Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GQ dash cluster dicky

Thanks
    Thanked 5,352 Times in 3,170 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The cluster is user friendly when troubleshooting. A common fault is that the legs on the crystal deteriorate. The screws hold the gauge to the panel. Just be careful when disassembling it all.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

davidbutton (7th August 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that. I will take care. I have a background of a lifetime in the electronics industry. But I know how brittle some old gear can get unless you hasten slowly. :-)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mudnut, it sounds as though you have had the cluster apart. Some of those screws look as if they are holding the panel there and some look as though they carry an electrical connection through to the PC boards inside and as you say to the gauges. From Mark89s picture earlier in this post can you tell me which are which or am I wrong in my assumption. Those in the triangular patterns definitely look to be electrical connections. I am just going by looking at it, I haven't disassembled anything yet. :-)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a spare cluster on the shelf if your want me to have a look at anything, happy to pull it apart and get some pics if you like, I'm never ginna use it. . .

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

davidbutton (7th August 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    I've got a spare cluster on the shelf if your want me to have a look at anything, happy to pull it apart and get some pics if you like, I'm never ginna use it. . .

Thanks for that mate but I have the one I got from the wreckers to play with. I will know soon enough how it goes together. (or not) :-)

Thank you for the offer though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to davidbutton For This Useful Post:

Rossco (7th August 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The square pattern is the speedo. From memory, I think there is another screw holding the speedo in as well.

@Rossco, if you aren't going to use the cluster would you consider selling it? I need a unit I can strip down to practice repairs on.

There maybe some info in this thread that may help. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...peed-sometimes
    Last edited by mudnut; 8th August 2017 at 12:34 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

davidbutton (13th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    The square pattern is the speedo. From memory, I think there is another screw holding the speedo in as well.

@Rossco, if you aren't going to use the cluster would you consider selling it? I need a unit I can strip down to practice repairs on.

There maybe some info in this thread that may help. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...peed-sometimes
    Hey craig, yeah its all yours it's just sitting on the shelf doing nothing was going to do a clean out sometime. PM me your address and I'll send it. . .

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

davidbutton (8th August 2017), mudnut (8th August 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That link is perfect Mudnut. Thanks heaps. I have been doing a search around on this great forum but hadn't found that one. Again thanks.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Job done. Thanks to posts by mudnut and others. Checking that the issue was in fact the speedo and not the sensor or sensor wiring, I figured that the speedo and odometer both use the same pulse train from the sensor. Given that, I zeroed the tripmeters on both the cluster and on my gps and waited until I had clocked 1200 km. The difference was within 2km. Pretty good and proved to me that the sensor data was getting to the speedo ok. I bought a cluster from the wreckers and removed the speedo. This is only held in by four screws. Those four screws also carry power and the pulse train from the printed loom to the speedo pc board. Also disconnect the plug wiring to the odometer. The speedo then simply comes out. Removing the cluster from the truck and swapping the speedo mechanisms over and putting cluster back in the truck. Road test and check against the gps. Just about perfect. Job done. Thanks guys.
    IMG_20170812_202159.jpgIMG_20170813_083713.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by davidbutton; 13th August 2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: getting the pics the right way around. Doh!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done and thanks for the feedback and pictures. If you still have any more problems, check that the power wiring and earth points are all in good condition. Have a real good look at the circuit board on the old speedo. You may find the fault and be able to repair it. If you find that you need to adjust the speed, there is a small potentiometer that is accessible by drilling a small hole in the top of the cluster, so it can be adjusted while still in the dash.

The fuzzy pic in post#7 of this thread shows the hole. http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...-Helpful-Hints
    Last edited by mudnut; 13th August 2017 at 03:22 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

mad66 (23rd January 2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast