OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Part needed - can you help?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem with my winch, I just removed the plug and made it wireless, with a cheap ebay kit, works great.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to paulyg For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th May 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fixed with thanks to @Plasnart & the forum. Getting the control box out was a total bastard, the hole in the bull bar is pretty much the same as the top of the control box BUT the four sides of the control box taper out toward the bottom. Ingenuity, brute force & persistence paid off though. A few sparks alerted me to the need to disconnect the battery! Tested the winch after job was complete with crossed fingers. All good. Phew!
    19EF89B5-858A-45A3-8D56-DA85051DB4ED.jpeg

Supplementary Question The control box clearly isn't watertight. How come things don't go pear shaped when I drive through water?
    Last edited by Cuppa; 19th May 2021 at 05:09 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (19th May 2021), mudski (19th May 2021), Rossco (20th May 2021), rusty_nail (19th May 2021), threedogs (22nd May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any comments on the 'supplementary question'?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solenoids are a crimp fit assy, so will take a mild dunking, but if you submerge them for an extended period, say 30 mins (as has happened to me when I had a Warn High Mount, they seep water and thats the end of them. You can add a bit of protection with silastic, but thats about it

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, I have used a proper waterproof electrical Junction box mounted near the passenger side firewall. It means longer leads, but negates any sort of damage by a front end collision, too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Peebee & Mudnut. Have been through plenty of water crossings without a problem. When I found the box was unsealed yesterday, & I inadvertantly earthed something & got some momentary sparks I wondered why water would not complete a circuit, potentially operating the winch (it obviously doesn't or I would have discovered that by now) - or indeed if ever needing to winch out of water whether the water in the control box would prevent use of the winch.

If I ever remove the cover again I'll use silastic when re-fitting it.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks Peebee & Mudnut. Have been through plenty of water crossings without a problem. When I found the box was unsealed yesterday, & I inadvertantly earthed something & got some momentary sparks I wondered why water would not complete a circuit, potentially operating the winch (it obviously doesn't or I would have discovered that by now) - or indeed if ever needing to winch out of water whether the water in the control box would prevent use of the winch.

If I ever remove the cover again I'll use silastic when re-fitting it.
    Sorry Cuppa, I am referring to the solenoid cans only. You could pour 1kg of silastic into the big plastic box and still not seal it! If you are looking for a better system, go the solid state sealed units. There are a range of different chinese knock offs and some more expensive un its for higher duty points and maybe quality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (20th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UK- Albright Sealed Gents

https://www.the4wdshed.com/albright-solenoid-12v

https://www.roadrunneroffroad.com.au...lenoid-12v-sup

Competition Proven and FWIW out front they do handle the elements just fine, in fact, the closer they are wired to your winch motor the least amount of amperage drop the better.......mythbusted by our member mate on his and mine @matfew (Industrial Sparky)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (22nd May 2021), rusty_nail (22nd May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Part needed - can you help?

FWIW: The sole reason 4WD Action TV took 3 days to pass through Tasmania’s ‘Thousand Dollar Twack’ was inferior winches

3 x Patrols smashed it in 6 hours with bulletproof Albright’s out front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 22nd May 2021 at 01:27 AM.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Avo (22nd May 2021), PeeBee (22nd May 2021), rusty_nail (22nd May 2021), threedogs (22nd May 2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12