Thread: Auto diff lockers

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumcajs View Post
    Lokka is alright but a little scary in really soft stuff like sand. You can have a bit of under steer in that case so it is a case of being aware of it.
    As I do heaps of sand driving, so this was my biggest concern before I installed a front Lokka I could not turn off, they do work great in sand once you learn how to drive "with" one, it sounds like your trying to drive just as if you still have a open centre diff, remember, as with any front diff lock, when its engaged, you may have to adjust your driving style !

Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    You doo need to adjust your driving style when in 4wd. ie some times when turning and at full throttle you will need to back off (poofteenth of a second) to assist in the cournering. I had no dramas in soft sand at Loveday actually had a bloody ball, but again slight driving mods required

Exactly, once you've go the hang of doing this, ive found the car actually turns as good or better with the lokka in sand, in "all" situations ive come across !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (3rd April 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    As I do heaps of sand driving, so this was my biggest concern before I installed a front Lokka I could not turn off, they do work great in sand once you learn how to drive "with" one, it sounds like your trying to drive just as if you still have a open centre diff, remember, as with any front diff lock, when its engaged, you may have to adjust your driving style !

Exactly, once you've go the hang of doing this, ive found the car actually turns as good or better with the lokka in sand, in "all" situations ive come across !
    YUP X2 BA would be spewing he didnt hold out for his........ay Jonno

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clivelm View Post
    Hi the evil twin what did you mean by little quirks?
    You WILL at some point experience awesome understeer, usually when you least expect it, definitely when you least need it.

It's fun and provides for some good yarns over a cold sherbet but helps to carry a spare pair of jocks.

One way around it if you are on clay or other really slick surfaces is to unlock one FWH.
    I normally unlock the drivers side because it has the shorter axle so less twist and be a lazy prick it is closest hub when I get in and out.

Others have already explained how to drive on sand so won't discuss that any further.

If you have auto hubs on clay, well, best of luck
    Last edited by the evil twin; 4th April 2014 at 12:11 AM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How would a lokka in the rear and an elocker in the front work?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malboy View Post
    I would just put the elocker in the front and just rely on the LSD in the rear. I would not put a lokka in the rear unless you wanted your tyres to squeal around every corner and and have it sideways in the wet around every corner.
    If you really want both I'd be going through lokka in the front and the elocker in the back.
    2007 GU ST-S 4.8 Patrol.
    40mm heavy duty springs, Dual batteries,
    140 ltr fuel tank,Custom 60ltr water tank, draws, cargo barrier, bull bar, IPF spotties, UHF.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malboy View Post
    Hello Malboy and welcome to the Forum, any chance you can pop over to the intros
    and tell us abit about you and your ride,,polite and all, no harm done,,just something
    the forum asks of us all
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had my lokka in now for about 12 yrs with out any problems at all as others have said you need to adjust driving style but once used to it you will love it
    Theres only one thing tougher than my truck............. YES DEAR GOING TO DO THE LAWNS NOW
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries,can and do kill people and damage property

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well after having all sorts of issues with my 4wd engaged and trying to turn corners, steering becomes extra heavy it was pointed out it may have a locker in the front diff. How can I tell for sure without opening up the diff centre?
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack it up and spin one wheel see if the other one turns in the same direction. If it does get someone to try holding it if they can she's locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to growler2058 For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (2nd April 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12