Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking at a new V8 Patrol

G'day All

As the title says I'm thinking of buying a new Patrol , I have prices on a 200-GXL and a VX Landcruisers but I had a look at a couple of Patrols today , there seem to be a lot more bang for your buck with a Patrol and these new CRD motors with DPF's sure seem to have a few problems

I will have a look around and a read of info on the forum , I guess the big thing is one is Diesel and the other Petrol , anyone have some real world fuel consumption numbers

I have a Isuzu Dmax extra cab , tray atm , towing a Tvan . We have just returned from a trip of about 11.5K to the Gulf , Lorella Springs the Dmax is very economical , I like to travel at about 100kph , plus maybe a couple more , same speed as Trucks / Road trains they don't have to overtake me and I rarely need to round them up , driving at 85/90 to save fuel that's not me .

I do a lot of High Country trips

I would have to rethink the way I carry all my junk with a wagon , where do I put the smelly stuff , chain saw , fuel ect . its easy with a tray .

anyway I would like some real info from owners , good / bad .

regards Jacko

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am prepared to test drive it for you. Ill gove it a good run. Say a weekend to be fair!!

Beast car mate!

Toyotas are for wankers and brain washed fools who cant see past the badge.

Sooooo much more bang for buck. 300kw cause you can!!
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 4th May 2018 at 07:08 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (7th May 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have real world fuel consumption figures in my thread in this y62 section.

Get one mate. You wont ever look back. Such a great car.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I have real world fuel consumption figures in my thread in this y62 section.

Get one mate. You wont ever look back. Such a great car.
    Thanks for the reply

I had a flick through your thread , a best of 15.6 and a worst of 19.3 is that right . Nissan claim a combined average of 14.4 , would 17-18 be more like it
    I see the specs call for min of 95RON , I wonder if that would be a problem in the OutBack where they have that stuff ya cant get high on if you sniff it .
    Is there much aftermarket gear available , Winch Bars , Side rails ect
    They have 18" wheels std , is there any 17" aftermarked ones that are legal .( I really would prefer 16 inch ) I do a fair bit of 4wding in the Vic Highcountry .

Regards Jacko

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Best of 15.6 and worst at 22. Mine is a 2013 but the newer ones apparently are slightly better on fuel. The new engines have variable exhaust and intake timing. My one only has variable intake.
    They run fine on the lower octane fuels so outback fuel shouldnt be to much of a problem.

Yes there is a little bit of gear out there for them not quite as much as for the y61 but you can wrap them in barwork like most others just manufacturers are limited.

You will most likely need to stay with 18" wheels. These things have massive brakes hence 18s. You might get away with a 17 but it would need a huge offset and I think this is unlikely. Remember you can put 35s on these legally.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If 95RON is a concern you can carry a small bottle or two of octane additives.

My daughter does that for her Works Special Mini as higher octane fuel can be a PIA to get outside major regionals or along the Nullabor here in WA
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found a YouTube Channel of a bloke that has a Y62 , he has fitted some 17" wheels , so it looks like it can be done .
    The idea of 35inch tyres sounds good but what effect has it on performance , gearing , fuel , breaking ect . I don't know .
    I wouldn't be looking to weigh the thing down with a lot of bar work , something on the front just to mount a winch , as most of you probably know its very easy to add weight and be over GVM .
    The local Nissan Dealer has 3 Patrols a Ti , Ti-L and a series 3 demo Ti , all 3 have been on the lot for a while , certainly not fast sellers around here anyway , I would need to check the actual build dates .
    I see a 20K price difference between a LC200 GXL and a Ti is often mentioned on the net , the figure I have is $8800 difference and the GXL still looks like a poverty pack compared to the Ti

