OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front lockers in a Gq Pro and Cons ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front lockers in a Gq Pro and Cons ?

I have been told that the best set up is the rear LSD and front lockers, but lockers are only good for a straight line pull ? We want through a snaky very slippery run through some tree's where I would think you would need lockers but wouldn't you also lose steering through the turns, some don't like the lose of steering and said don't bother with front lockers thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In that scenario, autolockers wouldn't be the way to go. The ability to switch the locker on and off would give you a tight steering circle when required.

I am saving up for an E-locker.
    Last edited by mudnut; 21st June 2020 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    In that scenario, autolockers wouldn't be the way to go. The ability to switch the locker on and off would give you a tight steering circle when required.

I am saving up for an E-locker.
    If you haven't already driven with one, I think you may be surprised how much steering you get with an E-locker. A couple of times I've been on hills requiring 'commitment' , with rock steps, & twists & turns. Switched on the e-locker at the bottom & just drove up & around the twists & turns. Not the sort of terrain where stopping to switch off the e-locker was a consideration, especially with the Tvan in tow!

Something I did learn since we've been away was in very tight stuff where maximum tightness of steering was required, was to change to 2wd to get around the obstacle in question. I suppose most people know that, but I'd never been told , or read, to do that. The leaf sprung GU utes do have a significantly larger turning circle than their coil sprung siblings.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (21st June 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    If you haven't already driven with one, I think you may be surprised how much steering you get with an E-locker. A couple of times I've been on hills requiring 'commitment' , with rock steps, & twists & turns. Switched on the e-locker at the bottom & just drove up & around the twists & turns. Not the sort of terrain where stopping to switch off the e-locker was a consideration, especially with the Tvan in tow!

Something I did learn since we've been away was in very tight stuff where maximum tightness of steering was required, was to change to 2wd to get around the obstacle in question. I suppose most people know that, but I'd never been told , or read, to do that. The leaf sprung GU utes do have a significantly larger turning circle than their coil sprung siblings.
    Why would the e-locker be any different to the the air locker, one is electrical engagement and other is air, am I missing something ?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to First Pooy For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st June 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    Why would the e-locker be any different to the the air locker, one is electrical engagement and other is air, am I missing something ?
    Probably not. I only commented on the E-locker 'cos that's the only locker I've ever used & that was what Mudnut had said he was saving for. That said I had learned before getting it about how lockers on the front axle make steering very heavy, & was pleasantly surprised at just how useable it actually is. Yes the steering is a bit heavier but it certainly doesn't feel like trying to turn something in treacle.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (21st June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That is good first hand info. I was echoing what I was told by the local Patrol mechanic. He refuses to fit auto lockers.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I had the spare cash I'd fit a locker in the front every day of the week. I don't really understand the concern. If you have the locker your rig will be that much more capable. If you're heading into a tight section where turning is more important than traction just flick it off.

Just like picking a good line or the right gear. Sometimes you get it wrong and need to have a second crack.

My old fourby was front and rear locked and I miss it all the time. I do remember flicking the lockers in and out on some tracks where I had to get around some pesky trees. I've not used one, but for the same reasons I wouldn't bother with an auto locker.
    2003 GU TD42 with a few extra ponies

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not sure I understand what you mean Cuppa? Do you mean you put it in 2wd instead of turning off the elocker? Or your steering is tighter in 2wd than open front diff 4wd? That would surprise me a lot. I dont understand how this is possible actually.

In relation to Traction and a front locker.... front locker rocks mate. Air Locker or E Locker is the same thing. Go for it. The fact you can punch it in and out is the whole idea.

On a slippery hill you loose traction so the locker will let you steer. In tight low speed you can turn it on and off as you wish.

My GU has a rebuilt LSD rear diff and an Air Locker in the front. The rear LSD does most of the work and the front only gets used when it is needed. Not much but bloody awesome when you push that button.

I Vote LSD and Front Locker
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 21st June 2020 at 08:53 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mudrunner Nothing to do with a locker. If the going gets very tight, putting the transfer lever into 2wd gives tighter steering than 4wd with hubs locked. (ie. no need to get out of car to unlock hubs). Try it.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (21st June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @mudrunner Nothing to do with a locker. If the going gets very tight, putting the transfer lever into 2wd gives tighter steering than 4wd with hubs locked. (ie. no need to get out of car to unlock hubs). Try it.
    Hmmmm? Seems odd. Will check it out for sure.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast