Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood's trunk installation on GQ Y60 Patrol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurage View Post
    Thank you about all your advices! It’s very rewarding. After few research, I will change a bit my plan and buy a roof tent instead of sleeping inside the car. This solution will give me more space to make a better inside organization.

The reason to thinks about realize my own “4wd motorhome” is because until now I had not seen any good inside organization. And if I will live during one year with my car, I want to be sure that my solution is the best for my daily use. I’m conscious it could be difficult sometimes, but I’m really manual, and good with 3d and 2d plans, I will prepare all the layout.
    Moreover, the idea is to work for free in a farm for 2 or 3 months (I ever had an experience in a farm 1 year ago during 3 months in England) and working during the half of the day for the farm and the rest of the day with my 4wd. The Idea is to use all the tools they have to help me in my project. I will help them and they will help me, I think it could be a great deal for them and me too (if you know good address near Melbourne or near a big city, please let me know)

I don’t want to buy a motorhome or a caravan package because I want to be 100% freedom, go and sleep everywhere I want on the west coast and around the country (with the respect of the local rules and throw the garbage in a good place of course)

The Idea to bought a 4wd beforehand could be good, but I will prefer to see the quality of the care before to buy something and I know no one in Australia. how can I trust someone I don't know?
    And yes, buying used vehicles could be dangerous, I will obtain lot of information about parts I need to check before to buy it. I have a little experience in mechanical, but not at all in 4wd. If you have good advices about verifications, please let me know

And yes, I still have the idea to get the dimensions of the GQ!
    If you're set with the idea of converting a GQ Patrol into a motorhome you have the information you need now.
    I would suggest you to acquire an off road capable camper trailer as above to carry your gear, etc because you may find the
    the GQ rear is fairly limiting for your motorhome touring needs. Roof top tent as pointed out by @mudnut is also a good idea. Leaving most of the living space activities on the rooftop tent leaves enough room in the back of the vehicle to carry some necessary gear for 4WD'ing.

As for your project of converting the GQ in a farm in your spare time using their tools, I would like to advise you that you may not have all the tools and necessary bits and pieces hanging on the tool board for quick access. You may end up having to purchase tools as well as not having quick access to raw material, depending on where the farm is. It is generally not my idea of touring a country to include building projects as yours, but we are all different individuals with different skill sets and different needs. What takes me months to plan and build may be two weeks for you.

Where ever is the farm you're planning to stay, make sure there is a hardware store nearby(like Bunnings,www.bunnings.com.au or Mitre10 www.mitre10.com.au) so you can buy all the raw material and necessary tools quickly.
    Last edited by dom14; 15th October 2017 at 01:15 PM.
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Seb mate, In regards your question for canvas canopy suppliers/guidance. I only meant to say consider buying a 'ute' complete with it already done. Fresh/New canvas on an already frame can cost many hundreds if not a few thousands of dollars to buy. I am personally not a believer of roof top tents for fast moving campers/workers. They are fantastic but again not so practical for moving quickly like a tray back with capabilities too! Who knows, a farmer may happily pay you some money too with a useful truck :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th October 2017)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi again everyone,

Thank you Dom14 about your advices to buy an off-road camping trailer, it could be another good solution to have more place! Depends of the price again of course but I will see if there are brands who are not too expensive.
    And yes, definitely the roof top could be a really good solution
    And yes, converting the GQ in a farm could be another problem to find the tools, but most of the farm possesses basics tools to work wood like electrical saw, electrical screw driver, driller and then… I know if I want to do a perfect job with the wood I will require specifics tools but the goal is to do a good job, not a perfect one
    Thank you about the name to find hardware store, I will see if the farm is nearby these shops! That why I planned to start my trip near Melbourne or Sydney, hoping to find a farm close to these hardware store!
    And yes, if I don’t prepare all the plans correctly and all the things what I will need I will lose precious time, that why I start to prepare all the things 6 months before my departure

Finally thank you again MB for this precision, I will see if this idea can correspond to my project

If someone have measured on his GQ the dimensions what I need I will be really happy to confirm with the precedent picture sent by “bigcol”

See you later guys! And thank you again!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Gaurage For This Useful Post:

MB (16th October 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If someone have measured on his GQ the dimensions what I need I will be really happy to confirm with the precedent picture sent by “bigcol”
    Pictures @Bigcol pasted above do have the information in detail. It may be bit unclear, but enlarging the pictures on the browser or your graphic program should be able to open up the details.

I'll see what I can do tomorrow with mine by measuring few basic measurements. But, I'm sure this information is already available in the forums.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dom ! I already checked in the forums but I can't find these measurements...

Anyway, I will try to do something with the picture of @Bigcol.

But if you can send me your measurments too, it will be really nice ! Thank you

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Dom ! I already checked in the forums but I can't find these measurements...

Anyway, I will try to do something with the picture of @Bigcol.

But if you can send me your measurments too, it will be really nice ! Thank you
    Ok, cool. I'll do it later today and post it here. Sorry, I've been pretty busy and tired lately and forgot about it.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here it is.

These measurements apply to factory setup GQ Patrols LWB(long wheel base), which is the most popular and numerous Patrol model atm in Australia(I think), an undoubtedly the most popular(I am biased) .

All the measurement are interior measurements while taking into account the practical distance rather than visual distance.
    For example window to windows distance doesn't make sense as the side poles of the body sticks out more.

Distance from back of the front seat to back of the rear barn door:
    Seat moved forward completely: 205cm
    Seat moved back completely: 180cm

I would take the 180cm because that is the realistic distance. Most guys have to move seat back closer to the last point.
    As you know, the rear barn door is sparewheel door is angled. So, the hood distance and floor distance is slightly different.
    180cm is closer to the hood distance.

Below graphic shows the other two relevant measurements.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dom14; 21st October 2017 at 11:36 AM.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still advice you to take an off road camper than spending time on this project, but it all depends on your skills.
    It would take me ages to finish such a project as I tend to be a perfectionist when it comes to design something like this as well
    as inexperience with such projects. If you're skilled and experienced, I guess you can do it fairly quickly. However I am not all
    certain you can do it cheaply as you would have to learn pretty hard and quickly where to get hold of the raw material without spending too much money or time.
    Few more mods on the way
    Cheetah Outreach

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just a thought @Gaurage

instead of building something - taking your time and money

most backpackers that come to Australia only bother with,

roof rack to hold storage tubs (usually $10-$50 from Bunnings)
    cheap tarp - again from Bunnings - to cover goods on roof rack
    fold seats down, throw a foam mattress on top of that
    camp table and a couple of chairs and other goods

if you have a look at this Gumtree ad, its a Jeep, but comes with all the camping equipment.....

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/sout...ort/1163465048

just an idea,........
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcol For This Useful Post:

dom14 (25th October 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12