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackofjr View Post
    I have found a YouTube Channel of a bloke that has a Y62 , he has fitted some 17" wheels , so it looks like it can be done .
    The idea of 35inch tyres sounds good but what effect has it on performance , gearing , fuel , breaking ect . I don't know .
    I wouldn't be looking to weigh the thing down with a lot of bar work , something on the front just to mount a winch , as most of you probably know its very easy to add weight and be over GVM .
    The local Nissan Dealer has 3 Patrols a Ti , Ti-L and a series 3 demo Ti , all 3 have been on the lot for a while , certainly not fast sellers around here anyway , I would need to check the actual build dates .
    I see a 20K price difference between a LC200 GXL and a Ti is often mentioned on the net , the figure I have is $8800 difference and the GXL still looks like a poverty pack compared to the Ti
    We bought ours to replace a heavily modified HD 110 defender. We needed a family friendly spacious vehicle for our growing family. The boxes i needed to tick were safety, space, comfort, offroad ability and power.

So my research led me to 4 options. 1. pajero exceed, 2. disco 5, 3. 200 series 4. Patrol
    Now to be honest the patrol only became an option after i stumbled on Daves you tube channel now know as "dash offroad".

We (the mrs and i) looked carefuly at all the options and i honestly thought id walk away with the pajero as i thought it was excellent value for money, has a reliablity reputation that most cant match and genuinely like the look of them kitted out. Anyway mrs hated it and said it looked cheap with too much plastic. Fair enough i said.
    Disco 5........reads well on paper but i just couldnt handle all the electrics. Honestly its fancier than my phone. Being a LR man at heart driving a disco would make me feel like im almost cheating on a partner as to me LR stands for extreme adventure and disco is no defender! Also all new untested engine and platform.....ruled out. Mrs liked it i didnt so all things being fair we ruled it out as she hated the pajero.
    200 gxl is what we tested as the sahara was way too expensive. I refuse to spend that on a jap car! Well ticked a lot of boxes but i just couldnt understand the price point and why so many people are attracted to them. In saying that it was leading the race and i thought thats probably going to be it.

Now i mentioned that i stumbled onto the patrol after coming across Daves youtube cgannel the night after testing the 200. First impression was POWER and lots of it. Looking further into it and researching further i found the TI represented excellent value for money and left decent money in the budget for some camp friendly mods and accessories to be fitted in time. So after all this researching and dreaming of ideas we went to our local nissan dealer and looked at one. Mrs sat in it and loved it! The rest is history. Paid $77k for a series 4 TI with extended warranty, rear tow kit and front tinted windows. I was happy with that price.

Fuel so far after 15000kms (and i have never reset the computer since day 1) is reading 14 liters per 100km average. Now i live in the eastern suburbs of sydeny so half those kms have been in stop start traffic. On the highway at 115kms i get 10-12 and 17-20 around the eastern suburbs.

If u do a lot of stop start driving and love economy this is not the car for you! People will provably blast me for that comment but its true. The thing is capable of drinking more than an Ashes winning cricket team combined!
    But what it does have is decent highway driving economy, power that no other equivalent 4wd can match and safety. Did i say power....
    I put my family in it, set the gps to my location get on the motorway and set the cruise control on 115km and relax...........unitl i see a 200 and absolutely blast past them on purpose. I know; im a big kid at heart! Love it

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1nando For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (18th June 2018), Plasnart (1st September 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @nissannewby they are very good figures for the Y62
    a local guy with the V8 troopy First model gets 10 per 100 kph
    How true that is I dint kmow take it a grain of salt a troopy is a big heavy brick.
    I had a SBC in a troopy HWY I returned 18/100kph off road I used gas.
    The new V8s are very efficient these days and bang for buck my money would be on the Y62 every day
    of the week
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

1nando (5th May 2018)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info , I haven't decided yet still seeing what's around , there is a few new Y62's in yards around here and quite a few on carsales , most of them have been on the lot for some time , still 2017 models some series 3 and some series 4 , is there much difference between the 2 ,
    I was told that the auto is a CVT is that right .
    Regards Jacko

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast