Thread: Harrop Eaton ELocker Versus GU Family Wagon Auto Hubs

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Got a link of camp mod of OEM auto hubs to manual mode?. Just in case.

@MB all depends on what you want to go without, but do agree, just lock in manual operation if for long haul serious stuff, Run auto heaps, never an issue_Auto, for me just a bit lazy to engage smoothly on first cold run, but move lever in/out @ idle a few time before driving and all good.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...uto-hubs/page2
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

Bidja (2nd October 2019), MB (2nd October 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Was truly hoping to knot upgrade to other bush hubs blokes :-)
    Trying to read between the lines here I think they might be tougher (locked in) than I/we first assumed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    From my readings over the years the Auto locking hubs are stronger than any aftermarket manual hub, If out bush doing tracks then lock them in, if out and about having a quick play leave them in auto just remember to reverse up a few meters after changing back into 2wd
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Hey Markie just food for thought mate don't really know too much about elockers at all but stumbled across this vid the other day and found it interesting. Don't mean to plant any seeds of doubt have heard good things about them and it is the family tourer so sure will be a great thing for that application.
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Thanks heaps Rossco, didn’t know the ELocker did that :-( Not sure we’d be too happy either with rollback disengagement!
    Looks like we’re running air lines again dammit :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Rossco (3rd October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never had to do roll back disengagement since good old FJ45 days.

In GU auto mode, slap mine from 2 - 4 wd on the move heaps and never had disengagement issues. First, always at idle, before driving off (auto mode) I just engage/disengage from 2H to 4H a few times and then I have now engagement issues or clicking noises. Without doing this I have engagement issues (won't engage and click away). Have also been running LS90 in front diff for past 5yrs. Next will use 80w90 mineral.
    Last edited by Bidja; 2nd October 2019 at 08:43 AM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harrop Eaton ELocker Versus GU Family Wagon Auto Hubs

Sorry John mate, was referring to the Eaton Locker from the video and how its mechanism is designed.
    After engaging it takes a 1/4 turn to lock forward so if urgently reversing up it becomes a full 1/2 rotation to relock backwards again apparently.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (2nd October 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Sorry John mate, was referring to the Eaton Locker from the video and how its mechanism is designed.
    After engaging it takes a 1/4 turn to lock forward so if urgently reversing up it becomes a full 1/2 rotation to relock backwards again apparently.

Cool, silent time here at moment so have not watched video yet. Will do though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (2nd October 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely worth a view mate!
    Unfortunately now for us just learnt, even though we were very much looking towards an easier installation system for the old family truckster it won’t suit our future needs either like the narrator shows.
    There is plenty a rocky shale little track around our neck of the woods too that just wouldn’t forgive a start/stop/reverse/start again situation.
    Our little 33” KM3’s I believe would equate to over a 1.3m half rotation distance rollback (or wheelspin) before engaging again and then the same again forwards back up a hill?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Did check it out, the guy certainly gives the pro locker a push and quite rightly so as the Elocker achieves positive lock (direction change) only after it overcomes the cam operation lag (bit ordinary). Hard core or not, it would feel loose "loss of direct control" for the 1.3m at least(.5x3.14x33 converted to SI units as U said).

Have to be careful with either running DC cable or hose routing (risk always exists from, being knocked and time fades away (Neil Young) once install completed.

Be interested though of difference in the Australian variant of Elocker operation to compare out of interest only. Have not the real life experience as demonstrated, but from what I have seen here recon the air control system for me.
    Last edited by Bidja; 2nd October 2019 at 11:16 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (3rd October 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my Elocker. It hasn't had a huge amount of use but on the occasions it's been needed it's done it's job. From the video I can see their might be an issue for some, but for the likes of myself it offers me the reassurance I need. When I need to use it it is invariably on uneven steep terrain where commitment is everything & where hesitation & rolling backward is to be avoided at all costs (particularly as I have the Tvan in tow). That said many of the experienced or 'hardcore' drivers here would probably manage the terrain I would use the locker for without need to switch it on. For me it's mainly about avoiding the risk of vehicle damage, by not relying so much on momentum, when alone in remote country. For those who use a locker to enable them to conquer ever harder terrain then maybe the rolling back issue is worthy of consideration.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (3rd October 2019), MB (3rd October 2019), Rossco (3rd October 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A bit of topic but related. I do not have either low range reduction gears or diff locker fitted. Would the reduction gear for low range application be the priority install of the two options (when stop spending on other bits)?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast