OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on refurbing my trailer...

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thoughts on refurbing my trailer...

I had this trailer custom made probably 20 years ago. 4ft wide and 7ft long with 18inch high sides. So I could put my trial bike in the trailer long ways and my swag and other gear easily next to the bike.

Its served me well over the years, but it needs some serious love. The wheels and tyres are original. I doubt they will last another year though. As now its main use it lately is for firewood. So my intentions are to undersling the axle to give a little more height, buy new rims and LT tyres, larger also the whats on there, this might be hard to work out though. I will have to put new hubs on and maybe a new axle depending on the bearing combination it has matches the new hubs. Then make a cage for it, only something maybe 600mm high though.

Which brings me to my questions.

Should I replace the spring packs with something to take more load? What would a cube of split firewood weigh? As it stands the trailer can comfortably fit a cube of split wood, fill to the brim would be not a lot more, maybe 1.2 cm2. So with the cage it might be somewhere in between 1.5 and 2 cubic metres.

The current springs are 45 x 6mm, 6 leaf slipper springs. From a quick eBay search they would be rated circa 500-600kg. The ATM of the trailer is 750kg, the Axle Group load carrying capacity is 1000KG, so I'm assuming this means the trailer is capable of carrying 1000kg, but the springs are not.

I am also thinking of running an extra length of RHS from the end of the draw bar and down the centre of the trailer to provide some extra strength. Not sure if this will be necessary though.

trailer.jpg
    Last edited by mudski; 13th February 2021 at 04:13 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking at prices of a good quality trailers these days. I would refurb. The market has so much Chinese junk now as well. I'm sure you could refurb it to your expectations rather than compromise for a ready built quality unit or pay good money for something custom.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would sell it and buy a tandem trailer with Brakes. Plenty for sale second hand. Even buying something that needs work will probably still save you a bit.

As it stands you are keeping....... which bit??

I love my Grand Dad's Axe. It is awesome!!! I have put 3 new handles on it and replaced the head twice! It is a beast! It will last forever!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    More Chassis, 6" Draw Bar. Electric brakes. Fresh tyres.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you do end up going the new axle / spring path check out Huntsman down Dandenong way. Do whatever track want could even go braked if you wanted, pretty reasonably $$ to. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (13th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just keep in mind you can't legally tow over 750kg without brakes on the trailer to.

I wouldn't be loading a single axle much over 1 ton.

Depending if you stacked the wood nicely or just thrown in and also type of wood makes a huge difference to weight. 2 cubes was be approx 2ton in most woods. Most people who sell by the cube are usually not a proper cubic metre of wood either. Think they are meant to legally sell it by weight now.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

mudski (13th February 2021), Rossco (13th February 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,283 Times in 6,435 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would sell it and buy a tandem trailer with Brakes. Plenty for sale second hand. Even buying something that needs work will probably still save you a bit.

As it stands you are keeping....... which bit??
    As it stands. The body of the trailer. Springs I may keep or upgrade to a slightly heavier setup and I may need to change the axle as I will have to change the hubs. I don't want to sell and buy a tandem trailer to be honest. The trailer size is perfect for me and it tows really well.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    More Chassis, 6" Draw Bar. Electric brakes. Fresh tyres.
    Yeah the draw bar could be a little longer I think. Not sold on Electric brakes, just yet, but for the little extra $$$ it will cost, I may go down that path, then if I do I would have to seriously think about beefing up the chassis. Definately new rims and tyres, size I haven't figured out yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    If you do end up going the new axle / spring path check out Huntsman down Dandenong way. Do whatever track want could even go braked if you wanted, pretty reasonably $$ to. .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Yeah I've bought a lot from them in the past, and they are close'ish to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by matfew View Post
    Just keep in mind you can't legally tow over 750kg without brakes on the trailer to.
    This I did not know. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by matfew View Post
    I wouldn't be loading a single axle much over 1 ton.

Depending if you stacked the wood nicely or just thrown in and also type of wood makes a huge difference to weight. 2 cubes was be approx 2ton in most woods. Most people who sell by the cube are usually not a proper cubic metre of wood either. Think they are meant to legally sell it by weight now.

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk
    Thank you everyone for your input. I have some thinking to do...

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (14th February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just went through a bit of an upgrade myself and used Huntsman mob as you can’t beat their pricing.
    Their warehouse packing guys tho need a good kick up the arse...lol
    Ordered 2x 6 leaf springs and got 7 leaf...all good easy fix. Also ordered 4 x U bolts and washers and nuts and got 12 of each and a mystery bag of different bolts and nuts...beauty

Anyway, this was the state of of my good bolts and brackets. Both springs lost centre bolt and kept moving around...oops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

MB (14th February 2021), mudski (14th February 2021), Rossco (14th February 2021), rusty_nail (14th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    As it stands. The body of the trailer. Springs I may keep or upgrade to a slightly heavier setup and I may need to change the axle as I will have to change the hubs. I don't want to sell and buy a tandem trailer to be honest. The trailer size is perfect for me and it tows really well.

Yeah the draw bar could be a little longer I think. Not sold on Electric brakes, just yet, but for the little extra $$$ it will cost, I may go down that path, then if I do I would have to seriously think about beefing up the chassis. Definately new rims and tyres, size I haven't figured out yet.

Yeah I've bought a lot from them in the past, and they are close'ish to work.

This I did not know. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your input. I have some thinking to do...
    Sorry mate, you are literally keeping the tub! Madness. Everything else is under size for your new intended use. Sell it to someone that needs a nice 7x4. Buy a tandem 7x4 or better an 8x5 with the springs, axles, brakes, rims, tyres, chassis, drawer bar you need now. That is the list of changes you are looking to make mate! Read about my Grand Dad's Axe again mate. Never look back.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm with mudrunner TD . the changes you are talking about may end up costing close to half that of a new trailer . the body of the trailer does not look all that strong . a single axle trailer with brakes the same size generally will have an atm of at least 1450kg . and for carrying wood , i think this would be a minimum , as 1 tonne ( + trailer weight ) could fit without gates . you can also get single axle trailers that size that will take heavier loads . i'm in qld and there are manufactures here that advertise on the net ( i would think there would be a few down your way too ) all size and types of configerations and atm's and many offer specials ( discounts ) at times . worth the time to search i recon . just sort yours out enough to sell and put the money towards a new or second hand one that suits your use .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast