Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow G'day, G'day. I'm a Patrol addict with a dillema

G'day Forum Folk,

I spent a while filling out my extended back story only to be told my time had expired so I'll give you the short version until I work out how to paste in my bio again.

Googling various things has lead me here, usually on my trusty iPhone 4s but time has come to fire up the PC and join.

Sorry if this should be on a thread or I've gone about it in the wrong manner but I'm new to forums.

I've a wife and 3 school age kids, Pakenham Vic.
    42yrs, self employed steel detailer for some coin.

My First Patrol was an MQ shorty 3.3td, silver with horses (gotta love those horses). The Ivan Milat Special.
    Eventually got flogged whilst uninsured down in Frankston, cops didn't even come to the scene.
    Rattled like a scared pit viper but it was sweet in the scrub and miss the tight turning circle ever since.

Shortly after the Mrs bought me an new '01 3lt STS wagon leased though her work so added goodies at the dealer (dual batts, bullbar, winch, driving lights, tow bar, snorkel, other tid bits).
    Straight to Pedders for 2" lift, adjustable shocks then to auto elec for a few wires, set of muddies then out bush to give it some scratches, three point turns on some switch back tracks the only complaint.
    225k on first donk with only a dodge narrow 5th gear going previously (admittedly doing about 130 in the NT loaded up with camping gear).
    Mrs blew it up nearly to the top of long steep bit of sealed road, me not in the car (lost my ticket).
    Piston 4 failed bit time, others cracked.
    About 12 good years of 'na mate, she's no grenade' changed at that point.

Spend over $10k having it rebuilt 'cos shes my girl, first and likely only new car.
    4 years later and 275k on the clock ZD30 MkII fails me again.
    Not happy Jan!
    And bugger me, I just spent $4k on a decent injector pump fitted about a month ago.
    Trol's now awaiting pick up in QLD and expected back to me in Vic in about a week (sorry no pics atm).
    Major oil leak whilst long days drive I feel has over heated the pistons and presume same failure as ZD30MkI, smoke out the pipe, running rough on 3.
    Poured in 5lt of oil back at RACQ shop after the tow, not even to the bottom of the dip stick.
    Oil light didn't come on until the failure though so it had pressure 'til the end but presume not enough volume to adequately cool the pots down to negate the grenade effect.

Now I'm scratching my head, looked new SUV's starting at $40k sante fa and the like (sad at this point), estimates on all sorts of drop in donks (TD42/LS1, even a toyota HDJ-FTE) mostly equate to about $40k fitted, used stock GU Series 3 or 4 TD42Ti's with relatively low k's about $40k ($30k to $50k).
    I can't really afford a new Trol or Cruiser and not sure I want one to hang on to long term, too high tech to keep I feel and independent front end just isn't for me.
    Won't know what's left of the ZD30 MkII 'til i get her home but likely to be $5-10k at a stab but I've lost the faith in it, like the Mrs has cheated on me...twice!

Anyhow, thought whilst I'm perusing the contributions from others I may as well join in and give my 2 bobs worth.

Long may we pollute!

I couldn't work out how to add the desired soundtrack to the thread so print it to paper and read it whilst the listing to the link below for the intended experience if you like.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMuu4h6RdyQ

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome mate sure got a bad one there any chance it was caused by your driving and add ons ? There is a kit called Nads you can put on them to help stop the dreaded grenade , ours is still chugging along thank god .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day @Poortrol welcome to the forum. That is a tale of woe indeed.
    My experience. Go find yourself an el cheapo Gq, black top 4.2. Pull that big sucker out and hand it to a good diesel mechanic. Not a backyard shop and not a national chain. There is bound to be such a service close to you. Specify what you want from the engine and insist on quality parts. Source your turbo, mine is a garret 2863, a three core radiator, bigger airbox and intercooler, mine is a frozen boost w2a with rear mount, under tray, cooling unit and two 250mm fans
    All up about 20k. Then the fitting and wiring loom. You should get out under 25k.
    The forum experts will set me straight here if I'm wrong but I don't believe engineering is required in Vic because that model was available with the 4.2.
    My set up doesn't get over 80c temp, Egt's towing are rarely above 300c and it pulls like a schoolboy. All up a most enjoyable engine.

Depends on budget and time bloke. If you can afford both, hook in!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

Poortrol (1st February 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Readies 4x4 bendigo might be worth the drive from Pakenham, as they do plenty of grenade to TD42 conversions. Sometimes they have low mileage ZD donks in stock too. https://www.readies4x4.com.au/

When @Sir Roofy had the misfortune of the pin being pulled, he got a reconditioned engine from GO2ENGINES in Clayton.

040 003 3377
    Last edited by mudnut; 1st February 2018 at 01:05 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum. Time for your luck to change I recon.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like very nice rig Touses. About what I'm looking for but in the wagon 'coz of the kids.

$25k within desirable budget.
    Is that likely for recoing the motor as well or just transplanting it with new turbo, etc?

Any idea of what the differences are from various 4.2's throughout the years?
    Black vs grey, turbo and ti years?
    What year did they start pumping the EGR back through them?

My engine rebuilder quoted me about $30k for a fully reco'd TD42Ti which apparently has electric timing advance, spec'd up to 160kw.
    Trying to talk me into an LS1, I'm not really interested but he runs about in a monster GQ wagon with big lift, 37's and goes 0-100 in under 6 sec's all engineered and legal so he thinks a tad differently.
    He's got a heap of cash tied up in the machine shop so isn't interested in transplanting a used motor understandably.

Was also considering a new used truck, a gu III td42ti stl, one owner, 265k's, untouched from day one, just alloy bullbar and towbar, still running road tyres on alloy ~$35k on the road.
    Can only presume it's had the egr left open from day one. What's that likely to do to an 4.2 engine over 265k? I know what it did to ZD30!
    Bull bar, suspension etc can swap over from the old girl and would a full wreck for other spares in the shed. Maybe even get a couple bucks for whats left of the ZD30.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a full reco on the donk bloke inc turbo, IC, radiator, exhaust, and Patroldocta airbox. Might cost you a tad more where you are and patience dependant. I waited twelve months for mine.
    Every thing up this way revolves around the sugar crush, patience was mandatory.
    I've yet to dyno the beastie but given I'm running just 14lb thru the turbo only expecting about 100kw. It does pull from awful low down tho'. Very tractable!

Edit, I mention blacktop cos my research indicated heavier gudgeon pins. Properly built silver top will still prove fine. Mind the boost!
    Last edited by Touses; 1st February 2018 at 02:25 PM.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4bye4 View Post
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum. Time for your luck to change I recon.
    Thanks 4bye4, fingers crossed!