OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 188

Thread: Mudski's High Warn High Mount Rebuild into an ARB GU Bar

  1. #11
    Travelling Podologist Cuppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ballarat, Vic
    Posts
    6,225
    Thanks
    1,743
    Thanked 6,326 Times in 2,665 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!
    Presumably for hardcore users?
    Have never seen one in real life. Are they a lot bigger/heavier than low mount Warns? What sort of pulling power are they rated at & what sort of amps would they pull from a battery on 'full noise'?
    If high mount means they somehow sit on top of the bullbar how so to avoid blocking airflow to the radiator?

    2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, 240v, 3 Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2 lift, Lovells GVM upgrade, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697s, Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, Tyredog TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life
    The Big Trip Blog

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  3. #12
    In Moderation
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    13,369
    Thanks
    6,561
    Thanked 8,271 Times in 5,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Looking awesome mate. Who told you the Ishkra motor was slow? I'm not sure that is accurate to be honest. The power is delivered differently , they don't suffer load as bad as the warn or bow to be honest and so don't slow down so much. Big winching on big hills the Ishkra will be king mate. Short snatch winching you might come our on top but it's seconds not minutes.

    They are wound differently. If I had to choose and was running 12v then my.money would go on an Ishkra 100%

    MB and Matty both have an Ishkra.

    Well proven solid performer that is almost impossible to kill.
    Maybe my interpretation of what their slow is, is obviously way off the mark then Darren. Is was looking at getting maybe the Bow2 motor. But I’m in no rush so I have time to decide.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

    MudRunnerTD (4th April 2020)

  5. #13
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,011
    Thanks
    10,320
    Thanked 11,000 Times in 5,666 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ishkra for the win mate. 100% cheaper and a better option for your usage IMO.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

    mudski (4th April 2020)

  7. #14
    The 747 Winnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Newborough, VIC
    Posts
    14,984
    Thanks
    6,546
    Thanked 10,561 Times in 5,564 Posts
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Nice!
    Presumably for hardcore users?
    Have never seen one in real life. Are they a lot bigger/heavier than low mount Warns? What sort of pulling power are they rated at & what sort of amps would they pull from a battery on 'full noise'?
    If high mount means they somehow sit on top of the bullbar how so to avoid blocking airflow to the radiator?
    High mount refers to the motor being mounted above the drum and driven by gears. Because of the design they are a lot bigger and a bit heavier than a standard low mount winch, this makes them much harder to fit to a bar too. Pic attached of how they look mounted. They do restrict a bit of airflow to the radiator for sure.
    From standard Warn rate them at 8000lbs and always recommend a double line pull, but we are putting bigger motors and other mods to strengthen them up and give much more power.
    Not sure what sort of current they would draw, all depends on which motor is used but they use the same style motor as is found on low mount winches.



    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

    Cuppa (5th April 2020), MB TD42 (5th April 2020), mudski (5th April 2020), PeeBee (5th April 2020), Rossco (5th April 2020)

  9. #15
    The 747 Winnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Newborough, VIC
    Posts
    14,984
    Thanks
    6,546
    Thanked 10,561 Times in 5,564 Posts
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've just done a little research Mudski, it looks like the Roadrunner bullet motors are rated as the best value motors at the moment.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

    mudski (5th April 2020), Rossco (5th April 2020)

  11. #16
    Legendary Rossco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,848
    Thanks
    7,111
    Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,203 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pic lol. Yeah its a bit funny the warn M8274 (high mount) the numbers refer to 8 (8000 pounds) 2 (two way - in and crappy freespool lol) and 74 year it was released. Originally came out with a 2.7HP motor then upgraded to a 4.6 HP but still rated at 8000 pounds although most put motors on at least 6HP along with other mod to strengthen so realistically capacity would be much greater.

    Winch looks awesome BTW Markie time to sink the bugger and give a good test lol. . Once we're allowed out again damit. .

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

    Lionel84 (22nd June 2020), mudski (5th April 2020)

  13. #17
    Travelling Podologist Cuppa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Ballarat, Vic
    Posts
    6,225
    Thanks
    1,743
    Thanked 6,326 Times in 2,665 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    High mount refers to the motor being mounted above the drum and driven by gears. Because of the design they are a lot bigger and a bit heavier than a standard low mount winch, this makes them much harder to fit to a bar too. Pic attached of how they look mounted. They do restrict a bit of airflow to the radiator for sure.
    From standard Warn rate them at 8000lbs and always recommend a double line pull, but we are putting bigger motors and other mods to strengthen them up and give much more power.
    Not sure what sort of current they would draw, all depends on which motor is used but they use the same style motor as is found on low mount winches.
    Thanks Winnie, I learned something there. So would I be right in thinking that the main attraction is their ability to be beefed up beyond standard? ie. Are they a better thing than the higher rated low mounts? I guess being more accessible seems is a bonus too..... & they do look pretty tough. Are they still sold new?

    2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, 240v, 3 Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2 lift, Lovells GVM upgrade, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697s, Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, Tyredog TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life
    The Big Trip Blog

  14. #18
    Legendary Rossco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,848
    Thanks
    7,111
    Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,203 Posts
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep still sold new and pretty much haven't changed since when they came out in 1974. Big advantages are external brake which is stronger but doesn't generate heat in the drum which can affect synthetic rope also having direct drive gearing as opposed to compact planetary style in a lowmount gives less losses in power and much stronger.

    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

    Cuppa (6th April 2020)

  16. #19
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,011
    Thanks
    10,320
    Thanked 11,000 Times in 5,666 Posts
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I've just done a little research Mudski, it looks like the Roadrunner bullet motors are rated as the best value motors at the moment.

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Where did you read that mate? Was it based on price? Output? Longevity? Low voltage performance, load speed,??

    So.many variables. I reckon when the going gets tough anything with a 6hp or better in a himount will get it done.

    @mudski you will find your splitting hair for speed in any of the high output up motors. If you want fast them go 24v . If you staying 12v then the Iskra for $380 is a bargain.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

    mudski (6th April 2020), Rossco (6th April 2020)

  18. #20
    In Moderation
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    13,369
    Thanks
    6,561
    Thanked 8,271 Times in 5,073 Posts
    Mentioned
    348 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post

    @mudski you will find your splitting hair for speed in any of the high output up motors. If you want fast them go 24v . If you staying 12v then the Iskra for $380 is a bargain.
    It was only because of what I was told Darren, or my interpretation. I took it that the Iskra was quite slow compared to the others. Speed is not really a deciding factor for me now I know there's f.a speed difference. Whats the HP of the Iskra anyway. Only info I can find is that its a 1.6kw motor. From my quick findings this equates to around 2.2HP. Doesn't seem right.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •