User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3.0 td engine performance part

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing I noticed was that after fitting 285’s (33’s) to my car, it changed my gearing. The little 4cyl was finding it harder to get off the line especially with the camper on the back on hill starts. I had a manual where your auto will be better, but keep that in mind.
    I know of a few people that now have gone down a size from 33’s to equivalent to a 275 (32 )inch and find towing is better and over all it’s it’s better than standard, and if your not going seriously off road, why go for 33’s except for looks ?

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-san View Post
    I found the lid that I was on about and I`m on the desk top comp, so I can copy and paste what I`m on about. Hope it helps in some way.
    https://patrolapart.com.au/product/h...ox-lid-gu-zd30

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Kai-san IMO, agree/good idea to install Catch Can(Provent 200), Tillix/needle (even for CRD), the 3" H/F exhaust and improve your induction so she can breath easy (air intake).

As stated above, need to measure your engine boost pressure so you can set Tillix for max boost without limp and you will need a means of clearing fault codes eg: when you over boost and get limp (ie: causes loss of power/boost). The UltraGauge EM Plus (can buy direct from US manufacturer - approx 150AUD) is a good choice as it provides various performance data (including boost pressure) and used to clear trouble/fault codes(limp). When fitting exhaust, install an Exhaust Gas Temp (EGT) gauge and fit a pyro probe in your exhaust dump pipe. As I mentioned, the UltraGaugew EM Plus will give boost pressure via the OBD11 port(this is what the UltraGauge plugs into. This is a good option to observe boost performance and other parameters that are useful. I use UltraGauge in conjunction with VDO boost gauge (boost @Turbo and to observe pressure drop across cooler).

http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/ultragauge_wired.htm

There are other mods to consider but these are a good start.
    Last edited by Bidja; 8th April 2019 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Deleted "cheap option" Do not have a smart phone, mine only (Dumb) makes and receives calls.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to go even cheaper for OBDII management & info, you can get the Torque app for your smartphone. It's a very good tool and it costs $7.50 I think. You need a bluetooth OBDII dongle so your phone can talk to your ECU, but they're around $10 and you get them anywhere, try eBay.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 10G For This Useful Post:

Hodge (9th April 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.)If I block the egr, will it give me any fault display in the dashboard? Will I be able to clear the fault with the bluetooth dongle?
    B.) Do I have to disable the swirl valve after egr block or is it optional? Can't find any 'how to' on internet

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Going up in tyre size wont give you better ltr\Km.
    265s return about 12-13 ltr per 100ks
    I return 15 ltr per 100 ks sitting on about 105kph
    on the hume going to the Murray, running 285s
    but 275s as suggested will give you an extra 25mm clearance.
    Check and maintain your tyre pressures to suit conditions.
    I also have a tigged intercooler, larger scoop and a DP chip set on about 5.
    dawes valve , egr block and a needle valve to control spool rate
    Its a small engine in a big car so dont expect ferrari like performance.
    Mine is an 04 3ltr Di
    Last edited by threedogs; 16th April 2019 at 08:33 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    disabling the swirl valve really only applies to di models and not the crd like yours. blocking th egr can cause the fault warning light to come on but you can read and clear the code with a scangauge/ultra gauge tourque app. 33 inch tyres will give you about 1 inch extra clearance but will rob power from the motor and cost in fuel economy.basically i would start with fitting a catch can ( this will help keep the maf sensor and intercooler free of blowby residue ) and clean the maf sensor at every oil change. then fit a scangauge or similar . i have one permanently mounted to the dash gauge binical where i can keep an eye on the boost . crd's can generally run higher boost than di's without hitting limp mode. i have run mine up to 24psi and have never hit limp mode , i have it set now so it rarely goes over 18psi .then i would sugest fitting a snorkel , safari is good but if you can afford it , a 4inch snorkel to the airbox would be better especially if you decided to upgrade your air box and intercooler to get more power later. next i would fit a dawes/tillix and needle valves and then a 3inch exhaust . if you fit the exhaust first it can sometimes play havoc with the boost . then do the egr if you want.at that point i would asses how it is going as it would probably do the job well at that point, remembering that it is only a 3litre motor and will never be a torque beast

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A.)If I block the egr, will it give me any fault display in the dashboard? Will I be able to clear the fault with the bluetooth dongle?
    B.) Do I have to disable the swirl valve after egr block or is it optional? Can't find any 'how to' on internet
    Yep, you can clear the EGR 0401 code with the bluetooth dongle & app. That app can also display lots of info frokm the ECU such as boost, engine temp, engine load. I have mine setup so I can see engine temp, revs & load. I have gauges for boost & EGTs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A.)If I block the egr, will it give me any fault display in the dashboard?
    EGR _ Stock ECU with EGR blocked will bring on (illuminate) the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), or check engine light. With ECU remap the EGR can be turned off(no MIL for this). Also after a few weeks the ECU can learn and MIL may only come on occasionally. MIL can stay on as does not cause harm or lack of performance but just annoying.

Disable Swirl Valve _ Have not done it myself to date (CRD/remap ECU). With remap understand it is not required, need to question this further. People do it for CRD but not essential at all .
    To disable, need to close off vacuum supply to swirl valve or unplug electrical connector at swirl valve and place a 330ohm 1 watt carbon film resistor (Jaycar part number RR2762/2 pack) across the terminal points in plug and tape up to prevent moisture ingress. Throttle plate remains open(more air low down). Swirl valve located drivers side of eng just above EGR radiator assy.

Bought resistor myself to try out, was going to do mod a couple of days ago while changing fuel filter out, but could not get to it as I run a large JT intercooler and needs to come off (maybe over Easter when most are up the bush)...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12