Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steep downhill control of an RB30 Patrol

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am not rapt with the lighter gearbox bolted to the RB30. Yes they had a higher first gear, as its guts is designed for skylines. When I was seeking info about rebuilding the first gearbox that let go, a supplier confirmed that it had the same ratios that Commodores ran.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I have read how to descend steep hills in a diesel powered vehicle: 1st low range and do not touch the brakes.

After only having done a few easy drives on hilly / muddy tracks, I wish to learn how to tackle difficult terrain in an RB30 petrol powered Patrol.

Compared to the gearing used for a TB42, 1st gear behind the RB30 is very tall and engine braking is minimal, even in low range.

I have tried to descend some very steep, but short tracks locally, by using different methods.

Using just the engine, it revs to about 2500-3000 RPM before there is any noticeable braking effect.

Of course, by that time the speed is suicidal and I have had to apply the brakes so as not to smash into the bottom of the hill or bounce off the track.

I have also found that applying the hand brake when moving, even very slowly is not an option as it tries to grab and shudder violently.
    I guess there's an issue with the hand brake shoes/drum to give out a shudder like that.

I've done steep downhill engine braking on first gear, but can't remember I compensated with brake or not.
    I'll have to try again.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123