OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CAV's what brand of filter is the best ?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I swapped out my nissan factory filter for the CAV296 when I had the 2.8TD engine. When the conversion to the Chev was done,Brunswick left the CAV in place. It wasn't until I added flowmeters to the diesel supply and return lines that I found out what the engine fuel system was doing. Long story short, the CAV296 is rated for 42LPHR, so it might be a good check to check what your engine demand is before swapping to the CAV - I liked the CAV as its glass bowl made it easy to spot water, however it was way under size for the Chev in N/A format and totally undersized for the S/C. I now run fleetgurd units rated at 300LPHR with a lift pump rated at 440lpHR. I expect demand to be around the 180 - 200LPHR thru the filter, with maybe 90% going back to tank
    Whats the Fleetguard filter number your using Phil?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadGU View Post
    Good experience and knowledgeable comments guys.
    I am planning a trip to remoter areas latter this year and need to put a secondary fuel filter/separator system on my 2014 CRD Ute, and the stand alone OEM filter doesn't fill me with confidence. I know how important it is to keep that fuel clean and enough volume for IP etc.
    Anyone have links, names etc. of systems i could look at? want to start pricing it up.
    I can install it myself, it's not not a drama if it's before or after OEM filter. Just want to look at some option and work out which is best value for money.
    where are you located mate?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    They claim it to be 5 micron, but at what beta rating? It might be 5 micron at beta 2, which is 50% efficiency. Which means the filter will let 50% of particles at 5 micron or larger through. Some filters will have multiple ratings, 5 micron at beta 2, 10 micron at beta 10 (1 out of every 10 particles will pass through the filter) etc etc.
    The beta ratings are as follows.

Beta Ratio. How Many Particles of a Given Size Will Pass
    Through the Filter?----- Actual Filter Efficiency
    2 ---1 out of every 2 particles 50%
    10 ---1 out of every 10 particles 90%
    20 ---1 out of every 20 particles 95%
    75 ----1 out of every 75 particles 98.7%
    100 ---1 out of every 100 particles 99%
    200 ---1 out of every 200 particles 99.5%
    1000 ---1 out of every 1000 particles 99.9%
    2000 ---1 out of every 2000 particles 99.95%

So you can have a filter will 2 micron filtration but it has a really poor beta rating, which is just as important than micron rating. If the Delphi is 5 at beta 75 or better, then I would consider it a good filter.
    Thanks Mark, good info. I found this article which confirms what you've said which some may be interested to read.
    https://www.donaldsontoolbox.com.au/...tings_0317.pdf

I looked everywhere to find the absolute rating for the Delphi HDF296 but failed until I came back to this thread & realised you had already posted it earlier. Doh. 12 microns @ 99% efficiency. I guess whatever it had been I'd still be happy with the result after cutting it open. Do you know what the absolute/beta rating is for the Ryco Z332?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

ChadGU (10th April 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whats the Fleetguard filter number your using Phil?
    Mark, no idea, on site still so cant check

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudski (10th April 2019)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post

I looked everywhere to find the absolute rating for the Delphi HDF296 but failed until I came back to this thread & realised you had already posted it earlier. Doh. 12 microns @ 99% efficiency. I guess whatever it had been I'd still be happy with the result after cutting it open. Do you know what the absolute/beta rating is for the Ryco Z332?
    Not sure Ian sorry. We dont sell Ryco so I have very little to do with them. Even after a quick look I couldn't even find what micron it is on their website.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Mark, no idea, on site still so cant check
    No probs, just curious. The popular spin on ones we sell would be a FS1251 or a FF5018, maybe an FF105.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

ChadGU (10th April 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No probs, just curious. The popular spin on ones we sell would be a FS1251 or a FF5018, maybe an FF105.
    @mudski these filters you mentioned are suitable for a CRD?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,405 Times in 2,996 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont sell Ryco so I have very little to do with them. Even after a quick look I couldn't even find what micron it is on their website.
    Yep that's what I found too.
    Have since had a look at the Donaldson site & found they list the full specs for their filters, that sort of transparency has to be a good thing. They may or may not be any better than Ryco but at least you know what you are getting. I think I'll switch to Donaldson after I've used my current spare filters instead of the Rycos. Seeing the pics in their X902759 filter kit for my car it reminded me that I had had one of their air filters once before & liked the 'robustness' of the additional metal cage around the filter paper, especially when having to knock accumulated sand out of the filter on the bullbar .

Quite a variety of delivered online prices for that kit from $89 to $147.60 which pretty much mirrors online Ryco prices.

Looks like the Donaldson Delphi HDF 296 equivalent (P557111) is also 12micron @ 98%.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 10th April 2019 at 11:45 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChadGU View Post
    @mudski these filters you mentioned are suitable for a CRD?
    I wouldn't use these on a CRD...

This would be a good choice...
    http://www.donaldson4wd.com.au/products/p902976/
    Last edited by mudski; 10th April 2019 at 01:19 PM.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Yep that's what I found too.
    Have since had a look at the Donaldson site & found they list the full specs for their filters, that sort of transparency has to be a good thing. They may or may not be any better than Ryco but at least you know what you are getting. I think I'll switch to Donaldson after I've used my current spare filters instead of the Rycos. Seeing the pics in their X902759 filter kit for my car it reminded me that I had had one of their air filters once before & liked the 'robustness' of the additional metal cage around the filter paper, especially when having to knock accumulated sand out of the filter on the bullbar .

Quite a variety of delivered online prices for that kit from $89 to $147.60 which pretty much mirrors online Ryco prices.

Looks like the Donaldson Delphi HDF 296 equivalent (P557111) is also 12micron @ 98%.
    The air filters in those Donaldson kits are good. They use their Blue range.
    https://www.donaldson.com/content/da...r-Cleaners.pdf

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (10th April 2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast