Thread: 2006 Manual Diesel 3.0L boat towing

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2006 Manual Diesel 3.0L boat towing

Hi everyone, chasing some advice regarding opinions on whether a 3L/4cylinder patrol would be capable of towing a 20ft boat approx. 3T. I am relatively new to 4WD's having not owned one (family members have owned so I have driven pathfinder and prado's) and am looking for something capable of the tow whilst remaining relatively cheap and hopefully durable and reliable. I have found a second hand 2006 model @ $10k with 260km on the clock, otherwise in seemingly good condition. Any ideas on things to check before purchasing and whether or not this would be suitable are most welcome, thanks a lot.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellerym96 View Post
    Hi everyone, chasing some advice regarding opinions on whether a 3L/4cylinder patrol would be capable of towing a 20ft boat approx. 3T. I am relatively new to 4WD's having not owned one (family members have owned so I have driven pathfinder and prado's) and am looking for something capable of the tow whilst remaining relatively cheap and hopefully durable and reliable. I have found a second hand 2006 model @ $10k with 260km on the clock, otherwise in seemingly good condition. Any ideas on things to check before purchasing and whether or not this would be suitable are most welcome, thanks a lot.
    Hi Ellery, Welcome to the Forum, feel free to head over the the introduction section and post an Intro thread.

If it is a CRD Commonrail Deisel ZD30 then i would be happy to buy. My bet it is a DI Direct Injection ZD30 at that price and id probably be cautious about making that buy. To be honest the 3.0 Diesels from all brands where pretty average. Nissan DI 3L where particularly bad. The Toyota Prado and Hilux in the 3.0L where as bad though. Common Rail changed the World though and it will handle that easily. I think you will pay more than $10K for the car you need to tow 3T though.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What else are you expecting the car to do? when not towing the boat? How many kms a year are you expecting to use the car for?

You could consider a TB48 GU. around your price. the 4.8L straight 6 Petrol is a beast and will tow your boat with ease. It will drink fuel thought with that load.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mudrunner, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this, just checked and it is a direct injection - why is it that this is less suitable than the CRD? Are there any recommendations of a certain make of patrol or other 4WD you think would be more suitable? I don't mind an old model/high kms as I probably can't afford to go over $15k and will definitely make some inspections/pay for a mechanic to inspect before purchasing as well as conferring with other people with more experience. I will be using the car as my primary vehicle - approx 15000-20000km/year, and would be making trips up and down the WA Coast with boat in tow at some points through the year as well as camping w/out boat. What are the main diffs between the petrol and Diesel engines? Thanks for the help

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can be a little tricky getting the 3 Litre Di off the line without slipping the clutch - especially in hot weather on an incline, other than that they tow pretty well.

The Auto makes it a little easier for towing, but you are getting close to the tow limits.
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,285 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CRD or Di will be real slow going dragging 3T behind it. But it will do it. The CRD is more reliable than the Di, though the Di your looking at is 2006, its better than the older Di motors. As happy mentioned too about your tow limits. Make sure on whatever you buy can legally tow this weight. IF fuel consumption isn't going to weigh in on your decision, the TB48 4.8ltr would be my choice.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter how you coat it, a 3lt Patrol, DI or CRD is not the best choice of tow vehicles, especially at around 3t, as they just don't have the power for comfortable towing. As suggested, a 4.8lt petrol Patrol would make a much better tow vehicle if you want to sick with the less expensive Patrols.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your boat is 3 tonnes, you only have 200kg to hit the legal limit for a manual, and 3 tonnes will exceed the legal limit for an auto. Bigger is better!!!
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygu View Post
    It can be a little tricky getting the 3 Litre Di off the line without slipping the clutch - especially in hot weather on an incline, other than that they tow pretty well. The Auto makes it a little easier for towing, but you are getting close to the tow limits.
    Totally agree with HappyGu, off tow or moderate towing on the flat our old 2002 Manual GU ZD30 was a rocket ship. Unfortunately did have to sell it as we live in a quite hilly area towing horses that need smooth take offs, slow corners and incline restarts. We were going to kill the poor thing especially its clutch so had to sell and increase in diesel motor size which doubled the price back then. Sounds like above from the blokes a big petrol donk would definitely suit your relatively low km needs.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with most posts above ^^^^

The ZD30 is a mongrel to get off the line with 3 tonnes tied to it.
    You are definitely better off towing with a 4.8 for that weight
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast