Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does 98 Octane petrol improve performance of 4.2 petrol GQ

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Does 98 Octane petrol improve performance of 4.2 petrol GQ

I , I come from a V8 Range Rover 4.6 L engine. Now own a beautiful Nissan patrol GQ with the 4.2 Petrol. In my Rangy running 98 Octane Petrol ( V-power , Ultimate, etc. etc. ) made a definite difference in performance. Has anyone similar experiences with the 4.2 L. ... or not ;-) ??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    will make stuff all difference unless you advance the timing to get the most out of it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billyj For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th July 2016), LandRoverGhost (12th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That makes sense !!! So use to that Computer Controlled Rangie - I totally forgot about timing advance etc. - have to learn it all over again ;-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LandRoverGhost For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (12th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my old laser went from 300km a tank on e10 to 500 km a tank on 98 with a msd 6al, coil, and timing and carby tune. it also hauled a$$. traction became the biggest problem
    if its worth doin its worth over doin

8. The Following User Says Thank You to garett For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah my old XR6 ute loved the 98. After a tank or so it would return 50 to 100kms better per tank with better performance the whole time.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

LandRoverGhost (12th July 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - so 'just' using 98 is not enough - so much is clear - tuning it to 98 is the only way !

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    makes some things run hotter too. No idea about a big old Nissan 4.2 though.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This one is an old furfy.
    I also do a bit on a lawn contractors forum, and there is the anecdotal theory that 98 premium will make the mowers go harder too. (rubbish)
    The only reason to have a high octane fuel is to cope with higher compression ratios.
    If you have a compression ratio of 10:1 or higher, igniting the fuel the same BTDC as a 8:1 engine will burn the fuel faster and increase cylinder pressure enough to make the charge detonate (pinging). TO avoid pinging the timing has to be retarded in high compression engines that are trying to run standard unleaded fuel.
    If you have a compression ratio of 8.5:1 (tb42), running 98 premium means the fuel will burn slower - effectively retarding the timing and making the engine run hotter with less efficiency. Modern engines that set ignition timing based on knock sensors will run almost identical to running the engine on 91 unleaded. However the ignition timing will spark further before TDC which can rob an engine of power.

If you really want to test the theory, run your engine on LPG - it has an octane equivalent of 110. = Runs hot with less power.
    Increase the compression to around 11:1 and run LPG = better fuel economy, more power and cooler running.
    Run 11:1 compression with wet injection LPG and you'll get better power and fuel consumption than the same engine fuelled with petrol.

May as well try feed a bulldog rib eye fillet steak to make it run like a greyhound.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    Best way to deal with a "Can't" is to chop off the "t" and brew it in boiled water for a few minutes.
    Sip on the "t", and consider what you've got left to work with

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Arfa Brayne For This Useful Post:

dom14 (15th July 2016), jasonwoodland (19th April 2018), LandRoverGhost (13th July 2016), MudRunnerTD (27th August 2016), PRIGBY (3rd August 2016), threedogs (24th August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arfa Brayne View Post
    This one is an old furfy.
    I also do a bit on a lawn contractors forum, and there is the anecdotal theory that 98 premium will make the mowers go harder too. (rubbish)
    The only reason to have a high octane fuel is to cope with higher compression ratios.
    If you have a compression ratio of 10:1 or higher, igniting the fuel the same BTDC as a 8:1 engine will burn the fuel faster and increase cylinder pressure enough to make the charge detonate (pinging). TO avoid pinging the timing has to be retarded in high compression engines that are trying to run standard unleaded fuel.
    If you have a compression ratio of 8.5:1 (tb42), running 98 premium means the fuel will burn slower - effectively retarding the timing and making the engine run hotter with less efficiency. Modern engines that set ignition timing based on knock sensors will run almost identical to running the engine on 91 unleaded. However the ignition timing will spark further before TDC which can rob an engine of power.

If you really want to test the theory, run your engine on LPG - it has an octane equivalent of 110. = Runs hot with less power.
    Increase the compression to around 11:1 and run LPG = better fuel economy, more power and cooler running.
    Run 11:1 compression with wet injection LPG and you'll get better power and fuel consumption than the same engine fuelled with petrol.

May as well try feed a bulldog rib eye fillet steak to make it run like a greyhound.
    Tanks for the detailed and very sensible reply. I did actually increase the compression ratio on my old Range Rover P38 - hence better running on 98. But sort of suspected what you explain so well for my TB42 , it runs already extremely well on LPG though. Not sure if previous owner worked on compression.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if yours is a TB42 with Gas conversion @LandRoverGhost

some of what Arfa has said is possible

just remember, your petrol will normally be set at about 8*BTDC - and if your Gas has been set up correctly, you should be closer to 16*BTDC

it will depend on who tuned it, and how they tuned it
    for Petrol / Gas economy (so you use both fuels)
    for Petrol (because they dont know how to tune a car with Gas - and they ARE out there)
    for Gas Economy
    for Gas Power
    for Gas Performance

if it has been setup for Gas - using 98 petrol will be a waste of time & money

sounds like the previous owner has it set for Gas Power
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast