OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Part needed - can you help?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small Part needed - can you help?

Hi folks,

I'm in the midst of getting our car & camper ready for an extended trip up the Cape in a few weeks time, & this morning discovered that the little plastic cap which fits over the remote winch controller had split & and disintegrated when removed.

It's a standard round Warn item which fits over the connector in the pic below.

The only items I can find online are in the USA & would cost around $70 with postage(!) & wouldn't get here in time. The local ARB shop suggested I'd have to buy a complete new control box(!) & the local wreckers said I could have one if I bought a complete winch from them!

Just wondering if anyone might have one sitting around that they could post to me. Happy to pay express postage & a few bucks for the plastic cap. FWIW the Warn Part description is a 'Winch Remote Control Socket Protector', Part no 98544 (which replaced 13299) Either would do. Doesn't need to be pretty - just in one piece. Doesn't even need to have the 'tail' piece to prevent loss when removed!

Pretty please - have a look in your shed to see if you've got one gathering dust somewhere. Alternatively if you can pick one up at a local wreckers or even buy new at a reasonable cost I'd be very grateful.

IMG_2991.jpeg
    Last edited by Cuppa; 14th May 2021 at 07:33 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try here $30 plus freight. Also, as a temporary fix the cap off one of those gas canisters will fit, might need a bit of tape around the socket to help tighten up the fit, but in a pinch will do. Simple red neck fix is cover with some duct tape!
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (14th May 2021), threedogs (22nd May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, I'll pop the rivets and express post this to you today. PM me details mate.

20210514_111429.jpg

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (14th May 2021), Hodge (14th May 2021), mudski (14th May 2021), threedogs (22nd May 2021), Woof (14th May 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Worst case scenario Cuppa...
    Get rid of it, and hard-wire the corresponding wires together...

Another option is, install a Wireless unit in the box with a remote. They're cheap as chips. And they all follow the same protocol. Usually 4 wires.
    2005 TD42TI

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (14th May 2021), matfew (14th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Cuppa, I'll pop the rivets and express post this to you today. PM me details mate.

20210514_111429.jpg
    Excellent! Thanks Plassy. PM on it's way.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Worst case scenario Cuppa...
    Get rid of it, and hard-wire the corresponding wires together...

Another option is, install a Wireless unit in the box with a remote. They're cheap as chips. And they all follow the same protocol. Usually 4 wires.
    Thanks Hodge. Getting to the wires would be a bit of a mission. The control box top is flush with the top of the bullbar, so I'm guessing it would mean having to pull off the bullbar, not easy witha bad back & no workshop. I did think about getting a wireless remote when we were back in Broome & discovered the original wired controller had gone bung, but at the time forked out the pot of gold necessary to get a new Warn replacement. Perhaps that was a mistake. With the wireless controllers does the transmitter remain plugged in to that connector on top of the control box permanently?

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Try here $30 plus freight. Also, as a temporary fix the cap off one of those gas canisters will fit, might need a bit of tape around the socket to help tighten up the fit, but in a pinch will do. Simple red neck fix is cover with some duct tape!
    Thanks TimE, I did see that after I posted, but thought $42 for a plastic cap, even though the cheapest I've seen, was still pretty rich for a plastic cap. Was headed in the redneck direction but then Plassy came to the rescue.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Thanks Hodge. Getting to the wires would be a bit of a mission. The control box top is flush with the top of the bullbar, so I'm guessing it would mean having to pull off the bullbar, not easy witha bad back & no workshop. I did think about getting a wireless remote when we were back in Broome & discovered the original wired controller had gone bung, but at the time forked out the pot of gold necessary to get a new Warn replacement. Perhaps that was a mistake. With the wireless controllers does the transmitter remain plugged in to that connector on top of the control box permanently?
    Fair enough mate sounds like you got it sorted. Legendary forum members to rescue ! @Plasnart hats off to you fella !

But are you not going to need to take the lid off the solenoid box to fit the plastic female plug anyway, in order to access wiring ??
    I thought they come prewired ...

Photo example.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Fair enough mate sounds like you got it sorted. Legendary forum members to rescue ! @Plasnart hats off to you fella !

But are you not going to need to take the lid off the solenoid box to fit the plastic female plug anyway, in order to access wiring ??
    I thought they come prewired ...
    No, it's only the cover(cap) I need. It may need the box to be removed to use the 'tether' strap on the cover. I'll have a look to see if it's possible to get the lid off without removing the bullbar, but if not possible I'll just cut the tether off. The cover (cap) should stay on ok, just need to remember to put it in a pocket when using the winch.

Would just like to say thanks again to Plassy, it's already on it's way to me. It's this sort of community spirit which makes the forum a keeper.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 14th May 2021 at 03:16 PM.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (15th May 2021), Cremulator (14th May 2021), mudnut (15th May 2021), rusty_nail (14th May 2021), Winnie (15th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Honestly, I would buy a roll of Gaffa tape and put tape straight over the top of it. Black gaffa. 300mm length. Top of box, over plug, bottom of box. Drive on.

When you are ready or have more time junk that whole thing and install the solenoid under the bonnetand that plug in your grill.

Have a great trip mate. Lucky Bustard..
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th May 2021), Hodge (14th May 2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast