Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hi Lift Jack Mounting options

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The only thing I would hang off one of those ARB type jack holders would be shovel and a cable spool over the handle as I do when needed. Yes I also have come attached to my high lift jack, carried one for 30yrs as well. Rarely comes off though as I choose to avoid the need for it. Certainly do agree that modern 4x4 vehicles unless modified to suit high lift jack application are near to useless and is irrespective of what ground you are on.. Most bull bars today would not handle the lift. And take into consideration the shock travel to actually lift the wheel off the ground. Chain and hooks thru wheel rim come in handy. Had a SWB land cruiser in the 80's with steel bars front and back (HHD) and could handle what ever you threw at it. How quick it was to throw 4 chains under it as I once did after sliding off the track and came to rest off to the side. Was the only way to get out, no other vehicles. Lift logs too.

My high lift jack is stowed in behind the wheel carrier, adapted a Kaymar jack holder to the Millweld rear bar wheel carrier.

If you are confident to use a h/lift jack and safely put it on the top of a the roof if you have not got the solid mounting available else where.

Do not under sling it like the rear tow bar joke as you probably won't be able to get to it when you get stuck, and anyway you will be just digging-in.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (5th May 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned, do love em in the right high lift steel situation needed.
    Pictures below direct from ‘Hi-Lift’ site. Picture here also is only possible due to structural box steel extended slider but as soon as the Jeep Weeps sideways slightly, can opener door time and usually with upper hand/knuckles stuck between, bad idea :-( ! https://hi-lift.com/hi-lift-jacks/x-treme/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (5th May 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Lift Jack Mounting options

Almost forgot, last picture from their site, fool has his head over the lever/handle awaiting a jaw realignment. Only takes a bit of crud in between upper & lower pin workings. There aint no third redundancy pin on any brand, always ease lever pumps and listen for solid home clicks of each!!
    EDIT: “Deep Clicks/Lock” !!

Last edited by MB; 5th May 2018 at 09:05 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Bidja (5th May 2018), GQtdauto (5th May 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just downloaded the ‘4Wd supaCenta’ instructional video for their version wacky jack.
    https://youtu.be/Bp-rWsBpIUU

https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/her...ck-48inch.html
    Buyer and everyone around the vicinity please be aware!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Almost forgot, last picture from their site, fool has his head over the lever/handle awaiting a jaw realignment. Only takes a bit of crud in between upper & lower pin workings. There aint no third redundancy pin on any brand, always ease lever pumps and listen for solid home clicks of each!!
    EDIT: “Deep Clicks/Lock” !!

keeps his gloves nice and clean though.

“Deep Clicks/Lock”
    reminds me of "cock, lock, look" safety safety first
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

MB (5th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    really should be outlawed , one tip is leave the handle either up all the way up or down all the way.
    I used to make 300mm extensions for them. Mainly for older style 4x4 [steel] it allowed you to reach under the
    4x4 and lift from the chassis. You can push ,pull, split wood you name it I have 3 dont ask, but take extra shear pins
    a base plate 300mm x 300mm there are heaps of bits and pieces you can add to make life easier, great on leaf spring 4x4s
    not so good on coil front 4x4s. great for pulling fence posts out just put the foot in a notch and jack away. If there is no
    notch wrap a bit of rated chain around and lift that way, while we are at it only use equipment that is rated to do the job
    meaning stamped SWL shackles and hercalloy chain. do everything to eliminate any accidents or mishaps, oh sht rant over
    Last edited by threedogs; 7th May 2018 at 07:59 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

12. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (8th May 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All, Thanks for all the input, Just got back from Cardwell for the long weekend. I agree with all of your comments and appreciate your honest feedback. I have had the old Kangaroo Jack sitting in the shed for years and yes it goes back to the days of living in Darwin.
    I used to be surveying up there for the Commonwealth Govt and each vehicle had one of these attached to it. I guess the big thing is like you have mentioned was that these Troop Carriers and Toyota Utes were built like Brick St/houses and full of steel jacking points for the Jack. We used to take off through the bush and the bull bars were used to knock any sapling out of the way forward. So that also came with getting a few flat tyres, just part of the process where you could stop and repair with a bead breaker on the split rims.

The Jacks were very useful but as discussed deserved to be used wisely. I used to go camping with the old FJ40 which also had good mounting points on the step plate and attached to a bracket on the front door frame.

I see it could still be useful to me these days only if I get one of those chain hooks that attach to the wheel for lifting or to lift the boat trailer if it gets a flat when we head bush next month. Like some one said I don't want it to be a can opener on my door.

I guess the only option is to mount it on the roof racks of my GU or bolt it somewhere on the camper trailer that my son will be towing

Camper trailer may be the best option. It has the solid thick draw bar. Like anything I will wrap it up in plastic and padding for protection.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillipA View Post
    snip...

I see it could still be useful to me these days only if I get one of those chain hooks that attach to the wheel for lifting or to lift the boat trailer if it gets a flat when we head bush next month. Like some one said I don't want it to be a can opener on my door.
    Air bag mate... get an Air bag.

All of that can be done in 1/2 the time, with no major concerns by an air bag (or exhaust jack if one prefers).

Did quite a few years in Darwin as well, during and after my time in the military and would have carried an air bag over a hi-lift anytime if they were available back then esp out on that black soil in the wet.

For vehicle specific purposes the only thing they do an airbag won't is break beads.
    I went the same way and held onto hi-lifts for ages with a wheel mate attachment till I saw the light.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok evil, I'm going to look into these air bags. By the all the comments they sound ok.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    And I thought they were just status symbols like fluffy dice on the rear view mirror .
    When you run a 4" lift with 35's, the little bottle jack you get as a standard doesn't even reach the car, even when it's fully extended haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast