Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Air mattress options

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hand pumps are great and I did use it on one mat 'to see how it worked'
    It was also the mat that I had to let some air out of.
    If you have a few days to let them self inflate it should be fine, but I had to play with the new toy.
    If you arrive late at a site the pump would be very useful.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (10th May 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,006 Times in 3,400 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi guys. I need a new mattress in my rooftop camper and there are a few that take my eye. But firstly, my rooftop camper is a "clam shell" type design, so it hinges at the front (toe end) of the camper and angles up to approx 1m high at the entrance at the back of the vehicle. Here's a pic shown on previous owner's vehicle:

Because of the angled roof I need a mattress that is less than 100mm thick. With an 80mm-thick Clark Rubber foam mattress I used to have, my feet would be touching the roof down at the toe end, so I can't really go for a 100mm-thick mattress as this would exacerbate that problem.

Thanks to @Cuppa earlier in this thread, I've also learned what bonded/laminated means and this is definitely what I want. I recently bought an inflatable mattress from BCF and when I laid on it all the air went down to the foot end and bubbled up a couple of inches! Needless to say that went back for a refund and yep, I'm now convinced I need to spend the extra coin for the extra bonded/laminated quality.

Therefore, I'm looking for something bonded/laminated and around the 70-80mm thickness range.

My shortlist consists of these mattresses:

Exped Synmat 7LW (R-value of 4.5) $209.95 at Snowy's.

Exped Downmat 7LW (R-value of 5.9) $319.95 at Snowy's.

Black Wolf Deluxe Camp Mat (R-value of 5.6) $164.90 at Snowy's.

Black Wolf Super Deluxe Camp Mat (R-value of 6.4) $219.90 at Snowy's (same pic online this one just a bit thicker).

From these I think the Black Wolf Deluxe appears very good value at $164.90 for an R-value of 5.6, although my gut feeling is the Exped Downmat 7LW is probably the best mattress out of these options.

Opinions?

Are the Exped mats head and shoulders better than the Black Wolf mats? They are a lot dearer than Black Wolf for similar specs. I've read some negative reviews of the Exped brand in general on a hiking forum (was apparently a well-known problem with Expeds losing their outer/inner bond after a few years meaning they started bulging although according to one person this issue has since been rectified). See comments here: http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25914

Would love to hear from anyone with a Black Wolf or those who know both brands.

Cheers guys.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the Exped but I have a Blackwolf mega deluxe (100mm) thick self inflator and after 5.5 years of use it's still like new. Has been used for heaps of weekend trips and a Simpson trip so it is used regularly over the years.

Not a fan of everything blackwolf but I love that mattress. It's super comfortable so I do recommend BW self inflators.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 26th June 2017 at 08:48 PM.
    2007 DX CRD Wagon - EFS 2" lift, BOSS Chassis Brace Kit, Steel Bull Bar, Runva 9500-Q winch, FyrLyt's, Rock Sliders, Rear bar with wheel and twin jerry carriers, Drawers, Fridge slide, dual battery, Red Arc BCDC 1220, Red Arc EGT/Boost gauge, Scangauge, Uniden UHF, Prodigy P2 brake controller, CC Intercooler, Pacemaker 3" zhaust, HPD Dawes, ECU Remap.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (26th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the exped 10 and it is excellent. Expensive but no regrets now that I have used it.
    Depending on how big you are the 7 should be fine.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (27th June 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc4by View Post
    I have the exped 10 and it is excellent. Expensive but no regrets now that I have used it.
    Depending on how big you are the 7 should be fine.
    I'm no featherweight Mc4by! But I don't mind a firm mattress. Hmmm decisions decisions.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying one. Snowys have the Exped 10LXW Megamats currently on sale for $220 delivered. https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-lxw-camping-mat
    2016 GU Legend Edition: 3505Kg GVM Upgrade and Stuff!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Just a heads up for anyone thinking of buying one. Snowys have the Exped 10LXW Megamats currently on sale for $220 delivered. https://www.snowys.com.au/megamat-10-lxw-camping-mat
    When I got mine they had the same offer. Unfortunately I just happened to live outside the free zone.
    That is a great price though.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
    Legend thanks Steve! At that price I can't refuse. Order placed.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased 4 Self Inflating mattress from Anaconda when they had a 40% off sale. I got 2 king singles 90mm thick for Naomi and I and 60mm thick for the kids. I slept on my 90mm thick on the other week. it was Insanely Good. So pleased with them. Perfect for touring in the OzTent and pack up perfect. I also took advantage of the 40% off sale and got Sleeping Bags for the family too.

Brand is Denali from Anaconda.

This is the one i purchased for the Adults and is Awesome

https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...t/p/BP90033386

and for the kids

https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...t/p/BP90029537

Previously i had the big Dune Mattress but they are a bastard to deflate and pack and pack HUGE. The Denali pack down very very well and i was keen on a Premium mattress as a long term purchase. Very Happy.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought I'd chime in. We use the Black wolf deluxe ones in our Black wolf tent (i dont rate the tent by the way). For what they're worth, they are a good piece of kit. Keep an eye out at snowys as they are on sale quiet often. Quick shipping from Adelaide too. Use them all the time.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast