Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Yes i have had one of these for 20 years. the first time i saw one i thought it was a joke.... The first time i pulled the trigger i thought OMFG This thing will be a Beast. When all else fails that is a Beast and works every time. If your really keen to crack a wheel nut then it will easily do it.

To be honest cracking a wheel nut is nice but over rated to be honest. It requires a fairly decent Impact Wrench to get it done. If you never lube your studs then it is even harder. Lube your Studs....

For my money i would buy the Impact Driver over the Impact Wrench. I have both. I have had the Driver for nearly 20 years and it has done a Heap of work around the house and a HEAP of work on the car. You need a 1/4 drive and 1/2 drive adapter for it then you can use it with your socket set. Given it is a lighter impact i have never used impact sockets with it and always just my standard set. It does most of the heavy lifting for me. Then Crack or tighten finally by Hand. But all the wrench work is via the driver which is the leg work let us face it.

Great to have in your kit then for tek screws and other uses. Great kit. Light in the hand and plenty of bang for buck..

I have a larger Makita Impact Wrench and to be honest i find it Heavy and cumbersome and quite large and therefore bloody useless under the bonnet, under the car maybe but no good in the engine bay as it is too big. All of my car work up until about 12 months ago was done with an Impact Driver. Great Kit. Buy that.

12 months ago i got a smaller Makita Impact Wrench in the 1/2 and it is the same size as my driver but with a 1/2 drive and it is great. now my GoTo unit but same size as the driver. If i could only choose 1 then the Driver gets the gig as a much more versatile tool in your life time. The Driver is made to rattle just a little less torque. it will get it done for you. Lets face it most of the small stuff you will do around the car is less that a 12mm nut and the driver will thread that up and down all day long. Crack the nut the spin her off with the driver. Good to go.

Imagine if you could only buy 1 hammer in your life time. 1 hammer. You occasionally need a Big hammer but always need a small hammer. Do you buy a Sledge hammer and hit in 2" nails as well as star pickets.... Or a smaller hammer that does nearly everything you need and if you ever have to hit in a Star picket either borrow a sledge hammer or hit it harder by hand...
    Thanks for the info Daz, much appreciated.

I went forked out $69 for one of those Hercules 12v wrenches, I reckon it'll do what I want & if it doesn't well I'll worry about that then.

Sounds like from what you said that the driver may be the way to go, the type of work I'd do would be lighter stuff so the driver may be a more appropriate option.

Thanks everyone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th May 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

I went forked out $69 for one of those Hercules 12v wrenches, I reckon it'll do what I want & if it doesn't well I'll worry about that then.

Sounds like from what you said that the driver may be the way to go, the type of work I'd do would be lighter stuff so the driver may be a more appropriate option.

Thanks everyone.
    That will work well on those Star Pickets mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @10G i am going to merge this thread into the Tools Thread mate as i think it sits well in that discussion.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (28th May 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,337 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    @10G i am going to merge this thread into the Tools Thread mate as i think it sits well in that discussion.
    sure go crazy. Now about those star pickets ????????

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (28th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    sure go crazy. Now about those star pickets ????????
    My analogy, You only need a Big Hammer for Star Pickets occasionally. That cheap rattle gun will sort that out well. The first time you pull the trigger you will look at it and then it will go Bang and you will go ....OH!!! Some of the stuff i have done with mine is ridiculous to be honest. Like "No Way!!" Bang! "Holy Shit!!" Done..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone.
    If it does not work for you (my guess is it will be binned shortly )any one of these will. As for the “ oh no it only has 360 nm of torque my blah blah dearer one has twice that “ do not be concerned. Wheel nut torque is around 130 nm. Dont stress about impact sockets, any good quality six sided ones will do. Dont use the 12 sided ones and always wear eye protection or look away.
    C0A1ACE1-2ACF-4EF3-B1BD-7F9D8CEEDA1D.jpeg
    Last edited by Mickhead; 28th May 2020 at 06:36 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickhead For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (28th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickhead View Post
    dont stress about impact sockets, any good quality six sided ones will do. Dont use the 12 sided ones and always wear eye protection or look away.
    C0A1ACE1-2ACF-4EF3-B1BD-7F9D8CEEDA1D.jpeg
    Interested to get your thoughts on that mate? I'm guessing the more sides takes strength away from the socket but even six siders I have busted before? Care to elaborate?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

Thanks
    Thanked 3,764 Times in 2,030 Posts
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not tool related but close. Work boots..

I'm due for a new pair and unsure what to get.

I'm looking at the $150-200 range.
    Steel Blue, mongrel, cat is there much difference between them all?

I know that everyone says that they want a comfortable boot, but I really do mean it.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,032 Times in 3,194 Posts
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tax time so got a few new tools.
    IMG_2008.jpg
    Needed new toolboxes too.
    IMG_2009.jpg

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TPC For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (29th May 2020), rusty_nail (28th May 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Interested to get your thoughts on that mate? I'm guessing the more sides takes strength away from the socket but even six siders I have busted before? Care to elaborate?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    They round out easier and usually have skinnier walls.

I have a small set of impact sockets but rarely use them because they don't fit a lot of places. I've got a reasonably good set of kinchrome sockets that I use flat out with the little impact driver. I'm not saying it's right, but like above they only see light to medium impact from the driver anyway. They're 12 sided and a couple (10 & 12mm) are starting to get a little flogged out from using them like that but none have broken.

Its always worth having your safety squints engaged.. Seriously though, even using the correct sockets it's always worth taking care of your eyes from flying bits of hot steel.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Page 34 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484 ... LastLast