesert 2.75") your max B was 15psi now you are getting 22psi(new exhaust) and your VNT solenoid is currently controlling boost. Now with 22 psi this is good for keeping your EGTs down, but as I said, you may get limp when hauling (solid climb) for say greater than 10 seconds.

Now some engines can handle higher max boost (20-22psi). Imagine your country is relatively flat so I would imagine all should be good and you may not experience limp. Take it easy until you at least get your scan tool as this will enable you to clear any fault code if limp occurs. At least with scan tool, you will be able to drive with peace of mind knowing that you can clear fault codes and be able to see how the solenoid/ecu can manage and control the higher boost. Install your Dawes/needle when it is delivered. There is a few ways to set your Dawes for max boost and later I can provide you with the method I had success with.

Also when you block your EGR, block the assembly at both ends (exhaust and inlet manifolds). With the exhaust heat shield off you may be able to fit the plate, mine was fitted when dump pipe was removed. See if you can get up in there and fit plate without pushing dump pipe out of the way. Fit solid plates, some times blocking the EGR can throw a fault code and turn engine light on, this causes no problems with light being illuminated but you can easily clear with scan tool. For Info: If you ever get a ECU remap you can turn the EGR off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Bidja. I have just ordered a diesel smart CRD egr kit. It comes with a little loom that hooks onto the boost sensor loom. I assume that takes care of the engine light. Where can I get the blocking plate for the manifold end of the EGR pipe? Ebay?

Edit. Yep. $6 on eBay.
    Last edited by Coldcomfort; 26th July 2018 at 07:07 PM.
    Be the person that your dog thinks you are!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks again Bidja. I have just ordered a diesel smart CRD egr kit. It comes with a little loom that hooks onto the boost sensor loom. I assume that takes care of the engine light. Where can I get the blocking plate for the manifold end of the EGR pipe? Ebay?

Edit. Yep. $6 on eBay.
    This is the plate that I fitted to exhaust manifold

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blan...-/131899444220

I have no knowledge of the Diesel smart EGR kit. So will not comment on it suitability. Does this include a plate and plug and play interface for MAP sensor only $130?

FYI. All depends what you want in the long run.

Look think of this: a plate (inlet manifold (your dawes kit may include one) costs $6-8
    Postal remap(ECPT) turns EGR off with ECU remap and you get reliable MaxB 20-22psi (AFR 22:1). Improved pwr and low dowm torque. I have a postal remap, sent them my ECU for remap (removed /refitted and set boost level myself). ECPT did the remap, cost $750+postage (approx $800).

Have a read for interest sake:
    https://ecpt.com.au/products-services/ecu-remapping/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    This is the plate that I fitted to exhaust manifold

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EGR-Blan...-/131899444220

I have no knowledge of the Diesel smart EGR kit. So will not comment on it suitability. Does this include a plate and plug and play interface for MAP sensor only $130?

FYI. All depends what you want in the long run.

Look think of this: a plate (inlet manifold (your dawes kit may include one) costs $6-8
    Postal remap(ECPT) turns EGR off with ECU remap and you get reliable MaxB 20-22psi (AFR 22:1). Improved pwr and low dowm torque. I have a postal remap, sent them my ECU for remap (removed /refitted and set boost level myself). ECPT did the remap, cost $750+postage (approx $800).

Have a read for interest sake:
    https://ecpt.com.au/products-services/ecu-remapping/
    Gidday again. That’s the same plate that I bought. As far as I could see the loom fixes the engine light issue when egt is blocked. Once I get this sorted I don’t plan on any more changes. This car is a keeper and I just want to improve reliability and usability.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah mate, the mods you are doing should provide a good result.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been doing some research into the EGR block. It looks pretty straight forward. But I am a little confused about gaskets. Do i need to put a gasket on both sides of the blocking plates? I plan on blocking both ends of the EGR pipe. The dawes valve will be installed before the EGR mod. Will that need to be readjusted after the EGR mod.

And lastly. We are moving to our house in country Victoria some time before christmas. When I change the rego from NT to Vic will the exhaust gas be tested ? Would it fail with the EGR done?

Cheers all, Brian.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been doing some research into the EGR block. It looks pretty straight forward. But I am a little confused about gaskets. Do i need to put a gasket on both sides of the blocking plates? No gasket needed at all. I plan on blocking both ends of the EGR pipe. The dawes valve will be installed before the EGR mod. Will that need to be readjusted after the EGR mod. More than likely...

And lastly. We are moving to our house in country Victoria some time before christmas. When I change the rego from NT to Vic will the exhaust gas be tested ? No. Just a usual roadworthy check. Would it fail with the EGR done? I doubt it.

Cheers all, Brian.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (1st August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Been doing some research into the EGR block. It looks pretty straight forward. But I am a little confused about gaskets. Do i need to put a gasket on both sides of the blocking plates? I plan on blocking both ends of the EGR pipe. The dawes valve will be installed before the EGR mod. Will that need to be readjusted after the EGR mod.

And lastly. We are moving to our house in country Victoria some time before christmas. When I change the rego from NT to Vic will the exhaust gas be tested ? Would it fail with the EGR done?

Cheers all, Brian.
    Mudski has done a lot more of these than me.

IMO, the metal plate can act as a gasket anyway(can use a gasket or not). If the plates have slotted holes for ease of assy, you don't need to remove the bolts completely anyway, just back bolts off and pull EGR flange away far enough to slide plate in and the leave gasket in place and on manifolld side of any plate. From visual/inspection point of view, fit plate at exhaust manifold and after settling in down in Vic then do inlet manifold side(your choice). Could leave EgR block if at all concerned (it is not too long to wait).

Dawes is easy to change at any time, if needed to do at all.

No idea what Vic rego inspection consist of these days.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Coldcomfort (1st August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dawes valve arrived today. I’m surprised how small they are. I thought they were a bit bigger. Hopefully install it tomorrow.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Coldcomfort For This Useful Post:

Bidja (16th August 2018)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast