Thread: How much oil

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    When on the road full time buying a 20 litre drum is not practical, no room to carry it. So 10 litre plus 1litre. Cost of 10 litres of my favoured oil (Penrite semi Synthetic HPR 15w50) varies between $80 to $100 depending upon whether it's on 'special' at the time I need it. 1 litre bottles never go on 'special' & cost between $16 & $20. Once, just once a kindly salesman in a national auto store branch let me have the 1 litre at the same price per litre as the 10 litre drum I was also buying.
    Stop in at a reputable garage? (If such things exist) and they should siphon you off enough for cost and maybe a 6pack of VB?
    (Or XXXX or Fosters I suppose, depending)
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (29th September 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeeWizz View Post
    At this point I now have 10.5 Liters in the old girl and now the dipstick reads just over 3/4's full, I am going to leave it at that for now and see how things go but at least I feel more comfortable knowing the engine will not be starved of lubrication.
    Better more oil than less.
    There's approximately fuckall chance these engine will piston slap oil/ foam up unless you have seriously overdone it.
    I don't know quite the amount, but probably over 16 litres.
    They're long-stroke diesels. Over-full on the dipstick is well within "she'll be right mate"

*Take this advice for exactly what it cost you. I am not responsible for you sploding your engine.
    (Though if you do, please let us know how much oil, for future generation's sake)
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

GeeeWizz (29th September 2022), MB (29th September 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Half-yearly 5k service makes you oblivious to engine oil prices shooting up alongside weekly rape at the diesel pump.
    $110 for 20L of RX back in April (Repco special). Seems now it's $160+ ON SPECIAL.
    Oh well, gotta stop looking at the numbers. Car needs oils, car gets oils.

I miss the old $90 for 20L Delo 400 days !! Was the best oil for my TD as well...
    2005 TD42TI

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (29th September 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah i buy 20lt RC when on special and have a couple here. When I had 2 TDs it was worth bulking.

It is about 10lt give or take which is basically this whole thread!! Lol.

I decant out of the 20lt into a 5lt to then put in the car just to save handling a 20lt above the motor. I change both Oil and the fuel filter at every service.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (29th September 2022), MB (29th September 2022), mihit (30th September 2022)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yeah i buy 20lt RC when on special and have a couple here. When I had 2 TDs it was worth bulking.

It is about 10lt give or take which is basically this whole thread!! Lol.

I decant out of the 20lt into a 5lt to then put in the car just to save handling a 20lt above the motor. I change both Oil and the fuel filter at every service.
    That seems a bit excessive but i have heard that there's a bit more shit fuel in oz tanks, especially the outback stations that don't get serviced as often.
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (29th September 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is definitely True @mihit Mate…..but Darren also fuels up in somewhat suburbia and then historically tests his TD42 roof height elevated fuel breather lines underwater/sludge in Victoria’s Otways…NUTTER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (29th September 2022), MudRunnerTD (30th September 2022)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    That is definitely True @mihit Mate…..but Darren also fuels up in somewhat suburbia and then historically tests his TD42 roof height elevated fuel breather lines underwater/sludge in Victoria’s Otways…NUTTER

Maersk sized bilge pump setup and all haha

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MB (29th September 2022), mihit (30th September 2022), MudRunnerTD (30th September 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just been trying to find a picture @Hodge Mate
    B- Pillar bilge pump outlets from the floor pan of Daz’s are a crack up but will save the day
    It’s called “Casper-GQ” for a reason, ghosts only come out at night

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (30th September 2022)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mihit View Post
    Better more oil than less.
    There's approximately fuckall chance these engine will piston slap oil/ foam up unless you have seriously overdone it.
    I don't know quite the amount, but probably over 16 litres.
    They're long-stroke diesels. Over-full on the dipstick is well within "she'll be right mate"

*Take this advice for exactly what it cost you. I am not responsible for you sploding your engine.
    (Though if you do, please let us know how much oil, for future generation's sake)
    Once again your saving my sanity because when I started this conversation I thought I had some sludge or blockage issue when I did the oil change and freaked out with worry that something was terribly wrong because as I said I have done services on this vehicle many times, just lost a crucial bit of information like "how much oil does this thing take". So with panic setting in with the first oil change showing so low and a un-named auto store telling me I needed 9 Liters I did a complete second oil change (including 2 filters) and prior to this 2nd change I drained the sump and inserted a soft wire with some cotton rag to soak any sludge from deep inside the drain incase there was some sludge that far inside. Anyway this second change was left 24 hours to drain before doing the refill and with the outcome still showing a low level I remembered I was a member here and decided to throw a question out there. And I am pleased to hear others offer some input.
    Just one thing "MIHIT" I don't ever think I want to try that 16 Liters estimate you thought about. That would be a hell of a fireside conversation with the mates and a few coldies, "did I ever tell you bout the time I had an old 20 liter drum of oil and used 3/4s of it in a oil change back in the early 2020s". yes sir that would be some tale. But hey I can say I did do a 20 Liter 4 filters change between visits to the bitumen. FYI my truck is stock, no turbo, no lift, no big wheels and no winch.
    Thanks again for your help mate.
    Last edited by GeeeWizz; 29th September 2022 at 09:41 PM. Reason: miss spelt something

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much oil

Crikey, I’ve clearly missed something here yet again @geeeWizz Mate?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast