Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    On the thurmo fan running after the engine is turned off, I would consider this superfluous as in my naive understanding we want to cool the block. With the engine off, no water is circulated hence we are probably waisting good battery capacity for no reason.

More than happy to be shown the errors of my thought pattern.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Not sure Rainsey, I'm for from mechanically minded, but do believe new cars that have thermo's work the same way. See you point, with not cooling the block when switched off. I guess at least if it starts 2 get hot, you can switch it off and have the fans running cooling the radiator before is pops the cap and looses coolant
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NissanGQ4.2 View Post
    Not sure Rainsey, I'm for from mechanically minded, but do believe new cars that have thermo's work the same way. See you point, with not cooling the block when switched off. I guess at least if it starts 2 get hot, you can switch it off and have the fans running cooling the radiator before is pops the cap and looses coolant
    Yeah, my wife's Subaru Outback only has thermo fans and they sometime roar after we had pulled up and stopped. For the life of em I can never figure out why. Further more, if you ever see the pitiful excuse for a battery in a Subi the last thing you want is something draining power when the engine is off.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the life of em I can never figure out why
    My guess is because the fans are set to constant power and the temp is still over what the factory temp is set at the temp switch when turned off, if that makes sense.
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

rainsey (12th March 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have just hit on something that I never thought of, thank you .... winching. Having said that, most of my winching has been short periods, probably no more than half an hour and not in a situation where I could not stop. This does not mean this will change.

I am pondering on the idea of a hydraulic winch. I still want to do this as you can winch all day and only suck 2 or 3 amps. The reason I have not done it yet is that with the set up under the bonnet with the serpentine belt, stuffed if I can figure out how to put in an additional oil pump. Don't want to winch off my stearing pump.

Thanks for the jog of the synaps. Good point.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Rainsey, why not consider an upgraded power steering pump with greater volume? You may be able to find something even like a variable vane pump that will operate with higher volume, however you would need a bias valve to isolated the power steering action when winching or the flow will drop off momentarily. I have fitted my aux pump with a lot of effort, and have just this week received the gear pump from the UK and am looking at the PTO driven option - hassle is the BD exhaust and this places a lot of restrictions, plus the offset of the PTO output shaft and the mounting of the pump to PTO are going to be a big challenge. I will share what I eventually come up with.
    Also, have a loot at some of the readily avail dual alternator set-ups in US. You may find a clue in the belt wraps they modify.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Rainsey, why not consider an upgraded power steering pump with greater volume? You may be able to find something even like a variable vane pump that will operate with higher volume, however you would need a bias valve to isolated the power steering action when winching or the flow will drop off momentarily. I have fitted my aux pump with a lot of effort, and have just this week received the gear pump from the UK and am looking at the PTO driven option - hassle is the BD exhaust and this places a lot of restrictions, plus the offset of the PTO output shaft and the mounting of the pump to PTO are going to be a big challenge. I will share what I eventually come up with.
    Also, have a loot at some of the readily avail dual alternator set-ups in US. You may find a clue in the belt wraps they modify.
    The big problem I have is working during the day, trying to renovate the house, finishing the rear deck, trying to modify the truck building the new stairs balustrade yadda yadda yadda .... to be brutally honest.. I'm stuffed.

Re the winch pump ... its sort of 305 down on the it's of what I need to do let alone what I'd like to do.

When I get all of my other issues sorted ... over heating, under power, crappy fuel economy.... I'll speak to the Dept of House and Finance and see if she will let me start work on the Hydraulic pump project.

I seriously will be interested in what you do. Sorry for sounding like a lazy F&*k but you know when you sit back and just realize how much you have started and how much you have actually finished ...

What I was after for the winch issue was a simple turnkey hydraulic pump solution that a vendor would say ... Here .. thi si what you need. Instead, I have been trying to contact over seas companies re hydraulic pup specs with absolutely no reply.

If I had a land rover or a derivative there of, no brainer....

Sorry for the negative response.

Kindest regards

Rainsey

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big problem I have is working during the day, trying to renovate the house, finishing the rear deck, trying to modify the truck building the new stairs balustrade yadda yadda yadda .... to be brutally honest.. I'm stuffed.

Re the winch pump ... its sort of 305 down on the it's of what I need to do let alone what I'd like to do.

