Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,339 Times in 765 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How healthy is this battery?

Going away in a few weeks to the middle of the Simpson, be 2 weeks away from everything and living off this battery.

It's my aux battery.

It's a 5 year old Century wet cell yellow & blue battery, don't have the model as I type. I've been using it the past 2 years to run 2 fridges and some lighting.

It's a "maintenance free" battery with a view hole in the top and you can add water to it.

The peep hole is showing green. I checked it with a hydrometer the other month and 1 of the 6 cells (not sure if that's the correct term?) was just into the red on the hydrometer, the others were fine but all sat in the lower half of the green range.

Measured the voltage on the battery while connected after a drive and it read 13.6v.

Thoughts.

And does anyone know if it's possible to get a 120AH battery that is only 300 - 305mm long?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 10G; 31st August 2018 at 12:08 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,311 Times in 6,441 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Any battery mob can load test batteries to see if they are good or not. IMO, I would change it out, purely because you will be relying soley on this battery and taking a chance, is well, a risk. If you wern't going away, I would just use it until it dies completely.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

10G (31st August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate
    That cell is dying, they all need to be similar which when you read the scale on the float should be 1260, the green zone
    That voltage you mention is what is called surface charge. If the battery is let sit for 24 hours it should settle to its normal voltage of around 12.5 to 12.6 volts. The Sg reading on the hydrometer is actually relevant to the volts too.
    Sounds like you need a new Cranker battery
    There is no 120 ah battery in the 305mm case
    We do a 110 ah AGM
    The norm is 90,100,105 and 110 ah in the 305 case
    120,125 and some tell fibs 135 ah in the 330 mm case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

10G (31st August 2018), mudski (31st August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, sounds like it's on the way out.

My problem is space, I aint got enough. I have to have a battery under the bonnet & the largest I can get in there sounds like the 110AH from you Yeti. I was looking at wet cells as I read they can cope best with heat out of all battery types plus they are cheap compared to other types of batteries.

Any suggestions on what I could look at? I was thinking of just going with a Century N70T, they've been making batteries for a million years, not over priced from what I know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As someone who has chewed through batteries like nobody else I've made enough mistakes to now start getting things right and the best decision I ever made was to go gel cell for the aux batteries in the GQ ,I have a local dealer flogging them off for about $220 for 110 amp and although cheap they coped well on the recent trip .
    The only let down was with the solar regulators I chose which I will now address by going Victron or similar , as for your battery showing a green light my daughters battery was also showing green at 8 volts so swap it out for another .
    I do run two aux batteries both gell cell in the GQ ,one under bonnet and one in the back because they are sealed ,both get a work out because the freezer we put in the back of the car and has to cope with whatever temps the day brings such as the Kimberly etc where it was well over 30 the 3 weeks we were there .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

10G (31st August 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The green eye is only reading one cell, which is the cell directly below it.
    If there is a dead cell elsewhere then the in built hydrometer doesn’t mean jack.
    It’s basically just a guide. They also turn black I think if the water is too low.
    Try a Supercharge MRV70L
    105 ah, 760 cca and will both cycle and start the car. The Century N70T is designed just for cycling

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

10G (31st August 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    May not suit for what you want but these babies are awesome... https://itechworld.com.au/products/j...r-car-boat-12v

I was going to suggest for your machine in the other discussion but IIRC yours is 24 Volt?
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (31st August 2018)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    May not suit for what you want but these babies are awesome... https://itechworld.com.au/products/j...r-car-boat-12v

I was going to suggest for your machine in the other discussion but IIRC yours is 24 Volt?
    Haha. No mate, the truck is 12v the cpap machine runs off 24v.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    The green eye is only reading one cell, which is the cell directly below it.
    If there is a dead cell elsewhere then the in built hydrometer doesn’t mean jack.
    It’s basically just a guide. They also turn black I think if the water is too low.
    Try a Supercharge MRV70L
    105 ah, 760 cca and will both cycle and start the car. The Century N70T is designed just for cycling

You reckon the Supercharge will do the trick for my aux battery Yeti? A place that has 'em is less than 50Ks away, bonus!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes they are good. I worked for them for 14 years 🤣
    I used to run 2 of them in my cars once. One for starting and one for the fridge. My thinking is that being the same battery they should charge equally having equal plates etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast