Thread: All Things Chev

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    God, this is digging deep and on my third scotch and ice, its becoming difficult!!!

The air is only going to be compressed based on the flowrate down the tube and the resultant pressure - bearing in mind in this situation that pressure is simply system resistance as we don't have a positive compressive device like a fan or pump - itsd whatever air is flowing based on vehicle velocity into the end of the hose. Without a fan as such this is heading towards lab grade measurement device and well beyond what the mere mortal could afford.

If you had your DP device without a hose it will still detect the pressure difference, but may not indicate it unless the scale/sensitivity is correct, and unless the volume of air is significant you wont see the pressure build up in your compressible medium, so again, very small airflow is a problem. Its possible to detect very small pressure differences with a pitot tube, laid over on the side and measuring 'hundredths of an inch wg', but hard to steer down the road and not crash at the same time.

If this was water or incompressible we would be laughing for sure.

What you could do is measure the DP across the intercooler coil. The question then is whether this DP can be related to cooling capacity. The variables from a mechanical sense would be it the flow rate high enough butthe PD across the coil too great to effectively strip the heat out of the air, or is the flowrate too low to allow the coil to operate effectively. I dont know the answer as these are really design related issues - so in essence you need to find out the flow rate required, at what temperature range, the efficiency curve matches the intercooler at. The DP then is the design element that relates to the efficiency of the heat transfer device - I think thats clear??? So if the DP is too high the cooling effect is lower, if the differential temperature between the cooling air and the 'to be cooled air' is too close the efficiency drops also.End of the day its heat energy being transferred by whatever method is in play.

My glass is empty, going for a re-fill.
    You my man have given me inspiration. Nothing to do with Manometers but more the 12 year old Chivas I have on the shelf. Let me digest every thing we have discussed and I will see if I can catch up at least on the scotch front.

Have a great night and thankyou kindly for the insight.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I am going to bed, been at work since 4.30am today and a bit shagged. Will post tomorrow, and enjoy the Chivas - I am done for the night!!! Have a crack at 18TO Glenfiddich - bit drier than chivas , not a great deal different but you can drink a bottle and still be ok in the morning - well worth the cost!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

rainsey (5th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    how can I get hold of these and I will start filling them out
    I don't think they can be sent through here mate, might need to PM an email address and I'll shoot em to ya there, Cheers!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rainsey (6th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I don't think they can be sent through here mate, might need to PM an email address and I'll shoot em to ya there, Cheers!
    Doh,

Why didn't I think of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

MB (6th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All sent Rainsey, have fun and thanks for all the effort. That info will help us all heaps mate, Cheers!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

rainsey (6th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very happy to report that the 4" snorkel and airbox/new custom route all done by Mill @Millweld has worked wonders! Do need to reinstall the second battery now on the chassis as previously planned. Too early to give exact figures and oil coolers aren't hooked up as yet but I can say powers up a minimum 10% would like to say 20% but that's probably too much excitement from its newfound grumble free flowing sound! I do know that water temps truly appear to be more stable, 88-92D max on the flat highway stuff back. I pushed it to roughly 102D on the last final test hill home which depending on ambient temps unloaded would reach between 104-114D tops after last radiator mods. The most intriguing thing has been fuel consumption does appear to be down significantly!! Stay tuned, like Rainsey, works flat out and we all need the coin to keep going:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (9th March 2017), PeeBee (9th March 2017), rainsey (9th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very very happy to report that the 4" snorkel and airbox/new custom route all done by Mill @Millweld has worked wonders! Do need to reinstall the second battery now on the chassis as previously planned. Too early to give exact figures and oil coolers aren't hooked up as yet but I can say powers up a minimum 10% would like to say 20% but that's probably too much excitement from its newfound grumble free flowing sound! I do know that water temps truly appear to be more stable, 88-92D max on the flat highway stuff back. I pushed it to roughly 102D on the last final test hill home which depending on ambient temps unloaded would reach between 104-114D tops after last radiator mods. The most intriguing thing has been fuel consumption does appear to be down significantly!! Stay tuned, like Rainsey, works flat out and we all need the coin to keep going:-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't believe it... I was in contact this week re a 4" snorkel for my truck and Millsy sent me photos of the snorkel on a GU. I state that I had a 6.5 hand he said that it was a 6.5 that he took the photo off.

The photo I have is obviously your truck. I did not enquirer re the air box as I have the standard BD K&N unit. Let me know how you go with it,

Small world

Cheers Rainsey

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

AB (10th March 2017), MB (9th March 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pisser, I'm requesting royalties on pics then :-) All jokes aside and truly no spruiking for Mill here, I am am a very happy 6.5 'NA' camper :-) Phil and I currently posting here 'NA's' don't have turbos or inter coolers like you rich blokes so this mod is hands down the first needed in my newfound opinion only ;-)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (9th March 2017), rainsey (9th March 2017)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pisser, I'm requesting royalties on pics then :-) All jokes aside and truly no spruiking for Mill here, I am am a very happy 6.5 'NA' camper :-) Phil and I currently posting here 'NA's' don't have turbos or inter coolers like you rich blokes so this mod is hands down the first needed in my newfound opinion only ;-)
    Ha Ha, Love your work. Ive ordered mine albeit I have just gone with the plain stainless and I have bought a Donaldson Ram Head to go on it.

I'm hanging out to get it before I send the truck down for a Tune and Dyno.

I was too tight arse for the powder coating.... did you go with it for looks or functionality. Must admit , it looks pretty good.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rainsey For This Useful Post:

MB (9th March 2017)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great mark, glad to hear you can feel tangible improvement. Of course this is only going to add pressure on me to now upgrade from the Safari 3" to Millweld 4" - yeah, thanks for that!!!

Now, start filling up that under bonnet area with junk - it looks too bare!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (9th March 2017)

Page 60 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast