User Tag List

Thread: Bedding your winch rope

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bedding your winch rope

What is the best way to bed in dyneema rope on your winch?
    I pulled my daughters small 4 cylinder car along a flat car park. Is that enough or should I be hauling something a bit heavier before I use it for the patrol?
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The more load the better really... but... having said that...
    Under minimal load, a layer snug and parallel then a layer with an aggressive 'criss cross' also works.

The objective is to stop the rope sinking in thru the lower layers when winching under high load.
    That is more prone to happen the looser the lower layers are wound and a 'criss cross' will stop that.
    Only downside is that some winches are loaded to the max and you may not have the space.

I load mine on by winching my truck along teh drive with the park brake slightly applied.

That last layer doesn't matter as much as that is usually deployed so often doesn't need to wind back on under load
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th October 2017 at 09:27 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (9th October 2017), Hodge (7th October 2017), MB (7th October 2017), Mc4by (8th October 2017), mudnut (7th October 2017), MudRunnerTD (8th October 2017), PeeBee (8th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice, Cheers ET!
    Rope on my winch is quite new to me. @MudRunnerTD did recently help greatly on a snow trip where I came adrift alone as last car. Upon re-spooling kindly showed me the 'final layers'- 'criss/cross' method you both kindly mention. Old cable days would have never dared but truly works fast on this new great stuff ;-)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th October 2017), the evil twin (8th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah criss cross for the win works a treat. I do 1 layer then s couple of crossed then another layer.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2017), PeeBee (8th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To get the criss cross do you just steer left and right?
    I wouldn't want to be trying to pull it by hand under load.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc4by View Post
    To get the criss cross do you just steer left and right?
    I wouldn't want to be trying to pull it by hand under load.
    If you use the "criss cross" then you don't need very much load at all and a human guiding the rope side to side.
    Use gloves and keep a 1/2 metre or so from the winch hawse, another way is use a broom handle, shovel or whatever or a Shackle.
    Put the line thru the shackle so it is totally free and just pull the shackle side to side as you winch in.

My drive is level so I do it by myself after washing the rope or whatever by applying the park brake just a tad and use my remote in one hand and guide the line with the other
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2017), Mc4by (8th October 2017), mudnut (8th October 2017), MudRunnerTD (8th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With Rope you don't really need to load the winch like steel rope. Steel rope had terrible memory issues so keeping load on it will spool well. Rope will just load as you lay it.

When you finish a winch recovery you will almost certainly need to re-spool as it will likely be bunched to one side.
    Just freespool out untill it's neat and unaffected by the recovery and re-spool by hand using criss cross method
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

MB (8th October 2017), Mc4by (8th October 2017), mudnut (8th October 2017)