Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 764 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ABS & Trac Control Lights Come On. 2013 GU

2013 GU with 3" lift. Lift has been in for at least 10,000 ks. Have noticed the Trac Control (TC) flick in when going around corners every now and then, but not really a problem.

In the past week, both the TC and ABS lights have begun to come on on the dash. Every time that has been while driving on bitumen roads at highway speeds and not in 4WD.

I pull over, turn the car off and the lights go away. There doesn't seem to be any brake issues, they seem to operate as normal.

Could this be the 'steering wheel is not dead centre' issue I've read about or something else or a combination of things? I have an adjustable panhard rod ready to go to centre up the steering wheel, but thought I'd ask the question of others.

Thanks for any help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2014 Titanium has the same issue since fitting the lift. I have a 2" lift and adjustable rod fitted. I have adjusted my steering wheel to "dead center" and still have to the issue happening, but not a frequent as before the adjustable rod and "centered" steering wheel.

My TC still activates on tight "round-abouts" or corners. If I'm aware of lots of corners or bends coming, I switch it off. To my knowledge, switching the TC off doesn't disable the ABS. I gave up trying to sort this so I regularly switch the TC off.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi bazzaboy, I read a thread in which you contributed a fair about this problem, sounds like my problem is the same thing.

Funny that it took almost 12 months to start happening (I said I did 10,000ks, it's closer to 25,000). I wonder if my wheel alignment may have gone out a bit over the past almost 12 months and that's why this has started happening??????

The thing I was most concerned about was if there was an error with the ABS, I've heard all sorts of grief with ABS going mad and putting vehicles into limp mode and they stagger home at 40km/h.

I'll be putting my adj. panhard in soon and getting a wheel alignment, maybe that will fix the problem???? Also, I'm slowly getting into the habit of turning the TC off, just like releasing the hand brake when I take off, bloody useless thing ... the TC that is, I rather like the handbrake.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=10G;713499]Hi bazzaboy, I read a thread in which you contributed a fair about this problem, sounds like my problem is the same thing.

Funny that it took almost 12 months to start happening (I said I did 10,000ks, it's closer to 25,000). I wonder if my wheel alignment may have gone out a bit over the past almost 12 months and that's why this has started happening??????

The thing I was most concerned about was if there was an error with the ABS, I've heard all sorts of grief with ABS going mad and putting vehicles into limp mode and they stagger home at 40km/h.

I'll be putting my adj. panhard in soon and getting a wheel alignment, maybe that will fix the problem???? Also, I'm slowly getting into the habit of turning the TC off, just like releasing the hand brake when I take off, bloody useless thing ... the TC that is, I rather like the handbrake.[/QUOT

It is strange that it took 12 months to start happening. Mine started immediately after the 2" inch lift and 33" tyres. As I said, fitting an adjustable rod, steering & camber correction, wheel alignment & balance, did not totally fix the problem, it still happens and it is annoying. I've had no issues with the ABS and on two occasions when I've needed to slam on the brakes ( with the TC off ) the ABS certainly worked.

Good luck with it, and if you manage to find a solution, I'd be keen to know.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that was going to be my suggestion - adj steering rods and make sure it is dead centre.

I had a 3" lift in my before the gvm upgrade and it was never an issue.

I wonder if you can reset the yaw sensor or TC system?

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a fix up. The light I thought was an ABS light is the light that tells you you've lost traction, called the slip light or something, it's part of the TC which is called the VDC. I'm really glad I worked that out as to me it's not such a big issue as if it's something the driver can turn off, then it can't be essential to the operation of the vehicle, which is way different to a possible ABS fault.

I'll fit the new panhard and see how we get on.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Just a fix up. The light I thought was an ABS light is the light that tells you you've lost traction, called the slip light or something, it's part of the TC which is called the VDC. I'm really glad I worked that out as to me it's not such a big issue as if it's something the driver can turn off, then it can't be essential to the operation of the vehicle, which is way different to a possible ABS fault.

I'll fit the new panhard and see how we get on.
    This is the same "light" issue I'm referring to.