Thread: What did you buy today

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    You'd be halving the load and splitting it between the bar and whatever the hook ends up being on.
    Usually the recovery point which is usually on the chassis.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Haha cheers mate, clearly didn't realise the double line pull would halve. I thought the force remained the same but the the pull was still what it was.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Hey mate was thinking seriously today about your suggestion, just wondering, if you are doing a double line pull does this not also increase the pulling capacity of the winch or the force the winch is able to pull through? Does that mean if you winch out with a double line pull you would also be exceeding your bullbar capacity? Keen to hear it from an engineering perspective

If you have a single line pull with say a 4000kg load, the load on the rope is 4000kg, single point. If you run a double line pull with a 4000kg pull, the load on each rope is 2000kg, hence you have spread your load across 2 load points, each of 2000kg, which is a good thing from a chassis protection perspective.. This is why the winch works easier with a double line pull than a single line pull, however the line speed of the rope is halved or there abouts(depends on the speed to load rating of the winch.) This ls why i mentioned the point of taking care with the hook up, as if you have a 8000kg load you are going to be better off with a double line pull as the individual reaction loads are lower (4000kg/rope) than a single pull direct on the winch drum. What you would logically expect is for a winch bar rated at 12000lb/5400kg, you should be able to do a single line pull of 12000lb/5400kg that reacts thru the mounts and the chassis or winch mount, with certainty, there will not be any damage as the load is spread across the mounts in the bar and the chassis. The amps will be lower, your battery will like you more and the winch will stay cooler. So, if this was on my vehicle, and I knew the bar was rated for a 12000lb winch, I would probably default to double line pulls to ensure the bar capacity does not get exceeded, unless its a load you can accurately assess as below the 12000lb limit.. In theory, you can pull 16500lb x 2 on a double line pull at the drum, which is in excess of the single point loading for the 12000lb design point, so for safety you should be able to pull 24000lb on a double line pull and not exceed the bullbar manufacturers rating. Only caveat on this is how the bullbar manufacturer calculates the loading point limit - which we dont know. Also this is based on a straight line pull, not a pull on an obtuse angle. Nic, you can see there is a danger with a single line pull on 16500 V 12000lb capacity, and even still a potential if you get too confident on a double line to exceed the individual line loading. As a direct example, the son in laws vehicle is max rated for a winch at 8000lb and upon inspection, i can agree its a piss poor construction, but frustrating as I have 3 x 12000lb electric winches in my garage however dont have the confidence to put one of these on for fear he pulls the chassis out of alignment of even pulls the BB off.

I am jus highlighting some risk. You are smart enough and experienced enough to think it all through and exercise caution, unlike the 'send it brigade'.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    If you have a single line pull with say a 4000kg load, the load on the rope is 4000kg, single point. If you run a double line pull with a 4000kg pull, the load on each rope is 2000kg, hence you have spread your load across 2 load points, each of 2000kg, which is a good thing from a chassis protection perspective.. This is why the winch works easier with a double line pull than a single line pull, however the line speed of the rope is halved or there abouts(depends on the speed to load rating of the winch.) This ls why i mentioned the point of taking care with the hook up, as if you have a 8000kg load you are going to be better off with a double line pull as the individual reaction loads are lower (4000kg/rope) than a single pull direct on the winch drum. What you would logically expect is for a winch bar rated at 12000lb/5400kg, you should be able to do a single line pull of 12000lb/5400kg that reacts thru the mounts and the chassis or winch mount, with certainty, there will not be any damage as the load is spread across the mounts in the bar and the chassis. The amps will be lower, your battery will like you more and the winch will stay cooler. So, if this was on my vehicle, and I knew the bar was rated for a 12000lb winch, I would probably default to double line pulls to ensure the bar capacity does not get exceeded, unless its a load you can accurately assess as below the 12000lb limit.. In theory, you can pull 16500lb x 2 on a double line pull at the drum, which is in excess of the single point loading for the 12000lb design point, so for safety you should be able to pull 24000lb on a double line pull and not exceed the bullbar manufacturers rating. Only caveat on this is how the bullbar manufacturer calculates the loading point limit - which we dont know. Also this is based on a straight line pull, not a pull on an obtuse angle. Nic, you can see there is a danger with a single line pull on 16500 V 12000lb capacity, and even still a potential if you get too confident on a double line to exceed the individual line loading. As a direct example, the son in laws vehicle is max rated for a winch at 8000lb and upon inspection, i can agree its a piss poor construction, but frustrating as I have 3 x 12000lb electric winches in my garage however dont have the confidence to put one of these on for fear he pulls the chassis out of alignment of even pulls the BB off.

I am jus highlighting some risk. You are smart enough and experienced enough to think it all through and exercise caution, unlike the 'send it brigade'.
    Yep I understand and just wanted to understand if I'd made a grave error or not. Seems I just need to be cautious how I use it which is fine. Thanks for clarifying mate I was worried I'd wasted my money and bought a good paperweight. I should be able to work to the limitations listed so all good!

Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, this is what I bought. I paid about $420 for it. I doubt it would truly be 17500lb load capacity

https://au.vicoffroad.com/products/1...remote-atv-4wd

Last edited by rusty_nail; 13th August 2021 at 07:01 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting conversation. I must say I was surprised when I went back a page to see what winch we are talking about. A 17K winch is Massive.

I have purchased a 13K winch for the 62. I grabbed a Runva from Sparesbox when Jaycee mentioned the sale.

I think one of the most important things to understand and probably thr most concerning is that the winch is not the weakest point here. We want the winch to stall out before something breaks. This by default is a safety factor. Stalls out, ok double line pull. Slow and steady. The 17K winch is a Beast. The 62 has a front axle weight issue too. Not sure what the 17k winch is. I supposed it really just must always be Eyes Wide Open. Think about the action. Think about the setup. Safety safety safety.

I definitely think that a bridle should be used in a double line pull and every effort to avoid grabbing 1 side of thd chassis. Again, the 17K will pull through much hard and not stall, I'd hate for you to Rake the chassis by accident. Share the load off both sides. A recovery point on both sides the centre to return off both rails via a bridle.

I assume I has a Rope and not a wire rope?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th August 2021), PeeBee (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For what it's worth, this is what I bought. I paid about $420 for it. I doubt it would truly be 17500lb load capacity

https://au.vicoffroad.com/products/1...remote-atv-4wd

Ok. So this changes things a little. To start with it is running a 9.5mm rope..... regardless of your 17K capacity yoyr 9.5mm rope will let you down way way before you get near terminal pull. The 13K Runva I have bought has an 11mm rope. My 24v Himount runs a 12mm rope.

Know also your 17K will be measured on the first wrap of rope around the drum. It will probably be fine mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Rossco (13th August 2021), rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Ok. So this changes things a little. To start with it is running a 9.5mm rope..... regardless of your 17K capacity yoyr 9.5mm rope will let you down way way before you get near terminal pull. The 13K Runva I have bought has an 11mm rope. My 24v Himount runs a 12mm rope.

Know also your 17K will be measured on the first wrap of rope around the drum. It will probably be fine mate.
    Phew! Thanks mate crisis averted!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Phew! Thanks mate crisis averted!

You will have no dramas mate. Have an actual look at the specs for that 17500lb winch over the real world runva 13xp.

The 17.5k lb winch has a 6.6hp motor with a 218.4:1 gearbox.

The runva has a 7.6hp motor with a 228:1 ratio gearbox.

So the runva 13hp will easily out pull the 17500lb item you have purchased so no stress for your chassis mate.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th August 2021), Winnie (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A little bit of bullshit advertising goes a long way

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (13th August 2021), rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snip "Sealed engine matter quite a lot when you are trapped by gruesome conditions.*"

Can't go wrong with these features . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (13th August 2021), Winnie (13th August 2021)

Page 514 of 564 FirstFirst ... 14414464504512513514515516524 ... LastLast