User Tag List

Thread: Inverter, yes or no?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter, yes or no?

I have been seeing, hearing a lot about pure sine wave inverters lately.
    To those that have them I ask, are they good value to the weekend warrior?
    I don't use the Patrol for work so I don't need it for tools.
    I don't take a T.V. when I go camping.
    Am I missing something or are they an accessory for the working bloke?
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have any 240v appliance(s) you want to run from your vehicle you dont need one.

Everyone's needs are different. I use ours to run/recharge laptop, camera batteries, chainsaw batteries. Not practical (unless you have a large battery bank & the means of re-charging it) for any appliance which produces heat.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 3000 watt inverter in the back for drill and mist fan battery recharging and the small washing machine but pretty much everything else is 12 volt .
    We did carry a toaster for a while but it was a pain to store and was always getting in the way so ditched it , so mine does get used but not much and I can run it from five batteries if needed ,two from camper and three from GQ .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the responses. I would only need to recharge camera batteries and laptops but we only go for 3 nights maximum at the moment.
    I will leave it until full retirement and then review the need. With only one 120AH battery it probably wouldn't last long anyway. I do have a 160 watt solar panel but happy for it to run the Engel and a few lights.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the unit listed below. I run everything from an Expresso Coffee Machine to drills and grinders, charge camera batteries etc, great reliable unit, just need to be aware they need large battery leads from battery to inverter, plus you need the alternator and battery capacity to keep one running at full steam, or the battery will die. I run this inverter off a 200amp/hr battery and a 200amp alternator as the charge unit to the battery - works well and has been inservice for over 5 years without fault and wave form does not play havoc with the computer or TV/Satellite dish.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Large-Sh...MAAOSw0IJZwPyo
    Last edited by PeeBee; 1st January 2018 at 11:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking unit @PeeBee also noticed no fuse panel in the back ,couldn't see what the standby power consumption is the one I have at the moment takes a fair bit on standby but the one I sold with the van was milliamps.

Mc4by if you only have one battery and that's a crank steer clear of an inverter .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea what the standby drain is - never use it in that 'mode'. Mine is turned on, used then turned back off. For the benefit of Mc4by, just remember there is a 20 fold current draw on the battery to what is on the nameplate of the appliance you are running at 240V, being if the device draws 1amp at 240V then you will be drawing 20amps plus a bit of more for in-efficiency at 12V. When I run mine, I have the vehicle on fast idle to ensure the voltage at the battery is sitting round 13.8V, however as soon as the 240V load comes on, you will see the battery voltage drop. Most inverters are 'low voltage protected' so they won't run below 10V, which is more or less death zone for a 12V battery anyway.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd January 2018), Mc4by (2nd January 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks GQA,
    I do have a cranker and a 120 AH deep cycle.
    I am thinking it is cheaper to buy and charge a few spare batteries for the camera and a 12 volt laptop charger.
    At least until I go away for more than long weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Nice looking unit @PeeBee also noticed no fuse panel in the back ,couldn't see what the standby power consumption is the one I have at the moment takes a fair bit on standby but the one I sold with the van was milliamps.

Mc4by if you only have one battery and that's a crank steer clear of an inverter .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mc4by For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As stated earlier, if you do not have a need for AC appliance stay away from AC/DC inverters. They also contribute to system losses which cost AHs. I use a 40L Engel, lead lights, and camp over normally for 2 nights (3 full days / veh stays put), all months of the year and never have hooked up PV modules. Size your cable to minimize voltage drop (calculated for max load currents) and use a MPPT all should be sweet.
    I have generated my own stand alone pwr sys for near 30 yrs and larger the inverter the more pwr you want to consume and then you want larger capacity batteries.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bidja For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (2nd January 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 160 watt solar charger, a 40 litre Engel and some camera equipment. So the information given in this thread tells me I don't need an inverter.
    I thank you all for saving me a few $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    As stated earlier, if you do not have a need for AC appliance stay away from AC/DC inverters. They also contribute to system losses which coIst AHs. I use a 40L Engel, lead lights, and camp over normally for 2 nights (3 full days / veh stays put), all months of the year and never have hooked up PV modules. Size your cable to minimize voltage drop (calculated for max load currents) and use a MPPT all should be sweet.
    I have generated my own stand alone pwr sys for near 30 yrs and larger the inverter the more pwr you want to consume and then you want larger capacity batteries.