Thread: Exhaust or intercooler???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exhaust or intercooler???

Hi to all the patrol experts!

I'm looking at putting in a new intercooler and an exhaust on my CRD ZD30 in due course. However due to budget constraints, they can't both happen at the same time... so herein lies the question - which will give the best bang for buck performance improvement (power, economy, lower EGT) to do first??

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Wilbur mate, as best I have learnt here is that diesels are much like an air compressor. They do need unrestricted cool air in and again unrestricted warm fumes out therafter. My only advise for true performance would be to save hard and do both to match/tune together :-) !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Wilburnator (8th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exhaust made much more difference to my car then a upgraded intercooler..
    2003 GU SIII Auto Grenade. All the goodies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Softy For This Useful Post:

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah I'm with Softy. Exhaust will give you instantly felt power and response difference. Intercooler would just give it more headroom for the EGT's.
    Also don't forget. On a CRD, Exhaust may or may not increase your boost somewhat, and it might trigger limp modes. They all react differently. In this case you might need a Dawes and Needle valve kit from @mudski.
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Yeah I'm with Softy. Exhaust will give you instantly felt power and response difference. Intercooler would just give it more headroom for the EGT's.
    Also don't forget. On a CRD, Exhaust may or may not increase your boost somewhat, and it might trigger limp modes. They all react differently. In this case you might need a Dawes and Needle valve kit from @mudski.
    Thanks mate, I had heard the boost can play up after a different exhaust was fitted. However I have already fitted the Dawes etc. so shouldn't be a hassle if it needs tweaking.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilburnator For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th April 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburnator View Post
    Thanks mate, I had heard the boost can play up after a different exhaust was fitted. However I have already fitted the Dawes etc. so shouldn't be a hassle if it needs tweaking.

Yeah you're sweet then mate. My 2.75" exhaust from Beaudesert on my 2009 CRD gave a massive improvement, especially when the dawes and needle were tuned to its sweet spot.
    My EGT's were OK. But the factory intercooler leaked. So, it was a no brainer... Just put a better tig welded unit in it and she was apples.
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah you're sweet then mate. My 2.75" exhaust from Beaudesert on my 2009 CRD gave a massive improvement, especially when the dawes and needle were tuned to its sweet spot.
    My EGT's were OK. But the factory intercooler leaked. So, it was a no brainer... Just put a better tig welded unit in it and she was apples.
    Awesome thanks! Yeah I reckon that's the pipes I'll go for. A few have said that the Beaudesert are a really good match for the CRD.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of EGT numbers are you getting? Cruising/towing/hills etc? Was there much of a difference after the exhaust fitted?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilburnator View Post
    Awesome thanks! Yeah I reckon that's the pipes I'll go for. A few have said that the Beaudesert are a really good match for the CRD.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of EGT numbers are you getting? Cruising/towing/hills etc? Was there much of a difference after the exhaust fitted?

Full factory form I was getting high EGT's. So thats no exhaust, no intercooler, no dawes/needle. This seems to be the norm on the CRD. It's been a few years since Ive owned my 3L. But from memory cruising was around 250-300C. But under load EGT's easily went to 500-600C. Even simple things like booting it to overtake sent the temperatures right up there.
    Those temperatures were definitely tamed by intercooler and dawes/needle vavles being set. I hardly ever went over 450 after wards.
    I also never towed so don't know how it wold have behaved with a loaded trailer.
    The biggest difference to my EGT's were made by the dawes/needle valvees, because the boost was no longer controlled by the ECU and it was no longer a yoyo up and down all over the place. Boost had a linear curve evenly distributed which helped EGT's immensely. Car loved it !

If and when you upgrade the factory intercooler, because mark my words it will leak at some stage... I recommend the DieselSmart exchange unit. Here is my factory and DieselSmart side by side... Good bit of gear. When I got mine it was around $450 exchange...

2005 TD42TI

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full factory form I was getting high EGT's. So thats no exhaust, no intercooler, no dawes/needle. This seems to be the norm on the CRD. It's been a few years since Ive owned my 3L. But from memory cruising was around 250-300C. But under load EGT's easily went to 500-600C. Even simple things like booting it to overtake sent the temperatures right up there.
    Those temperatures were definitely tamed by intercooler and dawes/needle vavles being set. I hardly ever went over 450 after wards.
    I also never towed so don't know how it wold have behaved with a loaded trailer.
    The biggest difference to my EGT's were made by the dawes/needle valvees, because the boost was no longer controlled by the ECU and it was no longer a yoyo up and down all over the place. Boost had a linear curve evenly distributed which helped EGT's immensely. Car loved it !

If and when you upgrade the factory intercooler, because mark my words it will leak at some stage... I recommend the DieselSmart exchange unit. Here is my factory and DieselSmart side by side... Good bit of gear. When I got mine it was around $450 exchange...

Thanks heaps mate, very good info!

Mine is a 2008 CRD unmodified other than what I have put on (catch can, Dawes etc.) But like yourself, fitting the Dawes was a massive improvement, still tweaking it, but huge change. Before that, Egts often hit 500ish even just with a bootful around the suburbs.

I still hover around 350 cruising, no doubt better intercooler and exhaust would improve that further. Biggest improvement was under heavy acceleration, it doesn't go up anywhere near as quick.

Recently did a run with our 18ft pop top (1600kgs) on a day that was 37 degrees & strong headwind - temp held about 550 all the way. Occasionally bounced off the alarm (600) on some small hills.

The return trip was better, hovered between 450-500 for most of the journey. Seems the CRDs inherently run higher EGT than most.

Look forward to seeing how the cooler and exhaust will go...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilburnator For This Useful Post:

Hodge (8th April 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A tigged IC will give about 30% more IC, dont forget an EGR plate to compliment your mods.
    Being an 08 I'd say your IC is leaking ,like Hodge says they all do at some stage. Being a
    CRD I wouldnt go the Cross Country cooler, not enough bang for your buck IMO.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

19. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast