Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 5th gear went Pop

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dom14 View Post
    Ideally, any energy loss that is caused by a mismatch of torque conversion should able to be corrected by employing the correct diff ratio. And hopefully that should fix any energy loss. I like to think the slightly bigger box ideally shouldn't cause any significant loss of energy, 'cos after all the interior components are near identical, but just slightly bigger. A heavy duty clutch may be necessary to match a high revving RB30 with the TB42 gearbox.

There is a thread somewhere on how to fit an auto tranny onto a GQ RB30.
    the point would be that the bigger heavier gears of a tb/td box would take more energy to get spinning, a similar effect to if you were to double the weight of the flywheel
    gone to the dark side 2017 vdj 79 dc

2. The Following User Says Thank You to billyj For This Useful Post:

mudnut (15th January 2018)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billyj View Post
    the point would be that the bigger heavier gears of a tb/td box would take more energy to get spinning, a similar effect to if you were to double the weight of the flywheel
    I was hoping the extra angular momentum of those heavier items like flywheel, gear etc would eventually compensate for the initial energy loss by the gathered extra inertia. Sure,... the take off can be bit more expensive than the lighter gearbox, but may be the extra energy spent can be recovered while cruising, the same idea as it would happen from a slightly heavier flywheel, in theory of course. I'm sure there are other factors that goes into it that might make my argument valid or invalid.

My point being, it might be the mismatch of torque ratio conversions that cause the extra fuel consumption, rather than slightly heavier gears. RB30 gearbox is purposely designed to efficiently convert the torque of the RB30 engine to the desired ratio on each gear and TB42/TD42 boxes doing the same thing for those engines. That's why I was hoping that some fiddling with the diff ration might(or might not) be able to correct the torque conversion ratio(s) and fuel consumption to an acceptable level.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by themage21 View Post
    In 2016, I blew mine driving along the freeway home, 110kph, no towing and minimal on-board load. Zero warning, just went bang.
    Yep, and that concerns me a fair bit, 'cos if it happens in the middle of an off road track when going on solo, it can end up bad.
    Of course, going solo off road too far is a no no, but there are nuts who does that occasionally, like myself.

There are some synthetic additives out there to add to gear oil to make things run smoother and get more k's out of a box.
    Dunno how good they are though.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep, and that concerns me a fair bit, 'cos if it happens in the middle of an off road track when going on solo, it can end up bad.
    Of course, going solo off road too far is a no no, but there are nuts who does that occasionally, like myself.

There are some synthetic additives out there to add to gear oil to make things run smoother and get more k's out of a box.
    going solo off road by oneself is not a no no...you just have to be prepared,,,enough food n water,stay by your car if something goes pair shaped,,they always find the vehicle first...
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th January 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudnut View Post
    I bought a secondhand box through a local business. After towing a van to the wreckers, it developed a whine in a cluster bearing,(1st, 2nd, 3rd and 5th). 4th is perfect. The box was only in my Patrol for 25000 before the noise started. I believe I should have at least bought a reco box.

The one on Ebay, may not have the upgraded 5th gear, so you might end up in the exact same situation in no time.
    BTW, assuming you still have the old bad gearbox in the garage, it may worth getting the rebuild kit from Bearings Wholesalers and have a crack at it yourself. I don't think the kit comes with gears, but comes with all the bearings and synchros. A dial indicator may be necessary for the job, but you can buy an adequate one from ebay. You probably wanna open up the old one first and see if there are any broken gear splines, 'cos buying those gears new can be pretty pricey.

I have sworn few times in the past not to touch transmissions at all(manual or auto), but the temptation is still here. What I don't have is the time and space.
    Last edited by dom14; 15th January 2018 at 09:47 PM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Avo View Post
    going solo off road by oneself is not a no no...you just have to be prepared,,,enough food n water,stay by your car if something goes pair shaped,,they always find the vehicle first...
    Yeah, I've done with a sat phone in the past. I meant the recovery of the vehicle can end up as dangerously expensive unless there are mates not too far who can help with dragging the vehicle to a main road.

My anxiety actually isn't about dying(I hope) 'cos I do carry lot of dry food & water. It is about having to let go the vehicle.
    You get attached to the troll after few years, or at least I do.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've done with a sat phone in the past. I meant the recovery of the vehicle can end up as dangerously expensive unless there are mates not too far who can help with dragging the vehicle to a main road.

My anxiety actually isn't about dying(I hope) 'cos I do carry lot of dry food & water. It is about having to let go the vehicle.
    You get attached to the troll after few years, or at least I do.
    meh i bought it for the wife..easy come easy go......
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is a '00 GU - part of the bunch that had the crappy 5th gear from factory. It had towed camper trailers in the previous owners usage, not sure what it did in owners before then. It lasted 260k - not bad for a second rate part. But if you have to take out the gbox one way or another, I'd always vote reco, unless you know that the replacement box is from outside of the affected year range.

Additives aren't going to help, because it's not a heat/wear thing, the splines actually tear and round over from mechanical overload/fatigue. I've got my old layshaft and gear and you can see where the shoddy gear never engaged with the end of the spline. Outside of that, the shaft and gears all look like they're brand new, because of regular oil changes.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year was the gearbox issue fixed by Nissan - & what was the fix? A beefed up 5th gear pinion?

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    What year was the gearbox issue fixed by Nissan - & what was the fix? A beefed up 5th gear pinion?
    I believe it was a problem up till some stage on '02. From all my reading you are safe of the box is from an '03 or up. Mine was an '01.

Yep the solution is longer splines of the main shaft for 5th gear to engage on, and I believe a slightly wider 5th gear.

Further more my research has shown that the CRD has lower gear ratios for the first 3 and a taller 5th. I'm going brand new box so should all be sweet and I am getting the CRD box for a lower first gear.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast