OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Newbie to manual / air operated hubs.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newbie to manual / air operated hubs.

So my previous 4x4 was a gen 3 montero and I never really had any issues figuring that out, but the hubs and 4x4 system on my GQ have me puzzled.

Firstly, I’m in Iceland, so I’m dealing with wind, snow and ice a lot in winter.
    The Y60 I purchased has the standard rear hubs operable via a switch. It also has air operated front hubs.
    Previous owner told me to only engage the hubs if I’m stuck in something serious as otherwise windup can be an issue.

When the car was delivered to me it was in 4H. Snowy roads but salted and fairly grippy. Am I correct in thinking that it being in 4H meant nothing if the compressor wasn’t running and the front hubs not activated/locked? Essentially just 2H with the front diff and drive shaft rotating but the wheels seeing nothing?

So… 4H/2H doesn’t really affect anything if the hubs at the rear and front aren’t locked. It’s basically a normal 2 wheeler. But if the hubs are activated then I’m in proper 4x4?

Is there a way of running that will allow me to quickly swap between 4H and 2H on the fly, as I hit patches of road that are covered in ice etc on an otherwise salted and tarmaced road without damaging anything?

Would this mean running in 2H with the compressor on and the front hubs engaged, and then swapping to 4H on the fly? Leaving the rear hubs unlocked so I’m otherwise operating as a normal vehicle?

Sorry if these are stupid questions. I’d rather ask than destroy something.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,686 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have got me confused, a lot! I have never heard of air activated hubs on a GQ Y60 Patrol. Are you referring to diff lockers/air lockers? Can you send some pictures please?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Blacksails (18th February 2024)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think he means he has a switch activated rear locker diff and a front air activated diff lock . for the OP - the hubs are on the ends of the axles . the rear hubs are permanently fixed . the front hubs can be locked and unlocked , some are manually operated and some are automatic . the short lever beside the gear leaver changes the transfere gearbox between 2wd , 4wd-high and 4wd-low . if you change from 2wd to 4wd and you still need more traction you can engage 1 or both of the lock diffs but i would only use these when going slow . you should be able to change from 2wd to 4wd-high whilst moving.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nipagu7 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (18th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had a quick look for air operated hubs online and came up with nothing, so we can assume that it is the front and rear diff locks. The one thing to check, would be the front hubs. They will be one of three types: auto locking with the ability to be full locked, manual locking or configured with non-free running hubs (permanently locked). As nipagu7 has written, 2H to4H can be done while moving, but to shift from from 4H to 4L the vehicle must be stopped.

The owners manual states: Do not drive on dry hard roads in 4 WHEEL DRIVE.
    Driving in 4H or 4L may cause unnecessary noise and tyre wear. We recommend diving in 2H position under those condition.

Yes the previous owner was correct. Locking the diffs on areas with good traction can damage the driveline.
    Last edited by mudnut; 18th February 2024 at 11:31 PM.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

Blacksails (18th February 2024), PeeBee (18th February 2024)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, this is starting to make sense now. Apologies for the confusion. I’m not native Icelandic and so I think a couple of things may have gotten a bit mixed up when I was asking the questions and the previous owner was answering. Or I just outright didn’t take it all in properly.

Yes, we are talking about an air locking front diff. I really should have figured this out myself but being new to these hubs, I’ve been laser focused on them and not really taking anything else in.
    Front and rear diffs lockable. Front via air.
    Front hubs can be flicked between 4x2 and 4x4.

But I am understanding correctly, right. If im in 4x4 but the front hubs are still in free (4x2) then the front wheels aren’t seeing any drive and im essentially still in 2 wheel drive. Front hubs have to be engaged in order to use 4x4?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,686 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the clear up and your assumptions are correct. You can leave the front hubs disengaged but still engage low range for the speed reduction - I find this perfect for my hopeless ability to back a trailer.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Blacksails (18th February 2024), mudnut (18th February 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,354 Times in 3,172 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also have used 4L without locking in the hubs, but only for such things as starting or backing on a very steep driveway, while towing. I did read that Nissan do not recommended to use 4wd with the hubs unlocked.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just to be clear.

Which actual hubs are fitted to your GQ?
    This one?
    images.jpg

Or this one?
    images1.jpg

If pic 1, the selector must be in the locked position to engage the the hub to the axle shafts so 4H or 4L can be used. If not, and you select 4H or 4L, you will not have drive to the front wheels, even with the air locker switched on.

If pic 2, Whether you are in the locked or in auto you can select 4H or 4L and the front hubs will engage the axle shafts. If you have these hubs it would be best to keep them in the auto position. for normal driving, if your doing some harder tracks I would switch to locked, just so you know they won't disengage by themselves.

As for switching between 2H and 4H on the fly, yes you can, but only up to 40KPH I think. You can't switch between 4H and 4L on the fly....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

mudnut (19th February 2024)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Just to be clear.

Which actual hubs are fitted to your GQ?
    This one?
    images.jpg

Or this one?
    images1.jpg

If pic 1, the selector must be in the locked position to engage the the hub to the axle shafts so 4H or 4L can be used. If not, and you select 4H or 4L, you will not have drive to the front wheels, even with the air locker switched on.

If pic 2, Whether you are in the locked or in auto you can select 4H or 4L and the front hubs will engage the axle shafts. If you have these hubs it would be best to keep them in the auto position. for normal driving, if your doing some harder tracks I would switch to locked, just so you know they won't disengage by themselves.

As for switching between 2H and 4H on the fly, yes you can, but only up to 40KPH I think. You can't switch between 4H and 4L on the fly....
    The first type. Labelled and switchable between “4x4” or “4x2”

Thanks guys. I feel as though it’s clicked and I understand fully now

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Blacksails For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th February 2024)