When I get all of my other issues sorted ... over heating, under power, crappy fuel economy.... I'll speak to the Dept of House and Finance and see if she will let me start work on the Hydraulic pump project.

I seriously will be interested in what you do. Sorry for sounding like a lazy F&*k but you know when you sit back and just realize how much you have started and how much you have actually finished ...

What I was after for the winch issue was a simple turnkey hydraulic pump solution that a vendor would say ... Here .. thi si what you need. Instead, I have been trying to contact over seas companies re hydraulic pup specs with absolutely no reply.

If I had a land rover or a derivative there of, no brainer....

Sorry for the negative response.

Kindest regards

Rainsey

All good, and understand that life is simply about priorities and choices. I struggled just to get the flowrate of the nissan pump, then to find an aux. that would deliver in excess of that in a small package. The belt driven pump is supplied without a pulley, so you could fit a serpentine belt unit if required. mY PUMP IS RATED AT 25LPM@2000RPM PUMP SPEED . You are correct regards selection of the hydraulic style for extended winching, and if you search long enough will find a solution that meets your needs with minimal hassle - but as you say, you are time poor and we have all been there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pics of the twin 16" fans Rainsey.
    Not suggesting this is the way you should go as I'm unsure of your usage plans mate. In regards shrouds for electric fans it is my belief that they are already built into them and with a twin setup I'd say my custom fat brass radiator appears at least 80% covered. Space wise with a GU 6.5 conversion I reckon a shroud would be near flat blocking sheet metal anyway. One very important lesson I've learnt the hard way on previous rigs is to never use those electric fan push through radiator zips or bolts with fender washers sometimes also supplied. They will destroy a radiators cores in off-road conditions IMO. Weld up proper mounting rails to bolt to and keep the fans just a few mm off touching the radiator. Pic below also of the 'Derale' control unit for the fans. It has some great positives but also some quirks that I'm trying to adjust/iron out. Positive 1&2 are that it only requires 1 x sender and also auto kicks the second fan on 10F higher for emergencies. Issues are that it requires 10F below fan 1 kick off to turn off fan 2. I have combated this by a 60 sec full shutdown reset of its brain whilst coasting along. Once all cooling mods are done it should be ok but I'm thinking 2 x seperate senders with seperate adjustments each would be better. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (13th March 2017), rainsey (14th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Pics of the twin 16" fans Rainsey.
    Not suggesting this is the way you should go as I'm unsure of your usage plans mate. In regards shrouds for electric fans it is my belief that they are already built into them and with a twin setup I'd say my custom fat brass radiator appears at least 80% covered. Space wise with a GU 6.5 conversion I reckon a shroud would be near flat blocking sheet metal anyway. One very important lesson I've learnt the hard way on previous rigs is to never use those electric fan push through radiator zips or bolts with fender washers sometimes also supplied. They will destroy a radiators cores in off-road conditions IMO. Weld up proper mounting rails to bolt to and keep the fans just a few mm off touching the radiator. Pic below also of the 'Derale' control unit for the fans. It has some great positives but also some quirks that I'm trying to adjust/iron out. Positive 1&2 are that it only requires 1 x sender and also auto kicks the second fan on 10F higher for emergencies. Issues are that it requires 10F below fan 1 kick off to turn off fan 2. I have combated this by a 60 sec full shutdown reset of its brain whilst coasting along. Once all cooling mods are done it should be ok but I'm thinking 2 x seperate senders with seperate adjustments each would be better. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whoooooooooo.... brain is going to overload. Can we talk?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,241 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anytime Rainsey mate, I'll PM mobile number. Just a thought, AB's donk party forum meetup is only a month away down here in Mexico. Phil is coming along with his beast and pizza ovens. I reckon a third 6.5er in attendance would be tops mate if you're free and up for a state border crossing into some good test country over the 4 day ANZAC weekend !

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (17th March 2017), Winnie (17th March 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Anytime Rainsey mate, I'll PM mobile number. Just a thought, AB's donk party forum meetup is only a month away down here in Mexico. Phil is coming along with his beast and pizza ovens. I reckon a third 6.5er in attendance would be tops mate if you're free and up for a state border crossing into some good test country over the 4 day ANZAC weekend !
    Come on Rainsey, its going to be tremendous weekend by all accounts. I am looking forward to putting some faces to the 'signatures' on the site.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (19th March 2017), rainsey (20th March 2017)

Page 62 of 134 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast